Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

+1

I want to remove the older fuel from my GP1800R, VXR and VXS

It's not totally necessary but I'm just getting uncomfortable about the aging ethanol gas in these skis. None of them has been out on the water in 3-4 months and with my lake's water level 2' lower than normal, I really don't have any intention of getting any of them out on the water anytime soon.

It's not possible to get a siphon hose down the gas fills of any of these skis. Looking at the engines, there is a fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel rail. It looks like maybe a special tool is used to disconnect the fuel line, right?

If I could remove that fuel line, I was thinking that I could do one of two things:

1. connect my siphon hose to the end of the fuel line coming from the tank and siphon out the aging ethanol crapola

2. use the fuel pump in the tank to pump the ethanol fuel out into my 5 gal can. I'd have to have you guys tell me how I could activate the pump.

I'd really like to get most of the old gas out and get fresh fuel in later in the spring. Thanks!

+1
    Something I've done before on a tank that had a convoluted filler hose was to simply remove the filler hose from the tank and insert the siphon directly into the tank.

The siphon works better if you can raise the 'Ski above the 5 gallon can.

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Pro-XL...9866476&sr=8-1

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Your number 2 option is how I do it. I have a manual switch wired up that plugs into the wire harness at the fuse panel. I can directly turn the fuel pump on and off with this. I then bought a fitting that fits the factory fuel rail fitting and connected a hose that I can then put into a 5 gallon can. Works pretty well. I’d have to look at it close again to see which wires it powers up to run the fuel pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Something I've done before on a tank that had a convoluted filler hose was to simply remove the filler hose from the tank and insert the siphon directly into the tank.

The siphon works better if you can raise the 'Ski above the 5 gallon can.

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Siphon-Pro-XL...9866476&sr=8-1
    Thanks, Steve. I'll look into that. It seems like my tanks are under an area that may make this more difficult due to accessibility.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Your number 2 option is how I do it. I have a manual switch wired up that plugs into the wire harness at the fuse panel. I can directly turn the fuel pump on and off with this. I then bought a fitting that fits the factory fuel rail fitting and connected a hose that I can then put into a 5 gallon can. Works pretty well. I’d have to look at it close again to see which wires it powers up to run the fuel pump.
    Yes! If you could find the information of which wire powers up the fuel pump, that would be great. I also need to know how to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

How to safely/properly pump out old gasoline - Yamaha GP1800/SVHO fuel tank

Quote Originally Posted by dannyual777 View Post
    ... information of which wire powers up the fuel pump...

... how to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.
    This link should be useful.

Direct/Remote control switch for Yamaha electric fuel pump

Metal connection to Yamaha factory fuel hose at engine end.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2991303

Here is how the fuel hose connection at the engine goes together.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2873735

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rus-640930_w.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	457623  
    Last edited by K447; 01-29-2020 at 04:00 PM.

+1
    K447, You are ***THE MAN*** !!! Thank you for all of that incredible information. I'm going to buy the parts to build the wiring harness and make up the fuel hose with the metal connector. I'll be able to use it for all three of my 4-stroke Yamis.

+1
    Damn, K... I guess that's the right way to do it.

I just remove the connector from the pump and use a pair of wires with alligator clips at each end.

Also, I remove the fuel line from the top of the pump. It pops right off if you spread the red clip. A long piece of fuel line to reach the fuel can and I'm off to the races.

Crude, but effective.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post

I just remove the connector from the pump and use a pair of wires with alligator clips at each end.

... remove the fuel line from the top of the pump. ...
    I prefer to minimize the risk of electrical sparks near gasoline.

Alligator clips and a temporary fuel hose connection right at the top of the fuel pump = close proximity of possible fuel/fumes and possible spark source.

At a minimum I would suggest sourcing a proper electrical connector to plug into the fuel tank. Then at least there should not be any spark potential inside the hull near the fuel tank. With fairly long wires to somewhere outside the hull, fused near the 12 volt power source.

+1
    That's why I acknowledged that you did it the right way.

But I do make the final electrical connections to a battery that is outside of the hull, on the ground, to avoid making sparks near the tank.

I did actually come up with the right connector and plan to set up something better. The connector inside the fuel pump assembly fits on the outside too. I'm going to look into setting up something like you did.

I don't do it too often. I usually just run my skis empty at the end of the summer. I've only used my crude method on skis that I was parting out. Still risky, but at least I won't ruin one of my good skis... maybe just singe an eyebrow or two!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information