Looking for a decent GPS recommendation

Just looking for some idea's on a reasonably priced GPS for a new FX. I don't want anything with sonar just need speed and some basic mapping. So what's a good match for the FX and what's needed for a Ram mount to hold it?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How large do you want the display screen to be?

Do you want to see detail on the marine charts while riding at speed?

Are you looking for a proper marine grade chartplotter unit with marine charts?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How large do you want the display screen to be?

Do you want to see detail on the marine charts while riding at speed?

Are you looking for a proper marine grade chartplotter unit with marine charts?

No...something smaller, probably hand held (large phone size) would be fine. Only need basic charts. Mostly interested in accurate speed, distance travelled and a course line. Might end up using it on ATV's, Snowmobiles etc.

Costco has both of these, anybody have any experience with either? Also need to know what Ram hardware is needed.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...=hand+held+gps

+1
    Biggest advantage to having something handheld/cell phone size as opposed to a giant one. I dont think either size at anything over 45mph you will be able to read. Is if you catch a wake the wrong way, the smaller one isnt gonna knock your teeth out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    Biggest advantage to having something handheld/cell phone size as opposed to a giant one. I dont think either size at anything over 45mph you will be able to read.

... if you catch a wake the wrong way, the smaller one isnt gonna knock your teeth out.
    Not sure what you mean by either size, but I can read my (admittedly large) 9 inch Garmin screen at speeds up to rather fast. Except in really rough water where the chart details are too jiggly. But I can still read the digital readouts (such as speed) on the big screen even then.

I mount my big screen unit forward of the handlebars and offset to one side. I have had moments when the conditions force my upper body forward. There is a lot of watercraft hardware (hood, handlebars, mirrors, etc) that I could potentially impact, my Garmin does stand up but is off to the left side.

I prefer to see the chart details clearly at speed and there is a safety benefit to knowing where I am going. I am comfortable with the risk of whacking the Garmin off its mount if the situation occurs.

I used to have smaller GPS units and found the readability of the chart became difficult at any decent speed. Even a 5 inch Garmin is hard to read when the water is anything other than smooth.

I see a lot of smaller GPS units mounted on or below the handlebars, which I find forced me to spend too long looking way down and focussing close in on the screen when I should be keeping my view forward.

Mounting a small screen unit forward of the handlebar made the small screen seem even smaller and harder to read at speed.

+1
    Alot of pwc riding injury accure, when the operator is thrown forward over the bars. Due to hitting or crossing a wake, I'd take a smooth hood instead of a square brick for my face to hit. Also if you are operating in shallow unknown areas, travelling at speed relying on chart data as you are traveling is never a good idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    Alot of pwc riding injury accure, when the operator is thrown forward over the bars. Due to hitting or crossing a wake, I'd take a smooth hood instead of a square brick for my face to hit.

Also if you are operating in shallow unknown areas, travelling at speed relying on chart data as you are traveling is never a good idea.
    Then mount the thing lower down and/or to the side somewhere. My point is more about choosing a screen size that is large enough to be properly readable when moving.

Units with bigger/better displays cost more, and I suspect lots of riders choose their first GPS unit based on how inexpensive and small they think they can tolerate. When it comes time to buy the next one, choosing a larger screen seems to be a common story.

I often ride in unfamiliar waters and the chart shows me obstructions, markers, marinas, rocks, channels, restricted zones, optimal routing to destination, etc. Lots of useful info beyond shallow vs. not-shallow.

My charts also show overlays of my prior travels, so I can see whether I am following the same path as last time. Once I have scouted out a safe route I can move at a higher speed the next time, with an eye on the chart screen when needed.

+1
    Its not some solid immovable object, if you hit it, it will fold/break away.
    I wish I would have gone 7" instead of the 5" I currently have. But I use mine as sonar too. Transducer glued in under the battery tray of the gp1800 works fantastic up to 35mph.

You mention only needing simple charts, mine would constantly show me being on land with the simple charts. So I paid for navionics, and it's 1000 times better.

Thread Information