Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    i have done this multiple times, i always resealed mine with 5200, seals god and still easier to open back up than factory glue, i did not gutted any of mine.
    So doing this did ur ski handle different? I was wondering if the 5200 has more give to it

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    So doing this did ur ski handle different? I was wondering if the 5200 has more give to it
    I did not gut mine, the ski handled the same as oem. Just better to work on it and i could split it easier. I had a front mount turbo set up

Quote Originally Posted by onefastgp View Post
    I agree with FXslowcruiser. I Gutted mine after I separated it. It was a nightmare and its very flexible. So much so that I may end up with a layer of carbon in the bottom. Ksalles tried to talk me out of it, but I'm hardheaded . He was right. Its super light now and will be used recreationally in the back water river and such where it never gets too rough. I do not condone nor recommend gutting a recreational ski.

Where was all the foam before you gutted it? Does anyone know if the yamaha float level when full of water??

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    ... Does anyone know if the yamaha float level when full of water??
    I would expect all modern large watercraft when hull flooded to float stern down, bow high. The weight of the engine is towards the rear while the fuel tank is in the front.

As the hull floods the internal foam cannot fully support the weight of the engine, battery and other large metal parts.

The exhaust system might temporarily trap some air but it is not sealed and I would expect it to also flood.

The sealed fuel tank is bouyant even when filled with fuel, and has the most flotation with minimal fuel.

The seat does has foam, but by the time it is fully in the water (which is necessary for it to provide any bouyancy) the engine compartment below is deeply flooded. And the seat foam may absorb water, negating the buoyancy.

Is it important to you that your PWC somehow be able to float 'level' despite a catastrophic hull flood event?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I would expect all modern large watercraft when hull flooded to float stern down, bow high. The weight of the engine is towards the rear while the fuel tank is in the front.

As the hull floods the internal foam cannot fully support the weight of the engine, battery and other large metal parts.

The exhaust system might temporarily trap some air but it is not sealed and I would expect it to also flood.

The sealed fuel tank is bouyant even when filled with fuel, and has the most flotation with minimal fuel.

The seat does has foam, but by the time it is fully in the water (which is necessary for it to provide any bouyancy) the engine compartment below is deeply flooded. And the seat foam may absorb water, negating the buoyancy.

Is it important to you that your PWC somehow be able to float 'level' despite a catastrophic hull flood event?
    Ideally yes, it's not very helpful to have the nose bobbing like all the seadoo photos I have seen...

I can't find the official details but IIRC boats under 20 feet, with over 2hp are required to float level. Seadoo proves that PWC are not held to the same standard. I personally would not buy a boat that didn't have level flotation and would prefer if my PWC was too. Boston whalers are a prime example of boats that accomplish this.

Where was all the foam before you gutted it? Does anyone know if the yamaha float level when full of water??
    In between the liner and the hull. Yes it will float.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... PWC are not held to the same standard. ...
    PWC do have different regulatory requirements. There are several specific exemptions from Coast Guard requirements, listed right on a hull sticker.

PWC also have several restrictions that differ from 'boats'. PWC regulations are specific to the type. You sit 'on' on personal watercraft, while you sit 'in' a boat.

It is entirely possible in normal operation to roll a PWC over and fall off. The enclosed hull allows the machne to be righted without flooding, and the operator can climb back on and continue to ride.

The enclosed PWC hull also prevents swamping even with large breaking waves over the sides. Open boats can be swamped with a large wave.

Riding a PWC always includes the possibility of ending up in the water. Getting wet and getting back on is sometimes part of the deal.

Even if a PWC was able to float level (but very low in the water) when fully flooded, it would not be stable if people were sitting on the seat. You would have to get off or it would roll you off. So you are in the water anyways.

PFD plus proper clothing choices allow you to stay in the water until help arrives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information