2003 Genesis I - Bogging issue

Hey guys, hope somebody has seen this issue before. My 03 Genesis I starts up fine runs strong etc until it gets hot, then while running at any speed other than idle, it boggs down and gets rev limited. And every time it does this, I can shut it off and restart it and I am good to go until it does it again, which there is not pattern to the second time if there is a second time. A couple of observations
    1. no warning lite on the MFD, it is just looking normal.
    2. this is temperature related, engine is hotter the more off it boggs. Let it sit and cool down, it takes awhile for it to happen again. Also happens more frequently in the summer months when the water temp is higher. Happens less often in spring and late summer (September) when the water temp is lower.
    3. Figured it is an electrical problem (as opposed to mechanical) because stopping and starting the engine immediately remedies it until the next time.

My Genesis is completely stock. I am thinking the tps may be crappin out but could this be something going on in the EMM? Any directions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

+1
    I'd start by monitoring the fuel pressure, at the Schrader valve, in the return line. It should be a consistent 25 psi. You can obtain an affordable gauge here. You'll want to monitor it while it is in the failed state.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I’d also check the water cooling circuit to the emm. It could be plugged and letting the emm get too warm

downunder123
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    I’d also check the water cooling circuit to the emm. It could be plugged and letting the emm get too warm
    Agree, an overheating EMM will not show warning on MFI

+1
    There was another thread with near identical symptoms on a 2002 Genesis I. You may want to take a look at it or PM the OP and see if he resolved the issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bspanovic View Post
    Agree, an overheating EMM will not show warning on MFI
    Actually, EMM overtemp is one of the items that causes SLOW mode, and will light the CEL.

S.L.O.W. Warning System (Speed Limiting Overheat Warning)

The EMM will go into S.L.O.W. mode to prevent serious engine and or EMM damage in the following instances:
    - Overheating Engine Cooling System
    - Overheating EMM Condition
    - Alternator Output Exceeds 45 Volts.

When the EMM activates the S.L.O.W. warning system, the EMM will interrupt fuel injector operation. The EMM
    will begin a gradual five second drop in engine RPM to a threshold limit of approximately 3500 RPM, and activate
    the MFI CHECK ENGINE lamp. As long as the EMM is in S.L.O.W. mode, the engine will run normally below
    3500 RPM. Above 3500 RPM, the engine will run poorly.

To recover from S.L.O.W. mode, two conditions must be satisfied. First, the failure that triggered S.L.O.W.
    activation must be repaired. Second, the engine RPM must be returned to idle. Once these two requirements
    are met, the S.L.O.W. warning system will deactivate allowing for normal operation.

S.L.O.W. Service Codes
    - Code 18 -- Alternator 45V Above Expected Range
    - Code 25 -- EMM Temperature Above Expected Range
    - Code 43 -- Water Temperature Above Expected Range

Thread Information