Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got my ultra 310 back after piston failure

Picked my ultra up after 2 pistons went out. Kinda surprised at how little information about the rebuild I was offered from the dealership. They replaced all the pistons, rods, rings etc. I did get a parts list and they used part 13001-0787 for the pistons. Iíve read from a few guys they got a couple hundred hours after a dealership rebuild. Im just a little leery and having little to no time to ride makes me just want to sell it and cut my losses.

2. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by jrm1027 View Post
    Picked my ultra up after 2 pistons went out. Kinda surprised at how little information about the rebuild I was offered from the dealership. They replaced all the pistons, rods, rings etc. I did get a parts list and they used part 13001-0787 for the pistons. I’ve read from a few guys they got a couple hundred hours after a dealership rebuild. Im just a little leery and having little to no time to ride makes me just want to sell it and cut my losses.
    Yep, those are the same Pistons they used for my 2015 Ultra 310 rebuild. You've got a brand new "rock solid" engine. Why not just go riding and not worry about it! JB

That’s reassuring as I’m assuming you’ve not had any issues. From what I understand those are the same pistons that came in the ski from the factory. What keeps them from failing again?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93183D44-248F-4785-9F4A-D887DD404CA4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	457314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F9E2C09-244C-480F-8150-3B7332954715.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	457315  

Quote Originally Posted by jrm1027 View Post
    That’s reassuring as I’m assuming you’ve not had any issues. From what I understand those are the same pistons that came in the ski from the factory. What keeps them from failing again?
    My 2015 Ultra 310 toasted a Piston, and it was rebuilt by KAW Warranty. The Ski runs great. JB

Id ride the hell out of it and if something is wrong with it (speed, down on power etc...) id trade it in on a new. they canít say anything about whatís wrong with it because they fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    Id ride the hell out of it and if something is wrong with it (speed, down on power etc...) id trade it in on a new. they can’t say anything about what’s wrong with it because they fixed it
    Thanks for the input! Going to break it back in and get out there and have some fun. Excited to see what it feels like running correctly.

9. +1 by:

Can I ask what year and how many hours you had on yours when failure happened. I have a 19 with about 45 hours that Ive ridden aggressively and have this failure in the back of my head ever since I heard about it

It’s a 2015 with 27 whopping hours. I should’ve honestly caught it before the pistons failed because it was using oil from day 1. I chalked it up to a mistake at the dealership. Near the end it started to lose some power. From what I’ve read they usually fail early, around 30 hours. A compression check is fast and easy. Put premium fuel in it and ride it. Nothing you can do in my opinion to prevent it. I’ve had lots of fast toys and never had an engine failure until now. If it breaks again I’ll probably use some aftermarket internals

+1
    Did they fix this piston issue yet on current year models? I was contemplating selling my 2012 and getting something new. I wish Kawi came out with something completely new, and I also with Yamaha didn't have paper thin hulls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information