Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Virbration All The Time.....

I have a single place trailer with an Ultra 300 on it. I changed the tires with the rims last year. I had to move the ski to another garage recently and the vibration was bad at all speeds.
    I have searched the forum and mostly it says the tires have flat spots or unbalanced.
    When I put the ski away I had no vibration.
    Could the tires get flat spots that fast?
    How do you balance the trailer rims?
    I changed the tires last summer because of age.

Should I just buy new tires and rims again??
    Any help would be appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How long was it stored before you towed it?

How far distance and at what speed did you tow?

What air temperature was it during the tow?

What maximum air pressure is specified on the tire sidewall? What air pressure was in the tires?

Trailer tires certainly can take a ‘set’ and develop a temporary flat spot when sitting. When next towed the side wall + tread flexing and the general warming that occurs at highway speeds will allow the flat spot to work itself out and the tire vibration will fade away.

Cold tire (and air) temperatures will increase the amount of time before the flat spot smooths out. Slow towing will limit the tire heating and extend the duration before the problem goes away.

Storing the trailer with the tires fully inflated to the maximum sidewall air pressure helps reduce the amount of deformation while parked. A little more than the sidewall max is fine, as tires slowly lose air pressure just sitting there.

+1
    I presume you checked that all the wheel nuts are tight and there is no mechanical problem with the axle, the wheel bearings, etc.
    Last edited by K447; 01-20-2020 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Wheel nuts

+1
    I did check the tire pressure before I moved it. I went about 10 miles with speeds around 45mph. It was very cold out and the garage is not heated. The ski has been sitting since late October. I don't remember ever using the trailer in the winter.
    Yes the the axle, bearings and lugs are fine.
    I never thought about the tires heating up and expanding in the winter.

I will wait and see in the spring.
    Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rrt898 View Post
    I did check the tire pressure before I moved it. ...

I never thought about the tires heating up and expanding in the winter. ...
    Tires are happiest when they are used frequently. Left parked for long time periods does the tire no favors.

Note: If a trailer tire is getting close to seven years old then it has reached end of life in terms of safety, even if it ‘looks’ like new and has plenty of tread.

Tip: Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum pressure shown on the tire sidewall. This minimizes flat spotting and generally is the optimum pressure for trailer tires. *

* The only time you should use some other/lower air pressure is if the trailer manufacturer specifically specifies a different tire pressure.

Or the trailer is using a tire size different from what the manufacturer intended.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I imagine placing the axle on jack stands for long storage would prevent this problem?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    I imagine placing the axle on jack stands for long storage would prevent this problem?
    Lift the trailer weight off the tires while in storage, so there is a small air gap underneath. Similar to long term RV storage.

For most people this is too much trouble or not easily done. Which is why the primary recommendation is to air up the trailer tires to a little above sidewall pressures. Say 55PSI for a 50PSI tire.

And store with the tires on flat dry surface. Tire contact with wet ground that will freeze/thaw cycle is not beneficial to the tire rubber.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I presume you checked that all the tire nuts are tight
    I think he means the wheel nuts.

+1
    something else to check is to make sure you have enough tongue weight for you situation. on one vehicle i tow with i have to have my hitch flipped over or the vibration is crazy. when another vehicle i can have hitch flipped down normally and its not as bad. I have a double trailer though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic388 View Post
    ... enough tongue weight for your situation.

on one vehicle i tow with i have to have my hitch flipped over or the vibration is crazy.
    ... another vehicle i can have hitch flipped down normally and its not as bad....
    How much change in tongue weight is there just by inverting the drop down ball mount?

Normally tongue weight is changed by shifting the watercraft forward or rearward on the trailer, and moving the winch lists to match.

If your trailer is vibrating, with ball mount up or down, just ‘not as bad’ one way, perhaps something else is not right.

Changing the ball height changes the frame angle relative to the ground. Normally you want to be towing with the trailer frame level to the ground. Tongue up or tongue down is not a good thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information