Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Do you have to have a windows based system for this tuner? all i have is a iPhone and iPad

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    Do you have to have a windows based system for this tuner?

all i have is a iPhone and iPad
    I use a Mac with Windows in bootcamp.

iOS devices are not connectable to MapTunerX box.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I use a Mac with Windows in bootcamp.

iOS devices are not connectable to MapTunerX box.
    Ok thanks! crap I was planning on getting one but im not going to buy a laptop too to do this

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    ... I'm not going to buy a laptop too to do this
    Borrow a laptop from someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Trust me when I tell you, tuning your ski, even with a simple MaptunerX stage 1 tune is going to give a mind blowing difference to your acceleration and top speed. It will be the BEST money you ever spend on your ski and your ski is NOT going any faster until you do it.
    OK...so I'm sold on a Stage 1 tune. Now it comes down to what package. I'd been wondering which tune was better between Dean's and Riva. I'd concluded that Dean's "Might" be slightly better tuned purely based on online discussions. Every discussion I found seemed to have positive reviews from Dean's customers. Most Riva discussions also seemed to have happy customers...seems like you can't really go wrong either way. Although I thought Dean's might have a slight edge I was ready to order the Riva Stage 1 kit (Tune and Ride Plate) simply to have the ability to tune it myself and not be at the mercy of USPS and Deans.

I was comparing their sites one last time and a Stage 1 Kit from Riva is $1299 which includes the tuner, license and ride plate...this supposedly nets 75 mph. Riva's Stage 1+ is $2400 and is claimed to do 80 mph with Tuner, License, Power filter, Impeller, Ride plate, cooling upgrade kit, engine breather upgrade kit and Sponsons. Then I saw Dean's FX SVHO Starter kit for $1399 includes most of the same items...Tune (no programmer obviously ) Repitched Solas impeller, Power filter kit, Riva water strainer and modified ride plate (they told me I could substitute the Riva plate for $0) All it's missing from the Riva kit is a $30 engine breather filter and the sponsons which I don't care about. The Deans kit really includes everything I'd ever be interested in doing to my FX.....except I wouldn't have the ability to program it myself....any tuning issues and the ECU is headed back to FL.

Dean's doesn't seem to post speed claims but it's pretty much the same as Riva's stage 1+ kit so it should do a similar 80 ish mph for $1,000 less. It seems to make sense but I'm still leaning towards the Riva stage 1 just so I can have control over the programming. For pulling kids around and general cruising with a few WOT blasts what would you guys do? I'm thinking the Riva Stage 1 would be fine but on the other hand the Dean's is a better value which "should" be about 5 mph faster for the same $. If I don't plan on any further mods would I ever really need to program it, making the Maptuner just a $400 desk ornament?

https://deansteam.com/collections/pe...20837621268569
    https://rivaracing.com/i-24080547-fx...el%3DFX%20SVHO
    https://rivaracing.com/i-24080549-fx...el%3DFX%20SVHO

+1
    unless you are a expert tuner and have all the gauges/data to make sure your tune is correct I would stay away from the self tune and just use one of there time tested tunes from Riva or Dean. A damaged engine from a improper tune can cost thousands to repair. Just my .02 cents worth on this topic. Tommy Jordan

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    unless you are a expert tuner and have all the gauges/data to make sure your tune is correct I would stay away from the self tune and just use one of there time tested tunes from Riva or Dean. A damaged engine from a improper tune can cost thousands to repair. Just my .02 cents worth on this topic. Tommy Jordan
    Don't intend to do any actual self tuning. I just meant it would be nice to have the ability to reflash from the tuning library and or adjust rev limiter etc. Could also flash back to stock or have Riva make custom changes if they were ever needed without having the down time and inconvenience of sending the ECU to Deans. However, realistically I could probably go with the Deans package and then forget about playing with tunes....as long as everything works properly there shouldn't be a need to mess with it.

+1
    Its settled. Send it off to Dean and enjoy it.

riva map tune...

+1
    I have the same issue. I have 2 skis. Both tuned by Dean. And then 2016 ECU is on its way to dean as we speak(shipped yesterday) to be updated for a fizzle.

i have no issues with deans tunes. But I would like to be able to change things on my own like load a 89 octane tune for a longer ride day where marina fuel is needed.

or like now when I make a change, and tunes needs to be updated....

but i have also never felt / driven a riva tune to feel the differnce... one day I will score a used ECU with riva tune and then can okay around and still have my main tune/deans ECU.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information