Another Loss of power thread GP1800

I haven't run my GP1800 is more than 3 months, today I was bored and it was 60 degrees so I decided to go out.

I started the ski up on trailer and let to idle for about 5 minutes before doing anything. I gave it a few blops on the throttle and all seemed well. I next reversed off the trailer and idled out, I then gave it full throttle and it pulled out, planed out but wouldn't rev past 6000 RPM. I rode for about 5 minutes and other than low revs and loss of power everything seemed normal. I came back close to shore, turned it off and repeated with same results. I came back to shore, pulled out remote and put ski into learner mode. We back out and ski worked as it should in learner mode, only revving to about 5500 and low power. I shut everything down and put into normal operation, started it and went full throttle and everything was normal.

Any ideas on what could have been going on ? It seems like the ski was in learner mode but the light on dash never indicated it ?

The Ski is a 2018 GP1800 Stage 1.5 with all supporting mods.

After this wild anomaly, I rode for about 25 miles on a lake with glass water and hit a nice top speed of 84mph on the 8500rpm limiter. Not wanting to be on the limiter I was able to race around the lake not at full throttle off the rev limiter at about 82mph.

Thanks for the replies
    John

Check your plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke1.8 View Post
    Check your plugs.
    Thanks, plugs were good. I spoke to the shop who I’ve bought a lot of parts from and has helped me in past. He says he has seen these things go wiggy when they are put into cold water. He has seen them go into a somewhat limp mode, since ski ran fine after first stumble, I’m gonna chalk it up to WTF and move on.

Had this happen to me before. Seemed like a leaking BOV or a slipping clutch issue. Do you have the copy HKS BOV?

Quote Originally Posted by bryan.daniel1990@gmail.co View Post
    Had this happen to me before. Seemed like a leaking BOV or a slipping clutch issue. Do you have the copy HKS BOV?
    No blow off valve and slipping clutch was my first fear. I have 120hours on the Ski, I ride very conservatively in choppy water and don’t let pump unload and load when running all out.

weird thing is, why when I put ski into learner mode and back into normal mode did ski all of a sudden run correct? It seemed like it was in a limp mode but no lights or warnings were present. Getting ski detailed tomorrow and then back on lake Friday. We will see, air temps are in the 60s but water temps are still in 50s. Man I wish this thing ran like it did year round.

+1
    Why do these plugs foul out
    with so little hours on them? Some of these people are only getting 30 40 hours and the plugs are no longer good. Why???

When I first got into riding these skis I did not change my plugs out at the beginning of the season and now I do and it seems to avoided many problems, I am not chasing problems like I did in the past.

You would think these plugs would last longer...

Take Care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 01-22-2020 at 04:58 PM.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboX View Post
    Thanks, plugs were good. .
    How can you tell?
    I have replaced a few customers plugs that 1 or 2 were bad with 2 hours on them since last changed by me or dealer , 5-7 months back..
    Could not tell by looking which plug was bad or good
    You can't tell a Bad 4 stroke plug Not like the 2 stroke days...

Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    How can you tell?
    I have replaced a few customers plugs that 1 or 2 were bad with 2 hours on them since last changed by me or dealer , 5-7 months back..
    Could not tell by looking which plug was bad or good
    You can't tell a Bad 4 stroke plug Not like the 2 stroke days...
    Thanks, I will keep it in mind. The ski idled perfect, ran smooth all the way to 6000 rpm, was just lacking power as if it wasn’t making boost. Been around many high performance engines in my time, not to be a know it all but it wasn’t a plug. No misfire, not spark blow out or break up. This was like ski was in learner mode but a few hundred more rpm up top. I only assume plugs were fine because they were changed end of last season and I rode the shit outta the ski after the problem went away. Plugs either work or don’t work and not intermittent issues.

Thread Information