Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    I wouldn't blame the wobble for a leak-my '17 RXT carbon seal wobbles and I don't have a water leak. After having about 5 rings replaced on mine I have seen several failure modes. My driveshaft was replaced for wear of the c-clip groove like that seen on yours. You can see that the c-clip is also wearing. One of the failure modes I've experienced is the clip wearing completely through and coming out. While you have the driveline apart, I would check the alignment of the thru hull fitting also.

Good job of presenting the situation with the video and pictures!
    Thats an odd situation, there should never be any wear on the c-clip or grove under normal use as there is no motion there if it is working correctly. The Hat, C-clip and shaft should all move as one unit, the only motion between hat and carbon ring.
    If the grove and c-clip and shaft are wearing, then the hat must be spinning on the shaft.
    Could it be the o-rings were wore out causing the hat to slip?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRD View Post
    Adapter goes in the thru hull fitting for alignment not the bellow. Probably not in the service manual cause they dont bother to use it. Cause of factory misalignments. The newer bigger hats were put in to cover up for the mess but put more pressure on the outer edges causing wobble and spitting out c-clips. Align the best you can. I cut a piece out of another clip to make almost a full circle. No wobbles for over a year now.
    This is the best information on this wobble issue I have seen. I have been trying to eliminate premature carbon ring wear on my '17 RXT since it was new. I've been trying to understand the physics of the c-clip wear. The wobble of the floating ring/carbon seal assembly gives me more to think about.

What other thoughts on this poorly designed shaft seal do you have ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    The Hat, C-clip and shaft should all move as one unit, the only motion between hat and carbon ring.
    This is exactly my thought and is the reason why the failure of the c-clip makes no sense to me. See the reply from GTRD above-his theory, as I interpret it, is that wobble of the hat/carbon ring induces a rocking action which puts a cyclic uneven load on the clip which causes wear.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Thats an odd situation, there should never be any wear on the c-clip or grove under normal use as there is no motion there if it is working correctly. The Hat, C-clip and shaft should all move as one unit, the only motion between hat and carbon ring.
    If the grove and c-clip and shaft are wearing, then the hat must be spinning on the shaft.
    Could it be the o-rings were wore out causing the hat to slip?
    as i understand, there isnt rotation of the floating ring on the drive shaft. the wear on the c-clip and grove come from corrosion. salt water splashing around in the hull can easily hide up under the floating ring /c-clip in an area difficult to wash with hose, and cause issues as corrosion sets in.
    im going to keep it packed with synthetic grease from now on, keep salt water out and prevent corrosion. will also make removing the drive shaft much easier as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Makesumwake View Post
    i have some cavitation and water getting into the hull
    i havnt confirmed yet that it is from a leaking bellows, but this wobble seems suspect.
    Curious is the cavitation only at a specific RPM range or consistent throughout?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroFish300 View Post
    Curious is the cavitation only at a specific RPM range or consistent throughout?
    i have occasional cavitation from flyboard use only, at high RPMs. some cavitation during flyboard use is fairly normal, but i'm trying to reduce any source of it. this small wobble probably wouldn't create noticeable cavitation if the ski was in regular jetski mode.

+1
    This is what the thru hull adapter looks like on my 2010 TX for a 3 point engine alignment check.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 9.18.11 PM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	457865   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	457866  

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    This is what the thru hull adapter looks like on my 2010 TX for a 3 point engine alignment check.

wow, thanks for those photos JT. makes it very easy to see how that works now.

btw i havnt been able to find the manual for my 2017 RXPX yet. i got the manuals for the older skis though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Since the design of the pump support system was changed from using the rideplate to using the transom this may be why the use of the adapter is no longer specified.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Makesumwake View Post
    wow, thanks for those photos JT. makes it very easy to see how that works now.

btw i havnt been able to find the manual for my 2017 RXPX yet. i got the manuals for the older skis though.
    I have the manual for a 16, same ski. PM me your email and I'll shoot you a copy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information