Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Waverunner FX HO (normally aspirated) gas mileage

I took some gas mileage data on my 2019 Waverunner FX. The chart is attached. I used GPS on the iPad to measure speed and the Waverunner's display for the fuel flow rate. I was surprised at how flat the curve was starting at a little over 20mph. Using 6 mpg is pretty good for a wide range of speeds. I had about 260lbs of load and between 3/4 and a full tank of gas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaverunnFX mpg.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	457653  

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Nice..
    I took my 16 Vx Ho 1.8L out for some long run fuel testing and got 5.13Mpg at 50-52 Locked on Cruise..
    Getting setup to do a 250-300 Mile day trip and collect pledges to raise money for a charity.

While I am here i should add some other comments. I used this forum to help decide between the FX and VX and thought I would pass along my opinion. I am happy with the FX, but the VX would probably have done the job.

- I would not buy a PWC without reverse. Even my 2005 SeaDoo GTI has reverse. Yamaha Ride is really nice. However, it takes some getting used to in that the bow points the direction you turn the handle bars whether you are going forwards or backwards. In reverse, this is opposite from a car, outboard boat, or even my old SeaDoo.
    - I find the throttle sensitive. Since, I mostly like cruising, the cruise assist is a must.
    - I find the indicated speed is often off compared to the GPS.
    - In addition to GPS based speed, I wish that there was a data field for mpg and the ability to show it at the same time as speed.
    - The ride is comfortable in chop. I rented a VX and it seemed O.K., but I don't have enough experience to really compare.
    - The FX HO is fast enough for me. I never even considered the supercharged version. I like the regular gas and reduced maintenance of the normally aspirated version.
    - I had a Roll-n-Go (www.roll-n-go.com/product/pwc-shore-ramp). I know a rental company that uses it with the VX, but it didn't seem adequate for the FX, so I bought VeVe 16 ramp (www.veveinc.com/shop/Personal-Watercraft-Ramps/). The rollers just barely fit between the two strakes, but it seems to work.
    - I bought the blue hull. I like the color, but the couple of minor scuffs would probably be better hidden by a black hull.

Name:	Waverunner.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	457656  
    Last edited by John Bell; 01-25-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Here is the tabular form:

Speed(mph) mpg gph
    5 5.6 0.9
    8 3.5 2.3
    10 3.6 2.8
    11 4.1 2.7
    13 4.5 2.9
    16 5.9 2.7
    16 5.2 3.1
    18 5.6 3.2
    20 5.9 3.4
    21 6.2 3.4
    21 6.2 3.4
    22 6.5 3.4
    22 6.1 3.6
    22 6.3 3.5
    23 6.2 3.7
    23 6.4 3.6
    23 6.5 3.6
    25 6.1 4.1
    26 6.5 4.0
    29 6.0 4.8
    30 6.1 4.9
    30 6.3 4.8
    34 6.0 5.7
    35 6.3 5.6
    38 5.8 6.5
    41 5.9 7.0
    42 5.8 7.3
    45 5.6 8.1
    46 5.4 8.5
    49 5.3 9.2
    Last edited by John Bell; 01-25-2020 at 07:03 PM. Reason: I added the gph column

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bell View Post
    ... Yamaha Ride is really nice...

... the bow points the direction you turn the handle bars whether you are going forwards or backwards. ...

- I find the indicated speed is often off compared to the GPS.
    In tight maneuvering quarters, such as turning around 180 degrees while floating in between two docks, the Yamaha RiDE system allows you to hold the handlebar hard over and then change between neutral, slight reverse, slight forward while maintaining a consistent handlebar position and constant direction of rotation/turning of the hull/bow.

The alternative (as occurs on SeaDoo and others) would be switching between reverse and forward and neutral thrust while requiring the operator to also quickly and simultaneously change the handlebar direction, coordinating between activating reverse and swinging the steering over at the same moment. And changing the steering again when applying slight forward, and so on. If the operator gets confused or out of sync between thrust direction and steering direction in tight quarters, that is when collisions can happen.

The Seadoo iBR system does work, but the cognitive load is higher, especially for new riders. When I have ridden modern Seadoo I must remind myself that the steering is going to need more attention as I select between forward and reverse, back and forth, as I jockey into position in a tight dock area.

With Yamaha RiDE I can tell someone completely new to RiDE (first time out) ‘Turn left, bow goes left. Always.’

Regarding speedometer accuracy, you can install a GPS accurate module made by CANDooPro. It is a plug in installation and the factory dash then displays accurate speed. I have them on both my Yamaha.

When you did the fuel economy data logging, where you using the Yamaha dash speed indicator or your GPS display speed?

Generally speaking, once the hull is nicely on plane, fuel consumption does not change much with speed until you get into the top 1/3 or so of the engine power range.

+1
    Looks like Yamaha has done a good job of maintaining a certain level of fuel consumption consistency.
    You say your N/A 2019 FX 1800cc motor is averaging 6mpg?

We had a set of FX H/O cruisers back in 2006 that we did a lot of long distance riding and we were averaging 6mpg with the 1050cc motors..

My assumption was that the fuel flow was pretty accurate and the speed displayed on the dash was not so accurate. I used GPS speed and took data riding different directions on a lake. I used the GPS on my cellular iPad for the speed. I used cruise assist and waited until the GPS speed stabilized to take a data point. I was actually hoping to find an app that used the GPS and allowed me to simply enter fuel flow. I tried writing an html version, but I never got that to work and just added a spot to enter the GPS speed: http://johnfbell.com/MPGcalc.html.

I have a 13ft Boston Whaler with a 40hp Mercury. While the Whaler only has a tach, there is a bluetooth plugin module by Mercury for the service port that gives all sorts of engine parameters such as fuel flow. The VesselView app that works with the module takes the GPS and combines the fuel flow to get instant mpg, range, etc. While riding the Waverunner, I would often mentally do this using the indicated speed and fuel flow. I always came up with about 6 mpg which matched the average fuel economy which displays on the Waverunner, but I thought it would be interesting to record some numbers and use the GPS speed.

The FX is a gas hog compared to my 13ft Whaler. However, I don't complain to my neighbor who has an outboard 2 stroke with 200 hp. What I found interesting about the FX fuel consumption was how flat the mpg curve was over a fairly wide range of speeds. I have not graphed the mileage on my Whaler, but the fuel economy seems much more dependent on the speed. I enjoy looking at the multitude of watercraft in the market and the various design trade-offs including propellers vs jet drives. I thought this guy had some interesting information on jet drives vs propellers:

I agree with all of your points and think that Ride is a well designed system. Overall, I like Ride, but I found the Ride system has a learning curve. Perhaps, my learning curve was a bit more since I am used to the old SeaDoo with manual reverse and an outboard boat. I am pretty much used to ride, I still have to think about it and say to myself to "steer the bow" in reverse. As I mentioned, the problem is that Ride is opposite of the way that a car drives in reverse. Unlike a car, you can be in reverse thrust when the boat is moving forward as well as when it is moving backwards. We are never moving forward in a car while the wheels are being driven in reverse. Additionally, Yamaha is advertising the braking function of Ride where it is important that the steering remains the same while the boat slows. I think that given the various trade-offs and design constraints that Yamaha made a good decision in the direction of steering.

Airplanes use indicated airspeed for maximum, minimum, takeoff, and landing speeds. There are all sorts of inaccuracies with indicated airspeed, but it is a good indication of how the airplane "feels" the air. However, we use GPS (or inertial) for navigation. Perhaps the Yamaha engineers use the water speed with a similar philosophy, especially for bodies of water with current. However, thanks for the tip, I may eventually get the Candoo module.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bell View Post
    ... Perhaps the Yamaha engineers use the water speed with a similar philosophy, especially for bodies of water with current.

However, thanks for the tip, I may eventually get the Candoo module.
    My understanding, RiDE only knows about the handlebar lever inputs (throttle and RiDE levers) and the engine RPM.

IIRC RiDE works properly even when the speedo sensor input is disconnected or the speed wheel is broken.

The speedometer signal wire connection goes directly into the dash display. The data bus link from dash to the engine ECU may carry speed data, but I do not know if the RiDE module (which is integrated into the motor unit in the back of the hull) receives or knows anything about dash indicated speed.

This whole thing got me interested in how the Waverunner compared to my Boston Whaler and more generally how propeller drive compares to jet drive. This is an apples to orange comparison, but perhaps some of you might be interested. As I mentioned before, I was surprised by the flat gas mileage curve of the Waverunner. I went out and decided I would do the same thing to my 40 hp Boston Whaler Sport 130. The Whaler uses much less fuel, but its top speed is 30 mph. The mpg curve was much different and decreased rapidly as the speed increased. The curves never crossed, but it appears that they would cross in the low 30's if I had a bigger engine on the Whaler.

Name:	WaveRunner vs Whaler mpg.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	457673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaveRunner vs Whaler ff.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	457674  
    Last edited by John Bell; 01-26-2020 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Add photo

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    There is no candoo module for the 2019 and later fx. It uses and rpm calculation to display speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information