Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    I read through your original post too quickly. I didn’t realize you yourself never did a compression test. That’s where I would start so you know what you have and not trust what someone else told you. People come up with all kind of weird stories.
    Pull the plugs out and spin the motor over to make sure no oil is in the engine. Then do a compression test and post results

Correct, the ski is currently all buttoned up in my garage. Once my battery Tender arrives tomorrow I'm gonna do the compression test (want to make sure battery is strong and don't wanna kill it). I'll run the starter with plugs off and make sure any fogging oil drains down and then do the compression test a few times. I'll report back with what I find. Eventually I'll at the least pull the heads and replace with OEM head gaskets. I can take pictures of the head and post them up. I've just been putting off taking the heads off since I'll have to mess with resealing them once removed.

I also did a real quick calculation and found, with the assumption of 36cc heads, that I would need double the stock head gasket (0.63mm) to gain 6cc (back to 42cc heads). Not sure if I can double up on the OEM gaskets or buy thicker ones. Or even make my own?

Why not run it on the hose let it burn off excess oil and then perform a test?

I will once it warms up. Currently been 10-30 F here in Michigan and 1 of my 2 spigots froze and burst... But yes once I can run a hose to it that'll be one of the first things I'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Pull the plugs out and spin the motor over to make sure no oil is in the engine. Then do a compression test and post results
    I performed a couple compression tests and all lined up with what the seller told me. Each cylinder was hitting about 170-175psi. So I’ll probably pull one of the heads soon and post pics of it to see if we can identify the cc’s.

+1
    I saw you pulled one head. Did it have an o-ring? I will measure the 2 different heads tonight if I have time.

R&d heads use head gaskets not orings

Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    I saw you pulled one head. Did it have an o-ring? I will measure the 2 different heads tonight if I have time.
    That picture with the head off was actually from the seller when he was messing with it. I haven't taken the heads off yet but my PWC cart came in today so once I move the ski from the trailer to the cart I'll take the heads off. Just hate working over a trailer... Will take pictures tonight and post tonight or tomorrow morning.

Head gasket I was looking at were these at $15 each: https://www.partzilla.com/product/ka...f366a174c3520#
    Should be oem. Anyone know if I can stack these if need be? Maybe just peanut butter and jelly them with some RTV?

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Are the heads on upside down? Doesn't the pisser go to the top?
    As for this, I think you might be right lol. I didn't install the heads but from a quick google search it seems the pisser went toward the top of the head. Anyone agree/disagree I should rotate the heads?

+1
    I can’t remember for sure but I think gaskets are 0.010 thick so you would need 3. Again I can’t remember for sure but I think squish on the red heads are 0.055 if you add 3 head gaskets then you are at ~ 0.085. Probably lose some punch, at that point better to just go with stock heads.

Alright so I only had time to remove one head but here it is. I took some measurements as well.
    - Gasket thickness = 0.33mm (oem said it should be 0.63)
    - Combustion chamber depth = 17mm (caliper measured using a 1mm feeler gauge so 18-1=17mm)
    - Chamber width (excluding squish zone) = 62mm

Notes of concern:
    - Head gasket seemed pretty worn and apparently needed RTV to seal.
    - Some pitting in the combustion chamber
    - Squish ring contact on piston head and possible rounding on head squish edge? This is my biggest concern because I'm not sure if a piston will contact a head even if there was no head gasket or if this is a sign my rod bearing is bad?

Next steps:
    - Measure squish clearance using some solder and rotate the PTO.
    - Pull the other 2 heads and assess the situation
    - Buy new head gaskets. Anyone have any suggestions for this? Just OEM or something else?

I hope I don't have to buy new heads since I already spent $2200 to buy the ski but I gotta get it running. If it comes to it I might be in the market for some 42cc heads!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	458348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	458349  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information