Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    That is interesting that the piston was hitting on the inner edge there. The angle on the head should be greater that the angle on the crown of the piston so the outer edge should hit first.
    Like I said groupk cuts down the red heads to use in their level 2 kit that might be what is going on here. They would have less angle to suit flat top pistons and they do away with the oring and use gaskets. Would like to see what is really going on here .
    The head gaskets are metal and should not “wear out” you can clean them up and re-use them if needed.

I'm also considering just saying screw it and just spend the $389 on an ADA head kit with 42cc heads... That way I don't waste $65 on oem gaskets since ADA uses o-rings and I'll have brand new heads with confidence in dome size lol. Haven't decided this yet but it's becoming an option.

Oh man, silicone with a head gasket thats pretty scary. I would be pulling that engine to look over everything that guy touched.

Wsm head gaskets work very well,i have multiple sets on high hr ultras. No issues
    Last edited by turboman412; 02-21-2020 at 06:56 PM.

+1
    I measured the chamber on a 36cc head directly next to the spark plug hole and shows about 5/8 of an inch (0.65). It is not a very precise measurement but you get the idea. These have a beefy o-ring around the combustion chamber and use silicone to seal the cooling side. If they are cut down the groove would be gone, the o-ring groove is .075 so overall would be ~ 0.575

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	458365  

+1
    Whats the mark on the piston at the 4 oclock position? Does the arrow on the pistion point to the INTAKE side? I was concerned on the origianal picks when the exhaust manifold to cyclnder was all gooped up with orange RTV.

+1
    Is this the ring gap?

Seems rather large to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring Gap.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	458366  

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Whats the mark on the piston at the 4 oclock position? Does the arrow on the pistion point to the INTAKE side? I was concerned on the origianal picks when the exhaust manifold to cyclnder was all gooped up with orange RTV.
    Splish splash is right, looks like there is a hole in that piston

The RTV on the heads was a little concerning. I vacuumed every cylinder and the cooling holes so hopefully that's good enough. Didn't want to pull the motor. RTV below the heads is fine right? I noticed RTV on the bottom cylinder joint.

As for the heads. If R&D heads had a ridge for an o-ring then mine are definitely milled since mine are flat. Since a 36cc head measured at ~16.5mm deep and mine was 17mm deep, I bet I have 42cc heads that were milled to 36cc. If the ridge is ~1.9mm (0.075 in) and mine is flat that means at least that amount was milled off. So at minimum, a 42cc R&D head should have a depth of 18.4mm (0.725 in).

So to regain this said 1.9mm using oem 0.63mm gaskets, I would need at least 3 head gaskets stacked (1.9mm/0.63mm=~3). Someone earlier in this thread made the same comment needing 3 (not 2) stacked. I have a syringe and 3/8 acrylic plate coming in the mail tomorrow to measure the cc of the head just to double check. If those results agree that these are 36cc heads then it's most likely not possible to stack enough gaskets safely for 42cc chambers.

I'll most likely then buy new or used heads. ADA racing sells the kit with 42cc domes for $389 and free shipping. If anyone has used heads that can beat that price I'll be interested.

+1
    Myself, I didnt care for the one piece head. If the cylinders are not all exactly the same height one would think that would create an issue. If you are looking for something brand new I guess the ADA is your only option because no one really makes parts for these anymore.

Ada is starting to discontinue parts for the 150, so of your after an aftermarket head buy one now. You wont have any fitment issues with the one peice head

If your looking for stock heads let me know, i probably have 3-4 sets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information