2019 RXT-230 depth finder recommendation

Hi Everyone!

I would like to add a depth finder to my 2019 RXT-230. Before doing so, I was wondering if I should go with the factory setup where the depth is displayed on the instrument cluster, or go with the side-mounted display setup used on the FishPro. I have heard the transducer to instrument cluster configuration has a tendency not to read a depth unless you are going slow. Whereas the FishPro setup consistently reads the depth at any speed. Is that true?

Can any of you with factory installed depth finders on 2018+ ST3 hull Sea-doo's provide me some feedback on how your depth finders perform at both low and high speeds? Based on your riding experience, what setup would you recommend I go with? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

The factory unit is very limited, it came standard on my 18 GTX-300 but I never use it. It's only rated for 150 ft or so and in order to use the digital display you have to forgo the other digital displays. I wouldn't recommend it.

I chose to install a Garmin Charplotter on the handle bars. It maintains the readings at least up to 70mph and over 400 feet depth. Not only do you get the depth, but a visual indicator in many different modes, a GPS chartplotter, and many other great features. It far exceeds the factory unit in every way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JzWzbQh.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	457734  

pro10is, Thank you for the feedback on your factory depth finder performance, and also for sharing your custom install. It looks great!

I ride on the Mississippi River, so my main reason for adding a depth finder would be to avoid the 'shallows' and keep my ski in deeper water. Maintaining a depth reading while in motion is an important function for me to be able to 'mentally map' the area and not purposely ride routes back through extremely shallow water.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback! Enjoy your GTX-300!

With a GPS Chartplotter, you can carefully map out a route once keeping a close eye on the depth. Once you do this, you'll always have an onboard visual guide that you can use anytime thereafter to cruise freely and confidently. There's no more need to try to mentally map out areas in your head and then hope to remember it all.

I have many stored routes that I've plotted over the course of over 150 miles. I use these routes anytime I cruise into an area that I may not remember fully. This, along with the real-time digital and graphical depth readouts, gives me complete confidence no matter where I go. You can even set alarms to sound whenever you may enter a shallow area. I set a depth alarm for 4 feet. This has saved me many times.

Creating routes is very easy to do on the Garmin Chartplotter above, routes are automatically stored and remembered unless you choose to delete them. They simply show up whenever you enter an area where you've been before. You really don't have to do anything, it's all automatic. You can also store hundreds of waypoints to guide you wherever you go.

Thumbs up

How did you install the on the handlebar? How did you install the transducer. I was going to go with the Fish Pro setup, but thinking this would be much easier/cheaper.

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    The factory unit is very limited, it came standard on my 18 GTX-300 but I never use it. It's only rated for 150 ft or so and in order to use the digital display you have to forgo the other digital displays. I wouldn't recommend it.

I chose to install a Garmin Charplotter on the handle bars. It maintains the readings at least up to 70mph and over 400 feet depth. Not only do you get the depth, but a visual indicator in many different modes, a GPS chartplotter, and many other great features. It far exceeds the factory unit in every way.

+1
    If your really into fishing go with the garmin but for what you say your doing the factory should be fine as I have experience with both on different skis
    Quote Originally Posted by 69RT3X9 View Post
    pro10is, Thank you for the feedback on your factory depth finder performance, and also for sharing your custom install. It looks great!

I ride on the Mississippi River, so my main reason for adding a depth finder would be to avoid the 'shallows' and keep my ski in deeper water. Maintaining a depth reading while in motion is an important function for me to be able to 'mentally map' the area and not purposely ride routes back through extremely shallow water.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback! Enjoy your GTX-300!

+1
    THey also have this. Single waterproof gauge, and can read at speeds up to 60+. and glue inside the hull.

https://www.amazon.com/HawkEye-DT1B-...1075557&sr=8-4

Thread Information