Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    +1
    Since the nuts are machined for balancing, are you saying that whenever you have to adjust the slip, the SC will need to be rebalanced? I've seen balancing marks on the newer X-chargers but never had a problem with rebuilding them with the OEM kit and not having them balanced.

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Here is the TRUTH!
    Sea Doo claims that these superchargers cannot be rebuilt, without balancing afterwards. You can see in this below in Sea Doo's video, the balancing process is at 23 seconds into the video. The supercharger is balanced as a complete assembly and the double nuts are ground to give the supercharger a perfect balance. See above posted image of the double nuts that have been ground down in the balancing process.

You can search any OEM online store and you will see that Sea Doo does NOT offer rebuild kits, or parts for these superchargers. Sea Doo says these are not rebuildable, due to the needed balancing process. Surely they know a little bit about what they're talking about?
    You think they are saying this to deceive us? Don't you think they would make tons more money off of us by selling us many rebuild kits and parts, like they do with the 185/215/230/255/260 superchargers vs "maybe" selling us one or two replacement superchargers over the life of the ski?

This forums online store has sold replacement "Easy Rider" parts for the 300 superchargers for a long time. I have seen people change parts, rebuild, etc. and did not balance and they are so far so good, and I have seen others fail bearings within hours due to an imbalance issue. So, maybe you'll get lucky, maybe you wont? Maybe it's worth sending your supercharger to Art at Engine Tech, or IMPROS after you rebuild it so they can balance it. Maybe it's not worth it to you and you risk destroying a $1300 supercharger after putting in a $600 rebuild kit in it. Ultimately, it's your decision. But to say that Sea Doo does not balance these superchargers like they say they do (as a complete assembly) is absolutely false!

go to 23 seconds in
    Yes they are balanced not sure why some folks say they are not , you might want to look into the 230 they are also non service as per brp last I looked .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adjustments.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	458782

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Not that I am questioning the logic behind their setup but something still seems off for me with this setup. Unlike BRP, I have not done any design/analysis on their product so I am viewing this purely as an outsider.

(Enters the Armchair Engineer)

On a vibration critical part spinning 40k rpm plus, I find it odd that they would leave the balancing up to something that is not tied to a fixed reference point. Yes, you can bottom the nut out on a shoulder, but due to differing torque values, manufacturing tolerances, even just due to repetitive torsional loading of the shaft via the gear you can still have angular displacement which would throw off the balance of the system. That also ignores clutch wear, washer wear, and even vibration due to the drive gear being imbalanced (basically you balance the whole system at one point, the drive gear rotates 90 degrees from slip and the whole system is now unbalanced)

I also find it really odd that there are "as forged" or other "raw" surfaces on the shaft. In my mind, it makes WAY more sense to fabricate the parts with a higher degree of dimensional control. At a minimum I would expect the shaft to have its own balance marks on it similar to how most charger wheels do.

On the flip side, doing it this way allows BRP to sell the charger as a unit and claim (correctly, based on the design conditions) that it is not serviceable. I.E. because it is balanced and ground, that becomes a portion of the process.

I still think its weird.

Long live the Eaton-Kawasaki TVS Blower!

Disclaimer: In no way am I an expert on this particular set of components.
    While based on engineering fundamentals and reasonable mechanical aptitude, I am purely expressing an ill-informed opinion created by my own abstract and outsider view of the information presented above. I am also not disagreeing with any of the facts or "facts" presented above. This is purely for my own curiosity and to advance the conversation. Any and all statements above shall be considered for entertainment purposes only and for starting arguments. It is not this poster's responsibility for any harm or property damage that may arise from improper use of the above statements. If you hurt yourself or others, it is your own damn fault.

Sean

They are statically balanced after the supercharger is completely assembled. The double nuts are ground during the balance procedure. See above pic.
    I will need the Seadoo dealer to replace my compressor wheel in May on my 16 300 RXTX. Does that mean they will throw off the balancing of the unit when they do this job?

Should I still go ahead with the change or keep the OEM wheel and risk a failure?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flnsx View Post
    I will need the Seadoo dealer to replace my compressor wheel in May on my 16 300 RXTX. Does that mean they will throw off the balancing of the unit when they do this job?

Should I still go ahead with the change or keep the OEM wheel and risk a failure?

That's a good question. I cannot get a straight answer from Sea Doo on this. Please ask them and see what they tell you.
    Their shop manual states to not replace any parts of the supercharger, see attached.
    I would assume that they are balancing the replacement impellers independently, just like the aftermarket impellers are, and it's never an issue.
    Let us know what they tell you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	460077  

hi guys!!remember the warranty bulletin from 2016 when the midle blades broke and brp had to replace the impeller with another?well the impeller replacement was done by the brp dealer(i changed some as well) and there was no balancing proces to do!!service bulletin never said nothing about balancing!!!so sometimes brp contradicts itself!!!
    about the 2 nuts that are machined .....,its not for balancing,its made for prevent unscrewing!!

regards

+1
    Have you done a slip test before and after torquing the last nut , the overall slip changed after it’s torqued

That's a good question. I cannot get a straight answer from Sea Doo on this. Please ask them and see what they tell you.
    Their shop manual states to not replace any parts of the supercharger, see attached.
    I would assume that they are balancing the replacement impellers independently, just like the aftermarket impellers are, and it's never an issue.
    Let us know what they tell you.
    If I bought a new supercharger for the 2016 RXT-X would the impeller wheel be a gen2 or did they make more improvements too the impellers since 2016?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by flnsx View Post
    If I bought a new supercharger for the 2016 RXT-X would the impeller wheel be a gen2 or did they make more improvements too the impellers since 2016?
    The replacement superchargers sold in the GreenHulk Store have the updated impeller
    and they are sold at 12% discount
    https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...oducts_id=4995

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information