Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

97 Polaris SLTX 1050 spark,fuel,compression = no fire

1997 polaris sltx 1050
    99+ 40mm carbs, hot seat head and 93 octane domes, new fuel line, new reeds, 99+ coil with snap in wires, updated stator and cdi

Ran great last year until near the end of the year, was out riding and felt like it dropped a cylinder.
    Tried new plugs and same issue.
    I have checked and have spark on all three cylinders and good compression.
    I thought maybe my aftermarket ebay stator went bad. Replace and same issue.
    Kinda at a loss on what to check next.
    My only thought was maybe timing being off, however I would think I would get backfires thru carb or exhuast.
    I feel heat in the MAG cylinder but seems like no fire on CEN and PTO.
    If I am running and pull the MAG plug wire it shuts off.

Pulled plugs and fuel is on CEN and PTO

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    You changed the ignition coil?

It is possible the CEN and PTO cylinders now have swapped (incorrect) firing order. Polaris has two versions of the three cylinder ignition coil, one has different firing order than the other. Swap the CEN and PTO spark plug wires, see if the problem goes away.

Be careful as getting the firing order wrong can cause backfire through the crankcase, which can damage the crankshaft PTO seals.

Try connecting JUST the PTO cylinder plug wire, ground the other two. See if it will crank and run (roughly) with just that one cylinder. If no fire at all, connect the CEN plug wire to PTO spark plug, try the ‘single cylinder at a time’ test again.

Using this method you can verify that each plug wire is actually connected to the cylinder it is supposed to be firing.
    Last edited by K447; 02-06-2020 at 11:55 PM.

the ignition coil change was already done and the ski was running just fine after it was done. (20 hours at least)

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk1824 View Post
    the ignition coil change was already done and the ski was running just fine after it was done. (20 hours at least)
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Try connecting JUST the PTO cylinder plug wire, ground the other two. See if it will crank and run (roughly) with just that one cylinder. If no fire at all, connect the CEN plug wire to PTO spark plug, try the ‘single cylinder at a time’ test again.

Using this method you can verify that each plug wire is actually connected to the cylinder it is supposed to be firing.
    You can still do this test.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I was going to suggest timing as well. I had a woodruff key shear and it caused a no start too. But you exchanged the magneto, so you would have seen that. How does the adjustable plastic timing cone in the flywheel look?

Other thing you can try to look into is the crank phase.

I went to adjust timing and actually broke the timing ring.

Ordered a new flywheel that should be here in the next day or two and I will report back.

Swapped wires no luck, also got new flywheel on and checked to make sure no chafed or broke wires on stator.

I noticed my battery seemed weak and was getting spark when letting off the start button.

Even after charging i would crank for 10-15 seconds and it should show like it was taking a big charge.

I am going to buy a new battery (due anyways) since I knowwe these are touchy with voltage

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk1824 View Post
    Swapped wires no luck,
    Deffinetly get a new battery.

The test suggested by K447 was to check IF it will run on only one plug wire-center and rear. It helps tell if timing and other things are working on just those 2 cylinders.

With it running, I would spray carb cleaner into one carb to see if there is a difference/improvement. If the cylinder has proper amount of fuel-adding carb cleaner will make it slow down/bogg.

If fuel mixture is way off, plugs will get wet but not fire correctly. The carbs have 2 fuel pumps, the rear pump feeds the rear carb- left over fuel helps feed the center carb, a problem with the rear pump will affect both cylinders but not the mag cyl.

yea I can pull the center and PTO and have no change in sound when removing the spark plug cables but I do have spark.

If i pull the MAG spark plug and leave the other two connected it will still die.

I will get a new battery this week,

got new battery and also I bought 3 carb rebuild kits. Should have it all done by this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information