Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    after reading gp123 thread, make sure to read all of the comments. gp1800 is 15k, 10-12k if you want a used one which again who knows what your actually getting. superchargers must or should be rebuilt quite frequently and can cost more than all the parts you have already bought. you spent 3k (same as myself 06 gp1300r)... anyway i am following this thread because I currently only have dplate installed, but I have purchased 13/20SB solas to install with PPK. Is that a OEM 800 grate you bought?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ds10002 View Post
    ... gp1800 ... superchargers must or should be rebuilt quite frequently and can cost more than ...
    Where are you getting this from?

The Yamaha SVHO supercharger has no regular or recommended rebuild interval. Nor the clutch for the SVHO supercharger. Depending on the riding/water conditions and the rider sometimes the Yamaha clutch does eventually wear and need replacement. Some riders will never need to change the clutch. Both of our GP1800 are well over 200 hours on the original clutches.

The older Seadoo superchargers did have a 100 hour rebuild interval, then it became 200 running hours or a certain amount of calendar time. My understanding is that the most recent Seadoo superchargers do not have a scheduled rebuild interval.
    Last edited by K447; 01-23-2020 at 04:07 PM.

+1
    Yea I made sure to read all the comments on that thread, seems to me like its sole purpose is to fill people with misinformation and be turned away from 2 strokes. I can buy 3 gprs for the price of a stock gp1800 and outrun a stock gp1800r with my Mods, as they are limited. I cant afford a brand new 4stroke let alone mod it. Any considerable 4stroke mods cost upwards of 1k. So I'm sticking with my original project

+1
    you are correct the brand new ones do not require regular supercharger rebuild. like u said used to be 100 hours or every two years? I watched a video on it where they open it all up with heat and close with a press to replace bearings i believe. I forgot I had read about that, my mistake, I didn't know if that concept actually held water or not

+1
    did you get the key way installed yet? where did you find the riva heads?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleoffthecobb View Post
    ... I cant afford a brand new 4stroke let alone mod it.

Any considerable 4stroke mods cost upwards of 1k.

So I'm sticking with my original project
    I am not intendng to disuade you (or anyone) from their own project watercraft).

GP1800 are available used. Mine are from 2017, first model year. Sure, one must verify the condition and mechanical state, but this is true of all watercraft that are purchased used.

On the flip side, the 1.8 liter SVHO engine would just be nicely broken in with hours that would necessitate a 2-stroke rebuild.

Used 2-stroke machines are of course less expensive to buy. Often the purchase price is nowhere near the running total including cost of upgrades, repairs, and running costs.

With just a tune, and no other hardware changes, the GP1800 can run quite fast. Cost is well under $1,000.

A lot of people on here still have or used to operate 2-stroke watercraft. Many are familiar with the differences and the trade-offs.

If I was running 2-strokes still* I would likely be looking at complete engine rebuilds by now (circa 250 running hours each in three years, times two watercraft).

I tended to purchase high grade 2-stroke oil (Legend ZX2R) which over multiple years adds up to roughly the cost of a rebuilt engine. On top of actually paying for an actual engine rebuild just from normal wear. I spend a lot less per year for Yamalube GP1800 oil than I did for my 2-strokes.

* We still have a 2-stroke Kawasaki SXR-800

+1
    Had to go back to school so havent gotten to the keyway yet. But I should be able to next weekend. I got the heads off of a member on the forum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I am not intendng to disuade you (or anyone) from their own project watercraft).

GP1800 are available used. Mine are from 2017, first model year. Sure, one must verify the condition and mechanical state, but this is true of all watercraft that are purchased used.

On the flip side, the 1.8 liter SVHO engine would just be nicely broken in with hours that would necessitate a 2-stroke rebuild.

Used 2-stroke machines are of course less expensive to buy. Often the purchase price is nowhere near the running total including cost of upgrades, repairs, and running costs.

With just a tune, and no other hardware changes, the GP1800 can run quite fast. Cost is well under $1,000.

A lot of people on here still have or used to operate 2-stroke watercraft. Many are familiar with the differences and the trade-offs.

If I was running 2-strokes still* I would likely be looking at complete engine rebuilds by now (circa 250 running hours each in three years, times two watercraft).

I tended to purchase high grade 2-stroke oil (Legend ZX2R) which over multiple years adds up to roughly the cost of a rebuilt engine. On top of actually paying for an actual engine rebuild just from normal wear. I spend a lot less per year for Yamalube GP1800 oil than I did for my 2-strokes.

* We still have a 2-stroke Kawasaki SXR-800
    I understand, I've saved a lot of buying used parts like ride plate and intake grate. Once I'm done I should only be into it about 1000 dollars so that's 4500 give or take on the ski+mods which is pretty good for adding about 8 to 10 mph

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information