Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is a tune necessary?

Hey guys,
    I've been acquiring some parts for my 2019 GTX 230 for this next season and was wondering if it'd be okay to run without a tune at first, until funds allow.
    The only performance related stuff I have going in are the Fizzle Supercooler and a custom 4" air intake.
    I figured the X/Ski module and catch can aren't important in regards to increased performance.

Would this be okay to run without a tune at first? Would it run lean with the increased air flow and cooler intake charge temps?
    I also plan on repitching the stock prop to keep it off the limiter.

+1
    You'll be fine running with those mods. Doubt you will notice any difference, maybe a little more charger sound depending how you do your air setup. Unless Seadoo did something different with the '19 up 230's don't count on a big difference with a tune either if you're looking at Riva. Claim is 5 mph...reality is 1-2.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack608 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I've been acquiring some parts for my 2019 GTX 230 for this next season and was wondering if it'd be okay to run without a tune at first, until funds allow.
    The only performance related stuff I have going in are the Fizzle Supercooler and a custom 4" air intake.
    I figured the X/Ski module and catch can aren't important in regards to increased performance.

Would this be okay to run without a tune at first? Would it run lean with the increased air flow and cooler intake charge temps?
    I also plan on repitching the stock prop to keep it off the limiter.
    Your fine without a tune. However to get the most out of the cold air and intercooler. you need the imuk kit. Also as mentioned. Dont expect big gains on the gtr hull. My brother had maptuned, solas 14/19 cold air, imuk,thru hull, powercooler,,,, it pulled noticeably harder. But topped out at 70-71 mph. After goin to an e137 wheel ,rrfpr,jims open loop speed cut,vt 1100cc injectors with riva rail ,riva water box, prop re-pitch, custom grind cam, retainers,custom vtech 8800 tune. All those mods and It will still only see 80mph. It has a violent midrange. But just dont expect to see alot of top end on that hull. Very playful ski though!!! .

Quote Originally Posted by Yamafzs View Post
    Your fine without a tune. However to get the most out of the cold air and intercooler. you need the imuk kit. Also as mentioned. Dont expect big gains on the gtr hull. My brother had maptuned, solas 14/19 cold air, imuk,thru hull, powercooler,,,, it pulled noticeably harder. But topped out at 70-71 mph. After goin to an e137 wheel ,rrfpr,jims open loop speed cut,vt 1100cc injectors with riva rail ,riva water box, prop re-pitch, custom grind cam, retainers,custom vtech 8800 tune. All those mods and It will still only see 80mph. It has a violent midrange. But just dont expect to see alot of top end on that hull. Very playful ski though!!! .
    The GTX is the same hull as the RXT, the ST3 hull. I would be going with either JP Racing when he comes out with a 230 tune or go with VTech

Quote Originally Posted by GTRD View Post
    You'll be fine running with those mods. Doubt you will notice any difference, maybe a little more charger sound depending how you do your air setup. Unless Seadoo did something different with the '19 up 230's don't count on a big difference with a tune either if you're looking at Riva. Claim is 5 mph...reality is 1-2.
    I definitely wonít be going with Riva. They make the ski slower....iíd be going with a quality tune for sure

+1
    The GTX is the same hull as the RXT, the ST3 hull. I would be going with either JP Racing when he comes out with a 230 tune or go with VTech
    Lol. Thought we were talking about a gtr 230. My mistake. Disregard everything i said!

+1
    I definitely won’t be going with Riva. They make the ski slower....i’d be going with a quality tune for sure
    Care to elaborate on that? Every ski I've installed a RIVA maptunerX tune on gained big speed, as well as anyone else that's installed these tunes. If your ski went slower then the ski has some sort of issue.

Also, you can install all the performance parts in the world on that ski, but it's not going to go any faster until you reflash the ECU to remove the speed limiter. Yes, the 230's have a speed limiter!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Care to elaborate on that? Every ski I've installed a RIVA maptunerX tune on gained big speed, as well as anyone else that's installed these tunes. If your ski went slower then the ski has some sort of issue.

Also, you can install all the performance parts in the world on that ski, but it's not going to go any faster until you reflash the ECU to remove the speed limiter. Yes, the 230's have a speed limiter!
    Oh the tunes themselves are good but typically Iíve seen the riva kits not live up to their posted speeds even in the best of conditions.
    Iíll most likely use a maptuner and a vtech tune on my ski when I tune it.

I did think there was a limiter on these skis since I can touch 69mph and then itíll back it down to 68. Good to know for sure

+1
    Not sure I understand what your saying. Are you under the impression that Vtech tunes are faster than Riva tunes? Are pre-programmed tunes company specific? Doesn’t it all depend on what mods you have installed and which tune you select on the Maptuner x?

+1
    Oh the tunes themselves are good but typically I’ve seen the riva kits not live up to their posted speeds even in the best of conditions.
    I’ll most likely use a maptuner and a vtech tune on my ski when I tune it.

I did think there was a limiter on these skis since I can touch 69mph and then it’ll back it down to 68. Good to know for sure
    On the Riva kits not meeting expectations. There are MANY variables. Elevation and temperature plays huge a huge role in a skis performance. A ski at 1000' elevation isn't going to make the power a ski at sea level.... yet the Riva kit gets the blame.
    A supercharger clutch in one guys ski may be slipping yet the Riva kit gets the blame.
    Some guys run the wrong oil in their ski causing the supercharger clutch to slip, yet again, Riva kit gets the blame.

People need to understand just because RIVA gets 80 mph on their test lake, in prime conditions, at sea level and with 1/3 tank of fuel doesn't mean they will get the same results in their riding area. They may be down 200 RPM due to elevation, over filled oil, worn out wear ring, wrong oil, slipping supercharger clutch, etc...... it's not the RIVA kit not performing as advertised, but somehow the "RIVA kit" always gets the blame

And FYI, V-Tech and RIVA tunes are the same. Jonatan at V-Tech and Jesus at RIVA work in collaboration at developing the tunes for the different packages/levels of modifications.

You hitting 69 and it backing back down to 68 is the limiter coming into play.

Hope that helps!
    Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information