Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1
    The seller/ dealer is the issue here not Yamaha product
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahasrule View Post
    Before reading this, look at my screen name and how long I have been a member. I have had no less than 15 waverunners and jetskis in my life but have never had such a poor experience. This will be a long read, but I feel it is important for me to be clear about the chain of events that led to my current issue. In late Jan of 2019 I bought a brand new GP1800r from Ted at my local dealer Pete’s Cycle who I have bought multiple Waverunners and Motorcycles from over the years. After purchase the ski sat in our garage for the next few months while I ran a dedicated cooling line to the IC, installed a BOV to protect the supercharger clutch and an Electric Bilge pump since Yamaha no longer includes them on the GP line of skis. To be clear, no factory wiring was touched, probed or modified in ANY way. By late March it was in the water and being broken in following factory guidelines. Just before 10 hrs I went to start it one morning and it had an alarm and was showing code 158. That is the trim system error code. The trim worked when I pushed up or down, but it was in alert. I did basic troubleshooting and checked for anything wedged in the pump, and checked the fuse, but they were fine. For those who don’t know me, I was a 12v certified marine and Auto tech for almost 8 yrs in my 20’s, and am an A+ certified computer hardware technician for the last 20 years. Having this background, I went to basic troubleshooting 101 and checked the fuses but they were fine. I then pulled the battery terminal for a few seconds then hooked it back up. All clear, no more alert. About 2 weeks later I came down to the lift to put the ski in and it was in alert the minute I started it. I attempted the same battery pull to reset it but it did not work this time. I checked the fuses and harness plugs but al looked good. So, I put the ski on the trailer and took it to Petes Cycle where I bought if from. They immediately start checking my ski in and begin threatening that because of my additions, I would have to pay for any parts they order if the parts do not resolve the issue, and I would have to pay labor if they have to remove the bilge pump or cooling line to work on the ski. My response was “ I just want my ski fixed, Iif I caused the issue and you can show me the cause I will be happy to pay for it.” After five weeks go by with no update. I call to see how it is going and was informed that they replaced the entire trim motor assembly in the back, but it did not resolve the issue. (they later told me they took it out and put my old one back in) The techs would then call Yamaha, and were informed it may be the fuse box/relay for the trim motor, so they began pulling a relay from a ski on the floor since none were in stock. This involved taking apart the fuse box on the ski to replace the relay. But does not address any issue there may have been with the fuse box itself. Well it turns out the alert ceased after they replaced the relays so I picked up the ski to go riding. Unfortunately, it only lasted 2 rides (1 week) and began the same alert again. At this point, to me, the best course of action was to document when and how it was occurring via video, and then drop the ski off at the end of the season and show them what was going on. I have 7 individual videos over a 2-month period that demonstrate the issue occurred off and on repeatedly. In a moment of what I thought was perfect timing, it started doing it when I pulled the ski to winterize it and do the 50hr oil change. In the first video during flushing it, the trim is alerting, but still working. On the second video after the oil change, it was in alert and not working at all. I ended up doing all the winterization except fog the cylinders and pull the battery since they may need to start it while troubleshooting. Now I call them on October 15th and am asked to wait until November to bring it in, as they have a lot of skis they are winterizing. Since there was no rush, I was fine with it. When I drop it back off November 19th, I show Billy the videos of the alerts over the previous months. He seemed baffled and I leave it for them to resolve. After 6 weeks and no phone call I stop by on Dec 26th and am informed by Billy that they couldn’t find the issue so I can take it home. Huh? They have not found the issue but want me to take the ski back? Next, I call Yamaha Corporate and they contact the tech with their own techs and I awaited an update. Since I had not received an update after 2 more weeks (now Jan 11th), I stop by again and am told, “we did everything Yamaha said and can’t find the issue, we’ve been waiting for you to pick it up.” So, they are going to leave it untouched, knowing that there is an issue, and want me to wait until it does it again, so they can sit on it another 6 or 8 weeks during the middle of our short ski season to do nothing again? I call Yamaha again and they now say that the dealer thinks it’s the Bilge pump I installed. Same pump that comes in other Yamaha skis, its hooked directly to the battery with its own inline fuse holder, and they have not been able to get the ski to alert with it still hooked up, but that’s what they are blaming it on? If that was the issue. Why couldn’t they get it to go into alert the last 8 weeks? After spending $16k on a brand-new ski, and having it in the shop over 4 months before the ski is even a year old, how would anyone else feel being in my shoes right now? I have resorted to opening a BBB complaint against both Yamaha and Pete’s Cycle. Buyers beware, they do not care about you once they have your money.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottpaige View Post
    The seller/ dealer is the issue here not Yamaha product
    I completely agree that issues do arise from time to time, and also agree that the Dealer is most certainly a core issue. However, Yamahas response to this had been less than satisfactory considering it is their product, Reputation and warranty. Now consider the following...Yamahas own admitted lack of confidence in the techs at Pete’s, add in the fact the system identifies the trim controls as the issue 158 error, the $1500 trim motor assembly they replaced the first time wasn't even a part related to the code but they did it, (then pulled it back out and put the old one in when the alert didn't clear) plus the symptoms coincide with the ski being washed and covered as a common scenario before the alerts appear (leaving the cover off for a few days drying time seems to make it clear) and add in the ski has been in the shop a total of 14 +weeks in less than its first full year.... Keeping all that in mind, All I asked was for Yamaha to replace the Switch Box Assy F3J-68310-01-00 that sells $396.78 RETAIL. (probably less than $200 their cost) If they just swapped that part, I would have been satisfied they at least attempted something. Now 8 weeks in, its back home with nothing done to it and now they want me to drive somewhere else and let another shop take a stab at it. I've decided the best thing I can do is spray the hell out of the controls with the hose, park it in the heated garage and put a large ziplock around the controls, and tape it closed to see if I can replicate a failure. My suspicion has been water intrusion, why not try and prove it.

TimeBandit is 100% correct....

As many of you know, Candoopro sells a Yamaha diagnostic system that is equivalent to YDIS 2. (Actually, the current version is 2.42...)

We had an independent shop in Hawaii working on a customer ski with the same issue, Code 158. YDIS is confusing as it states it is an SCU fault (control unit fault)

Long story short, it took a long time for us to sort it out with him, and it turns out that 158 is related to the handlebar control, not the RIDE unit in the ski. Since that issue came up, we have worked with 3 other skis with the same fault, and helped them sort it out.

Apparently moisture gets into the control and causes it to flake out. Replace the control assembly in the handlebar and you will solve this problem.

4. +1 by:

geez. $1500 for a trim motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    TimeBandit is 100% correct....

As many of you know, Candoopro sells a Yamaha diagnostic system that is equivalent to YDIS 2. (Actually, the current version is 2.42...)

We had an independent shop in Hawaii working on a customer ski with the same issue, Code 158. YDIS is confusing as it states it is an SCU fault (control unit fault)

Long story short, it took a long time for us to sort it out with him, and it turns out that 158 is related to the handlebar control, not the RIDE unit in the ski. Since that issue came up, we have worked with 3 other skis with the same fault, and helped them sort it out.

Apparently moisture gets into the control and causes it to flake out. Replace the control assembly in the handlebar and you will solve this problem.
    Thank you Candoo! I sent your response to Yamaha since up until now they have completely ignored me stating that was likely the cause. Considering I was able to diagnose and point them at water intruion in the controls as the likely cause right off the bat, and they have done everything EXCEPT look at the controls, I have lost all confidence in Yamahas and Pete's technicians. I know it takes time to diagnose issues, but blatently ignoring my hypothisis only because they think I am just the dumb consumer (and taking now 14+ weeks and multimple trips to the dealer with no resolution) is pure stupidity. Yamaha called me back yesterday and asked me to take picktures of the pump and nozzle area. I sent them pics, but its like they are on a quest to prove it was something else instead of replacing the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    geez. $1500 for a trim motor.
    I know right! its the whole control box/motor assembly. before they ordered it, Pete's threatend to make me pay for it if it didn't clear the error. I had to give approval or they wouldn't do it. They clearly had no idea what they were doing. It didn't clear the alert and they ended up pulling it back out instead of charging me.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    ... SCU fault (control unit fault) ...
    SCU = RiDE motor unit

I think the SCU acronyn comes from Yamaha land vehicles, and the watercraft guys just re-used the ECU to SCU link and terminology.

Some of the handlebar buttons use internal resistors to signal various functions.

Corrosion or moisture inside there could create weird/unexpected resistances and the ECU could decide to reject all signals from the affected switches, triggering the trouble code.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    SCU = RiDE motor unit

I think the SCU acronyn comes from Yamaha land vehicles, and the watercraft guys just re-used the ECU to SCU link and terminology.

Some of the handlebar buttons use internal resistors to signal various functions.

Corrosion or moisture inside there could create weird/unexpected resistances and the ECU could decide to reject all signals from the affected switches, triggering the trouble code.

I would think that in a saltwater environment these problems with the controls would be more prevalent then in freshwater. Saltwater has a tendency to change the resistance values to electrical connections.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    ... change the resistance values to electrical connections.
    Moisture inside electrical gear is never a good thing, salt or fresh.

In addition to the actual buttons, sometimes moisture gets inside the wire harness connectors for the handlebar controls. There are a bunch of connectors around/in the handlebars, including a connecto bundle above the fuel tank, right behind the front access panel.

And of course these handlebar control wires all flex and move with the steering. If somehow a wire is rubbing/fraying then it can cause trouble, especially if the wire insulation is worn through somewhere.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Moisture inside electrical gear is never a good thing, salt or fresh.

In addition to the actual buttons, sometimes moisture gets inside the wire harness connectors for the handlebar controls. There are a bunch of connectors around/in the handlebars, including a connecto bundle above the fuel tank, right behind the front access panel.

And of course these handlebar control wires all flex and move with the steering. If somehow a wire is rubbing/fraying then it can cause trouble, especially if the wire insulation is worn through somewhere.
    I checked all the wires front to back for critters and unplugged the connectors over the fuel tank looking for moisture but found no signs. I did not pull the control wires off yet to inspect where they go down the handlebar and into the hull. But I will do that when I pull it to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahasrule View Post
    I checked the voltage every time I had the issue and it was resting at 12.5 and would not drop below 12 under load using a battery load tester.

I looked and there are no chews or knicks in the harness

More of a story to that. When I dropped it off I told them I needed it back in 6 weeks. (my nephew was coming to town and I promised him he could take it out once he got his boaters safter certificate, which he had gotten) They said no problem, then sat on the ski for 5 weeks without even touching it. They then spent the last 4 days scrambling to resolve the issue. When replacing the entire motor assembly didn't work (which makes sense since that would be a 160 error) They honed in on the relays, but had no GP1800 fuse box in stock and could not get one in time to fix the ski, so they tore one apart from a EX on the sales floor to get the needed relays. I appreciated the effort, but now even Yamaha told me I should try another dealer.

So today I went and picked it up and mentioned Yamaha said I should take it somewhere else, he said yes, they told him that too and seemed hapy about it. Next I asked him why they tried replacing the Trim Motor Assembly when it is a 160 error and my ski was giving a 158 error which is the hand controls. (The one thing they haven't touched yet) All I got was, "our techs are gold certified" followed by a blank stare. Last question to him was "how can you blame the bilge pump when it has been hooked up the last 8 weeks you have had it and you can't get it to alert?" Now all he could muster was a shoulder shrug. He ended this wonderful interaction by trying to charge me to replace the battery which they did as part of troubleshooting. I had them take it back out since I can get an AGM battery for the $90 they wanted to charge. Luckliy there are other Yamaha dealers in the area I can go to, for now I am going to resolve it on my own and video the process. Then I can just take them to small claims court to recoup my parts cost after I fix it. Even if I can't recoup the cost I will enjoy having them go to court and defend their actions. In the mean time I will keep on them through Social Media, the BBB and all my maritime and business resources and ensure nobody else supports such a poor company.

Everyones support is very much appreciated. If the dealers cared half as much as people like you, this wouldn't have been an issue.
    Just this year I had a n AGM battery that was doing the same thing it was OK during load testing but it was screwing up the ski. I replaced it and everything is good now

12. +1 by:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information