Something is draining the battery

Hello all,

After a day or so, my 2010 FXHO wont start up.

1. I charged the battery and reinstalled it. Started fine for the first few hours, then wouldnt start again.

2. Took battery into a battery store, they tested it and said it was fine.

Therefore something must be draining the battery whilst it is installed. Any ideas of what maybe causing this?

FYI - its my first ski so I am a newbie with these.

Cheers

+1
    Sounds like a bad battery, did you check for a parasitic draw if you think something is draining your battery ?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by waijo355 View Post

After a day or so, my 2010 FXHO won't start up.

1. I charged the battery and reinstalled it. Started fine for the first few hours, then wouldn't start again.

Charge the battery, then disconnect the charger.
    Let it sit overnight.

Connect a digital multimeter to the battery terminals.
    Note the resting battery voltage.

Start engine. Watch multi-meter voltage while the engine runs for about 10 seconds or so. Shut off engine.
    (No need of water cooling for a quick test, you can safely start the engine without water, cold and dry)

A fully charged and healthy battery (charged but then left resting overnight) should measure about 12.5 to 12.8 volts. AGM battery should be 12.8+

When the engine starts, within a few seconds the charging system should increase the battery voltage to about 14.0 volts, plus or minus maybe 0.5 volts. It certainly should be well above 13.0 volts, even at idle.

Report back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Let it sit overnight.

Start engine. Watch multi-meter voltage while the engine runs for about 10 seconds or so. Shut off engine.
    (No need of water cooling for a quick test, you can safely start the engine without water, cold and dry)

A fully charged and healthy battery (charged but then left resting overnight) should measure about 12.5 to 12.8 volts. AGM battery should be 12.8+

When the engine starts, within a few seconds the charging system should increase the battery voltage to about 14.0 volts, plus or minus maybe 0.5 volts. It certainly should be well above 13.0 volts, even at idle.

Report back.
    A+ Help Post. Kudos Sir

I know you can't use AGM battery on outboard motor that has charge coil under flywheel it will toast ecu,ecm brain box. AGM battery is only used with a belt driven alternator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey N.C. View Post
    I know you can't use AGM battery on outboard motor that has charge coil under flywheel it will toast ecu,ecm brain box. AGM battery is only used with a belt driven alternator.
    never heard of that. WHY will a agm battery damage that stuff? To high of voltage or that battery requires a higher voltage to keep it charged . ??????????????

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey N.C. View Post
    ... AGM battery is only used with a belt driven alternator.
    I cannot speak about outboard motors and AGM batteries, but I have been using high quality AGM batteries with PWC for years. 2-stroke and 4-stroke, carb and fuel injected.

My preferred battery is the East-Penn Deka ETX series AGM batteries.

I suspect your reference to Ďbelt drivení alternator is actually about the quality of the voltage regulation provided by the alternator.

AGM batteries are able to absorb a lot of charging current, more than traditional lead-acid batteries. All the watercraft I have used with AGM batteries have been able to maintain charge and work just fine.

I do take care to not allow the AGM batteries to be drained down and replace them before they fail from age.

I suppose a weak charging system could suffer from internal overload if asked to rapidly charge a not-already-well-charged AGM battery.

8. +1 by:

Thanks everyone, its a 4 day weekend here in NZ so I will go in on Tuesday to purchase a multimeter and then run these tests. Will keep you posted : )

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Let it sit overnight.

Report back.

Flooded batteries can boil off, gel or absorbent glass mat can't. 2 stroke outboards use rectifier-regulators . Johnson- evinrude charge 14.5 when running.

Flooded batteries regulates by boiling, and fluid can be add, agm and gel actually boil off to but fluid can't be added. What would happen with outboards is sealed battery would get so hot it would burn up rectifier thus 350-450 AC volts would be sent to cdi box (ecu). Leaving a big $$$ repair. Now that was like 2006 and earlier. Almost all outboards now have belt driven alternators an compressors now.

Thread Information