Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stage 1 Tune options

I'm interested in a stage 1 tune on my 2019 SVHO. I see three options available, Riva, Deans and CRT. What I don't see is any actual data for any of them. Riva at least claims 7mph gain for the stage 1 kit which is the tune and the ride plate. The description of the ride plate itself claims 5 mph gain but with the speed limiter removed. So is that a full tune or just the limiter removed? I'd like to know can you just remove the limiter and what does that gain in speed? What gains are obtained from a Stage 1 reflash and then finally any benefit to adding the ride plate? Reading the forums everybody seems to feel the difference with a tune but then again when you spend $1,000 on something everybody feels a difference no matter what the item is.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertoyz View Post
    I'm interested in a stage 1 tune on my 2019 SVHO. I see three options available, Riva, Deans and CRT. What I don't see is any actual data for any of them. Riva at least claims 7mph gain for the stage 1 kit which is the tune and the ride plate. The description of the ride plate itself claims 5 mph gain but with the speed limiter removed. So is that a full tune or just the limiter removed? I'd like to know can you just remove the limiter and what does that gain in speed? What gains are obtained from a Stage 1 reflash and then finally any benefit to adding the ride plate? Reading the forums everybody seems to feel the difference with a tune but then again when you spend $1,000 on something everybody feels a difference no matter what the item is.
    I assume you have an FX SVHO and not a GP SVHO?
    You will NOT gain 7 mph on the 2019-2020 FX SVHO if you don't also do the ride plate. The stock 2019+ FX stock ride plate actually slows the ski down and makes for very unstable handling above 72 mph and is downright dangerous. This is why the RIVA stage 1 kit comes with the tuning bundle package AND the ride plate. You have to do both together.

Yes, the tune/rideplate combo gives huge gains. When the speed limiters from these skis are removed they fly. My personal GP SVHO with just a MaptunerX tune and no other parts ran 78 mph. MaptunerX is the way to go. You flash your ECU within minutes without having to send your ECU off anywhere to be tuned. You can also upgrade tunes at any time, stage 2, stage 3, etc, and it costs you nothing extra. You can also use it for diagnostics.

The GreenHulk Store sells all the RIVA kits and parts at discounted prices!

RIVA FX SVHO Stage 1 Kit 2019-20

Our Stage 1 Kit delivers a huge performance gain with simple bolt-on modifications! Delivers great acceleration and a top speed increase of 7 MPH....
    RY-RPM-FXSVHO-1-19 $1,369.75
    Sale: $1,232.78
    10% discount

Thanks for the quick response and I appreciate you sharing your personal results. I've read the forums extensively and reviewed both Dean's and Riva's website but still find all of the claims to be ambiguous. For the stage one tune they claim a 7 mph increase for the tune with the ride plate. When you review the description of the stand alone ride plate it claims 5 mph but with the speed limiter removed. Well, according to Riva you can't get just a speed limiter removal on the new FX SVHO's so it must be with the stage 1 tune. On 4-tecperformance.com it has the same 7 mph gain claim however further down in the description it says 9mph. I understand that every machine will vary based on it's own unique conditions, I'm just trying to base my purchase decision on realistic expectations. If it's only a 3-5 mph increase I probably wouldn't buy it, 7-9 and I very likely would.

I'm surprised nobody seems to have posted actual data on what a tune by itself adds in acceleration and speed followed by how much more the ride plate then adds and so on. The only example of this I've seen I think was from 4-tec claiming a stock 0-50 or 0-60 (can't remember which) of 4.9 with an improvement to 3.8 with just the tune......didn't mention top speed improvement but at least it's something.

Now with the maptuner, you can swap between programs but you can't modify programs right? Lastly I'd love to hear more Deans, Riva, CRT opinions....I read nothing but good things about Deans however I've called several times, always get voice mail and have never gotten a call back which has me leaning towards Riva.

+1
    The Deans tunes are great as well, but you have to either 1)ship your ECU to them 2)buy a spare ECU to send to them, or 3)buy one of their ECU's with a tune. You also have to send it back to them if you want to change the tune, or put it back to stock. (if you sent your original ECU and did not buy an additional one) The Maptuner is quicker and easier for less money than buying a spare ECU and offers all their tunes for the purchase price, not a per tune fee.

+1
    They make a Speed limit removable box that does not tune the ski. The first "tune" from anyone deans or riva.. what ever. Will both remove the speed limiter, and wake the ski up.. the ride plate changes how the hull will sit on the water. A lot like trim on a boat. The "cut" plates basicly trim the boat up and alow it to sit sightly different on the water when on plane and at higher speeds.

if you used the speed limiter removal box (scom?) and a then added a ride plate you would see it pick up speed, and then pick up more with ride plate. The tune would again gain some... but if tuning might as well tune and remove limiter same time..

and the plate matters. Hell i have test same day 2 ride plates and 3 sets of shims on both plates.. 6 test rides. And saw 3 mph deltas from best to worst. Nothing but 4 bolts and washers. Let alone tunes... or limiter removals.

Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    They make a Speed limit removable box that does not tune the ski. The first "tune" from anyone deans or riva.. what ever. Will both remove the speed limiter, and wake the ski up.. the ride plate changes how the hull will sit on the water. A lot like trim on a boat. The "cut" plates basicly trim the boat up and alow it to sit sightly different on the water when on plane and at higher speeds.

if you used the speed limiter removal box (scom?) and a then added a ride plate you would see it pick up speed, and then pick up more with ride plate. The tune would again gain some... but if tuning might as well tune and remove limiter same time..

and the plate matters. Hell i have test same day 2 ride plates and 3 sets of shims on both plates.. 6 test rides. And saw 3 mph deltas from best to worst. Nothing but 4 bolts and washers. Let alone tunes... or limiter removals.
    They (Riva) said the speed limit removal (only) was for older models...for the 2019+ Models it's part of the tune. Which is where the contradiction comes from. The Stage 1 claims 7 mph with the tune and ride plate. Click on the ride plate (which is for the 2019+ model) and it says 5 mph gain with the speed limiter removed....which according to them isn't available so it really means with the tune? Or maybe they have results from the older model under the description of a part for the newer model? So which is it 5 mph or 7 mph? I then read post about somebody with a Stage 1 kit (tune + ride plate) only getting 71-72 mph (3-4 mph gain). Riva played around with the tune some and finally said oh well, it is what it is. Which is true so I get it...I'm just trying to figure out which has the best reputation for actual improvements. If the realistic gains are only 3-4 mph for $1200 then I'd probably just leave stock as I have no desire for anything beyond Stage 1 type mods.

I live in New England so the season is short. We rent a lake house every summer where the PWC gets used hard for two weeks and then goes back into hibernation until next year. I'm not looking to spend days...or even hours shimming, tuning etc. I want to prep it ahead of time with a few proven items and go use it. Goal is great pulling power for towing the kids around, a few high speed runs and some cruising around the lake. Really everything the SVHO already seems to do well. Would either of the stage 1 kits available be beneficial for this scenario?
    Last edited by Supertoyz; 02-02-2020 at 12:59 PM.

+1
    Sounds like a tune would be best for what you are looking for

+1
    If that's all you ride, leave it as is and save the headache. Modding is only worth it if you're out there with buddies racing around. The ski is MORE than enough in stock form. Seems a no brainer topic.

With that said, I have a Dean's tune on my 14 FX, 81mph. I'd probably get the riva tunes if I had to do it over again only because it is a hassle sending it back to Dean and begging to get it back in a timely manner. I thought I would tune it once and be done but nope, always want more. It's in a box waiting to be sent back for one last update then I'll be done. 3rd times a charm.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertoyz View Post

Now with the maptuner, you can swap between programs but you can't modify programs right?

Trust me when I tell you, tuning your ski, even with a simple MaptunerX stage 1 tune is going to give a mind blowing difference to your acceleration and top speed. It will be the BEST money you ever spend on your ski and your ski is NOT going any faster until you do it.

You can absolutely modify your own tunes with the optional Map Edit license. The MaptunerX tunes are the only tunes that give you the ability to adjust tunes yourself

MaptunerX Map Edit License

The Map Edit License allows you to customize existing RIVA maps within the MaptunerX desktop software. One license is required per vehicle....
    RY11UNI-MEF $300.00 $274.95
    8% discount

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Trust me when I tell you, tuning your ski, even with a simple MaptunerX stage 1 tune is going to give a mind blowing difference to your acceleration and top speed. It will be the BEST money you ever spend on your ski and your ski is NOT going any faster until you do it.

You can absolutely modify your own tunes with the optional Map Edit license. The MaptunerX tunes are the only tunes that give you the ability to adjust tunes yourself

MaptunerX Map Edit License

The Map Edit License allows you to customize existing RIVA maps within the MaptunerX desktop software. One license is required per vehicle....
    RY11UNI-MEF $300.00 $274.95
    8% discount

I cannot agree more ! This is the best way to get the best AFR, but the team at RIVA is amazing at helping you get the best tune. Simple email and your done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information