Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    While it is often wired to the battery negative, I prefer to have the aux battery negative connected directly to the engine block, not to the OEM battery negative post location.

This minimizes the number of aux battery connections that go anywhere near the main/engine start battery to just one wire. The + ACR cable.

My prefered battery type is the Deka ETX series AGM battery. In addition to being a reliable battery, the Deka ETX terminals are threaded for two separate bolts. So use one bolt for the main engine red cable connection, and a separate bolt for the ACR positive cable. That way even if the bolt for the ACR cable somehow wiggles loose, the engine start is unaffected.

Very very good information here, thank you. I’ll just get the ACR, fuses, 6awg wire and two new deka batteries. I appreciate all the help!

+1
    Great discussion so far.
    I won't comment on a right or wrong way - as I feel that can be greatly dependent on your intended goals and budget. As a dual-battery, garmin plotter, VHS, radio, etc... user myself... I run a dual setup, yet in a single-purpose way - aka alternate hot spare standby.
    What I mean is that I have an "Off/1/2/Both" marine selector switch on my dual batteries, for which I deliberately choose to run only one of my batteries per outing/day. Sure, while I initially thought of running one dedicated batt for starts and the other for accessories.... in-practice I have found that a single batt can handle a lot we throw at it. So, with that said, what "I" was truly looking for was simply redundancy - as I didn't want to get stuck out on the water because I was playing my radio too-long - lol.
    Therefore, I have this simple SOP (standard operating procedure - for you fellow military types) ... I use the current date (odd/even) to decide which batt is the designated main batt for the day, while the other will be the standby. I do this in hopes to give both their equal use over their lifetime. NEVER on both! Now, coming up close to 3 years, knock on wood, I have NOT had to ever ever ever ever switch over to the standby batt ever once so far in a single day - even during super-long times at anchor and fishing. I've been able to start my engine every time. Therefore, you could analogies my dual implementation as an "instant batt-swap" system - if ever the need arise.
    At home, lay-up status, I simply keep both on a tender.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information