Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Yamahas no longer rule... how sad they treat a long time customer like this.

Before reading this, look at my screen name and how long I have been a member. I have had no less than 15 waverunners and jetskis in my life but have never had such a poor experience. This will be a long read, but I feel it is important for me to be clear about the chain of events that led to my current issue. In late Jan of 2019 I bought a brand new GP1800r from Ted at my local dealer Pete’s Cycle who I have bought multiple Waverunners and Motorcycles from over the years. After purchase the ski sat in our garage for the next few months while I ran a dedicated cooling line to the IC, installed a BOV to protect the supercharger clutch and an Electric Bilge pump since Yamaha no longer includes them on the GP line of skis. To be clear, no factory wiring was touched, probed or modified in ANY way. By late March it was in the water and being broken in following factory guidelines. Just before 10 hrs I went to start it one morning and it had an alarm and was showing code 158. That is the trim system error code. The trim worked when I pushed up or down, but it was in alert. I did basic troubleshooting and checked for anything wedged in the pump, and checked the fuse, but they were fine. For those who don’t know me, I was a 12v certified marine and Auto tech for almost 8 yrs in my 20’s, and am an A+ certified computer hardware technician for the last 20 years. Having this background, I went to basic troubleshooting 101 and checked the fuses but they were fine. I then pulled the battery terminal for a few seconds then hooked it back up. All clear, no more alert. About 2 weeks later I came down to the lift to put the ski in and it was in alert the minute I started it. I attempted the same battery pull to reset it but it did not work this time. I checked the fuses and harness plugs but al looked good. So, I put the ski on the trailer and took it to Petes Cycle where I bought if from. They immediately start checking my ski in and begin threatening that because of my additions, I would have to pay for any parts they order if the parts do not resolve the issue, and I would have to pay labor if they have to remove the bilge pump or cooling line to work on the ski. My response was “ I just want my ski fixed, Iif I caused the issue and you can show me the cause I will be happy to pay for it.” After five weeks go by with no update. I call to see how it is going and was informed that they replaced the entire trim motor assembly in the back, but it did not resolve the issue. (they later told me they took it out and put my old one back in) The techs would then call Yamaha, and were informed it may be the fuse box/relay for the trim motor, so they began pulling a relay from a ski on the floor since none were in stock. This involved taking apart the fuse box on the ski to replace the relay. But does not address any issue there may have been with the fuse box itself. Well it turns out the alert ceased after they replaced the relays so I picked up the ski to go riding. Unfortunately, it only lasted 2 rides (1 week) and began the same alert again. At this point, to me, the best course of action was to document when and how it was occurring via video, and then drop the ski off at the end of the season and show them what was going on. I have 7 individual videos over a 2-month period that demonstrate the issue occurred off and on repeatedly. In a moment of what I thought was perfect timing, it started doing it when I pulled the ski to winterize it and do the 50hr oil change. In the first video during flushing it, the trim is alerting, but still working. On the second video after the oil change, it was in alert and not working at all. I ended up doing all the winterization except fog the cylinders and pull the battery since they may need to start it while troubleshooting. Now I call them on October 15th and am asked to wait until November to bring it in, as they have a lot of skis they are winterizing. Since there was no rush, I was fine with it. When I drop it back off November 19th, I show Billy the videos of the alerts over the previous months. He seemed baffled and I leave it for them to resolve. After 6 weeks and no phone call I stop by on Dec 26th and am informed by Billy that they couldn’t find the issue so I can take it home. Huh? They have not found the issue but want me to take the ski back? Next, I call Yamaha Corporate and they contact the tech with their own techs and I awaited an update. Since I had not received an update after 2 more weeks (now Jan 11th), I stop by again and am told, “we did everything Yamaha said and can’t find the issue, we’ve been waiting for you to pick it up.” So, they are going to leave it untouched, knowing that there is an issue, and want me to wait until it does it again, so they can sit on it another 6 or 8 weeks during the middle of our short ski season to do nothing again? I call Yamaha again and they now say that the dealer thinks it’s the Bilge pump I installed. Same pump that comes in other Yamaha skis, its hooked directly to the battery with its own inline fuse holder, and they have not been able to get the ski to alert with it still hooked up, but that’s what they are blaming it on? If that was the issue. Why couldn’t they get it to go into alert the last 8 weeks? After spending $16k on a brand-new ski, and having it in the shop over 4 months before the ski is even a year old, how would anyone else feel being in my shoes right now? I have resorted to opening a BBB complaint against both Yamaha and Pete’s Cycle. Buyers beware, they do not care about you once they have your money.

+1
    Here are the last 2 videos I took when it was pulled to be winterized and have its 50 hr oil change.

+1
    Just throwing this out there... Did you change the battery... My 158code on my 17 comes on from a weak battery. It will test good but low voltage.

+1
    The battery was reading 12.5v resting whenever I was having the issue so I never considered it to be a factor. However after sitting out i nthe cold for 8 weeks the the dealer said they put a new one in it because the original was going bad. When they had the ski for the first 6 weeks it was having the issue, but they couldn't find the cause. Finally Yamaha techs suggested they replace the fuse box and relays. Doing that cleared it the first time for 2 whole days I just have very low confidence in their abilities at this point, but thank you for your suggestion. I might just put a nice AGM battery in it when I get it back just to be sure all possibilites are eliminated. Thank you for your suggestion.

+1
    Mine was battery from not being on a tender and leaving my guages on. It worth a shot. Sometimes the easiest solution is over looked. Keep me posted

6. +1 by:

+1
    That sucks for sure. Is there any way a varmint got in and chewed up a wire or two? This could even happen while in inventory at the dealership or where you store it. Just a thought.

+1
    I read your long story, and FWIW Yamaha likely still rules.
    I had a similar experience involving a motorcycle wheel that I knew to be improperly honed boss landings where the disc rotor attaches to the cast wheel. I made a DVD showing my diag procedures to prove it. Yet, in my case, the dealer/service guy didn't even want to look at my videos!! It's like getting a bad mark in your medical record - regardless of what DR you visit, you're labeled "that guy" now.

Sounds like a crappy reseller/service dept and not the brand - I know of a few whom sell Yamaha brand around me, yet I won't buy from them.

Now to the issue at hand ... you stated code "158" being thrown ... and I didn't read in your post that "they" tried swapped-out the hand control?? Reason I ask, it that the codes table states the following:

Dia Code | Item | Symptom | Checking Steps
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    158 | SCU | Changing the trim angle is impossible | Check the electric trim switch operation using the YDIS. Measure the electric trim switch resistance.

So right away, we know two things of interest... a) it involves the trim system, and b) the diag book is honing-in on the hand controls of this system.
    Actually, looking at all the RiDE codes possible, it seems obvious to me that there are only two trim-related codes possible, and these each correspond to the two main components in the trim system:
    Code 158 corresponds to the control component (master).
    Code 160 corresponds to the motor component (slave).
    Terms master & slave are my terms.
    So according to the code you get, it seems there could be an issue with the master part of the system.

So lets look at the above suggested "Checking Steps" for 158:
    As for YDIS, I'm going to say v2.0 - which only dealers would have access too. And while YDS v1.33 will work on the ski, is too old (useless) to detect the new ride trim systems.
    As far as resistance checks, again, the dealer should have this diagnostic procedure. Perhaps someone here has a copy of the YDIS manual so you can do it yourself - I would. Unfortunately I do not have one that covers ride models.

You say "they" did swapped-out the whole motor unit at one point?? Well, that seems to be for "other" codes your ski didn't throw.
    157 - Replace the RiDE motor.
    159 - Check for foreign object blocking rotating. Replace the RiDE motor.
    In fact, 161 & 162 also suggest replacing the motor unit, and those are not trim-related.

So here's your situation - you have a piss-poor dealership/service center - and that's liekly regardless of what make/model you'd buy from them. I'd call that a lost-cause, save your stress levels and just move-on. After all, they're not getting another dime from you anymore, right !!
    Find a "better" one if you can. If you can't ... try to fix it yourself (I would), especially given your creds and background. I think the Candoo diag tool sold here can do everything YDIS 2.0 can do, so might be worth the investment.
    Given the 158, there is likely a problem in that trim hand control unit (and/or its wiring runs). If you could only swap it with another ski, borrow one from another ski for a while, could rule it out. Oh, and the suggestions above on a fully charged battery are still in-play, as swings in voltage-drops could skew the voltage signal ranges that trim control generates - maybe enough so to be out of bounds intermittently.

Keep us posted.

+1
    Timebandit, I completely agree with your assesment. No wonder when they replaced the whole trim motor it didn't resolve the issue the first time. Riva sent me a similar blurb about the 158 code, it stated something about switch impeadance issue, so it all makes sense. I have the older 1.33 YDS that I used on my GP1300R's, but since that adds no benifit on this ski I'm just going to pick the ski up from the dealer and order a new switch for like $350. Next time it alerts I'm going to replace it and see if it dissapears. Between the code, and how it only alerts after being ridden/washed, and sitting over night, leads me to believe it's moisture intrusion at the handlebar switch. I'm just surprised Yamaha Corp is washing their hands of it. They said the dealer was blaming it on the bilge pump, and when I stated the facts that conflict that assesment, it was just the usual "I can understand your frustration" The manager was supposed to give me a call, never got one. I already filed complaints today with the BBB on both of them, and might as well take them to court since I have free access to a lawyer. All they had to do was do something... but no... they had to go this route and blow me off. Now it will cost them more money than the switch, plus their reputation as well as all the customers I can reach through my various social media outlets and 30+ years in the local business community. Thank you for your detailed information TimeBandit, it was more help than I have gotten from Yamaha or the dealer by a long shot.

10. +1 by:

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Adjust your bucket. The bucket might of not been adjusted right from factory. Had a ski doing the same thing, dealer kept it for months and could never figure out, took me 15 minutes at the ramp to fix it lol, i know it sounds crazy but trust me. Go to the ramp and adjust your bucket. If the arm is too tight or extended too much it will throw that code. And that’s why it may do it sometimes. Good luck

+1
    I will try that as well. Thank you!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information