Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Remote Oil Filter

Installed a Hayden Automotive 291 Remote Mount Oil Filter Kit. At times I can`t get a oil filter for my ski or I have to order one. Now I can use a larger filter with a 8 psi bypass valve, and there always in stock and at a good price too.

Also the fiter is much easier to get to and with a lot less mess in the engine compartment.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 01-27-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Installed a Hayden Automotive 291 Remote Mount Oil Filter Kit. At times I cant get a oil filter for my ski or I have to order one. Now I can use a larger filter with a 8 psi bypass valve, and there always in stock and at a good price too.

Also the fiter is much easier to get to and with[out] a lot less mess in the inside engine compartment.
    Photos of how/where you installed the remote oil filter kit inside the hull?

I do not know which brand oil filter you ‘cannot get’ easily. On my Yamaha GP1800 1.8 liter engines I have been using Motocraft FL400S oil filters for about 200 running hours. Available from Ford dealerships and widely available elsewhere. Inexpensive enough that the filter gets changed every 50 hours with the oil.

The FL400S is a little larger than the factory Denso filter but I have no trouble getting it in and out. The Motocraft FL910S (IIRC) is the same or very close in size to the OEM filter, also inexpensive and works just fine.

Another member did some comparisons of the filter internals and both the Motocraft filters were decently well made inside.

Given the low running hours between oil filter changes, bypass pressure of the valve inside the filter would not seem to be a worry?

+1
    When I go to Walmart I have a choice of a Mobil 1 oil filter or Purolator but most times they are out of stock m1-102. For Purolator filters the little computer to lookup filters is not working. They always have the M1-301 in stock, and that's what I use now.
    I don't know how to post pictures here of my install, I am lucky I know how to send an e-mail

+1
    I dont underand this..not hating, to each their own in life forsure but.. you could just simply click a button online and have 4 original oil filters show up to your door and be set for 2 years.

You must just like tinkering with things... same with your interCooler setup. Or you've been level 8 trolling the forum this whole time lol.

5. +1 by:

+1
    [QUOTE=Rook87;3057992]
    You must just like tinkering with things...

Mr. Rook87
    soon you will need to learn how to "Tinker with your clutch" for the amount of times your ski has been in the shop, you should have a zipper on your clutch by now.How many times has it been changed out....5 or 6 times by now..?? No hate here... just stating a fact.
    Mr. Rook87 I don`t understand this, you could just simply click a button online and have 4 original Yamaha clutches show up on your doorstep and be set for 2 years.

If you are not a "Tinker" after all those clutches ...you will learn to be a tinker soon. Word of advice, you will need to stock up on some clutches or Mr Rooky87 I would suggest you buy yourself a SAILBOAT, no clutches need to be replaced on them and it will be faster than your ski is now.
    Hope to see you on the water sailing by someday. I even have a good name for your new sailboat
    ...Gone With The Wind and for your ski Clutchontite2me
    LoL Lol Lol

Yes Mr. Rooky87, you are right, I like tinkering on my ski.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 01-27-2020 at 10:35 AM.

+1
    A remote oil filter allows you to have a larger filter media, holding another quart of oil for lubricating and cooling.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    A remote oil filter allows ... a larger filter media, holding another quart of oil ...
    Other than the 'more is always better, right?' thinking, I am not seeing an actual benefit to having a much larger externally mounted oil filter.

These engines tend to get frequent oil changes, often with a new filter. There is a factory oil cooler so oil temperatures are controlled.

Certainly the oil needs to do its job, but we are not seeing reports of oil related engine premature wear or early failures. Even with SVHO engines that are run well above the factory redline.

The stock oil filter is not terrible, while the direct mounting FL400S is larger and perhaps better overall. Yet still attaches directly to the engine, compact with no extra hoses or fittings.

An external mounting of oil filter includes hoses, fittings and so on. All of this extra hardware must include some chance of leaks or other problems. Even without leaks, there is more 'stuff' mounted inside the hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Other than the 'more is always better, right?' thinking, I am not seeing an actual benefit to having a much larger externally mounted oil filter.

These engines tend to get frequent oil changes, often with a new filter. There is a factory oil cooler so oil temperatures are controlled.

Certainly the oil needs to do its job, but we are not seeing reports of oil related engine premature wear or early failures. Even with SVHO engines that are run well above the factory redline.

The stock oil filter is not terrible, while the direct mounting FL400S is larger and perhaps better overall. Yet still attaches directly to the engine, compact with no extra hoses or fittings.

An external mounting of oil filter includes hoses, fittings and so on. All of this extra hardware must include some chance of leaks or other problems. Even without leaks, there is more 'stuff' mounted inside the hull.
    You and Mr.Rooky87 are saying is that what I did was not needed. You both are right, it was there on the shelf sitting there. It was from my old truck and i took it off before selling the truck. I just was sharing the idea here on the forum.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 01-27-2020 at 07:01 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

I started running the motorcraft fl400s after your recommendation. Fits great and I can pick it up at walmart for like $6

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    I started running the motorcraft fl400s after your recommendation. Fits great and I can pick it up at walmart for like $6
    Even though my thread was not the most helpful I am glad that this thread helped you out. Some good info came out of it at least. Thanks to k447 and Reaper9789

Motorcraft FL400 oil filter for $6.00
    I was paying $12.50 for my filters.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 01-28-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information