Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

VX CRUISER HO vs FX CRUISER HO

Hi
    I am absolute newbie in jetskis and I am about to buy my first. I decided it will be Waverunner as I hear it is reliable, stable, easy to maintain.
    Choosing the model and even a category is challenging. Here is where I need your help.
    So far I ruled out turbo-charged engine models as they require premium gas and have shorter live. Also not sure I need even more power that regular engine provide.
    3 cylinder engine seems like it might be not enough to carry 3 adults and pull out of the water full size man on skis or a board.
    I hope to occasionally go on long trips so I would think that cruiser seat make sense.
    Other than pulling skis behind I don't care how fast it will accelerate from zero and max speed.
    I can buy any of them just dont want to pay for more of what I really need.
    Please help me to choose right model and point out to me if something above doesn't make sense for you

At the moment I am in between
    VX CRUISER HO vs FX CRUISER HO

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

What kinds of water do you expect to ride on? Rivers, large lakes, ocean?

What do you consider to be a ‘long trip’?

How often will you have three people aboard?

How many hours per year would you expect to be riding?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

What kinds of water do you expect to ride on? Rivers, large lakes, ocean?
    All of the above with no discrimination

What do you consider to be a ‘long trip’?
    50 miles?... to Bimini from West Palm Beach, to smaller islands around Key West, Uninhibited Islands of east Georgia & Carolinas. I would even consider overnight camping trips somewhere in southwest Florida

How often will you have three people aboard?
    50% I would ride with my wife and our 6 y.o. 25% would be with friends pulling skis and a board, 25% by myself

How many hours per year would you expect to be riding?
    I can see 5 hours per weekend twice a month with 5-month long season.
    ...30 hours per year average seems wasteful to me, I think I will get more like 45 hours out of mine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by anechets View Post
    I can see 5 hours per weekend twice a month with 5-month long season.
    ...30 hours per year average seems wasteful to me, I think I will get more like 45 hours out of mine.
    If your going to be using in lakes,creeks and only expect to see very light chop, the vx ho cruis will suit you just fine, the fx offers increased stability, and handles extremely well in rough as its pump and tunnel design keep it loaded,, for your description of useage, the vx ho cruiser will be sufficient. Just make sure you you do not get the vx non h.o. the tr-1 is a great motor. But with riding 2 and 3 up and pulling tubes ,,its power output will be exposed immediately ,leaving you wishing you went for the brute torque of the 1.8 motor. Hppe i was able the help. Good luck with your decision!!!!!

+1
    To Bimini, and to islands away from the Keys ...

That six year old will be growing every year.

I suspect the larger FX hull would be the sensible choice. Good sea keeping with the longer/larger hull, especially when the water is not smooth. Larger seat space and overall capacity for stuff.

I have the GP1800 which is essentially the same hull as current generation VX series, but the GP1800 engine has supercharger. Otherwise the same hull and overall handling characteristics. The GP/VX is a fun hull, especially when riding solo. It is not optimal with 2 people and certainly not with 3. Especially when the water is not smooth.

The new-for-2019 FX hull has been described as a larger GP1800. I have not yet ridden the new FX but apparently it handles well despite being larger overall.

Thank you, thank you... Do FX CRUISER HO and FX HO different by the seat only? Is cruiser seat so much more comfortable on long rides?
    Also, no plans to pull a tube (what kind of sport is that sitting in the tube... same as zip lining - a sack of potatoes is as good as experienced athlete in such sport). I will pull only skier or someone on a board...
    Will 4 cylinder with NO turbo charge be powerful enough to pull adult out of the water?

+1
    ... Do FX CRUISER HO and FX HO different by the seat only? Is cruiser seat so much more comfortable on long rides?

... I will pull only skier or someone on a board...

Will 4 cylinder with NO turbo charge be powerful enough to pull adult out of the water?
    The primary difference with Cruiser models is the seat. The engine, hull bottom and upper deck are the same. A Cruiser seat will actually swap onto a non-Cruiser model and vice-versa (not sure if the rear grab rail differs slightly in shape).

Some people really prefer the Cruiser seating, others (especially people with long legs) may dislike that the rider position is fixed to the seat bolster location. Sometimes the rear seating position is slightly higher with the Cruiser seat, which makes it easier for the person in the back to see forward.

BUT sometimes there are slight feature differences, such as nozzle Trim adjust for the jet pump, or Cruise Control mode or No-Wake mode, included on some model versions and not present on others.

The non-supercharged Yamaha 1.8 liter engine is about 180hp (which is the most powerful NA engine across all the brands). That is enough to pull a single person out of the water, even with a spotter on board.

Note that the high powered SVHO version of the 1.8 liter engine is supercharged, not turbo-charged. There are no turbocharged watercraft for sale new. Years ago there was a couple, they are no longer made.

The high power Seadoo, Kawasaki and Yamaha are all supercharged and intercooled engines. Yamaha SVHO produces 260+ hp stock, and is easily increased to 300hp+ with aftermarket products.

For the non-supercharged 1.8 liter HO engine there are some aftermarket upgrades but the actual power gains are less impressive. The HO engine runs very nicely in completely stock configuration.

Can't speak to the VX Cruiser HO but have just purchased the FX Cruiser HO and as a newby find it quite stable in strong chop at both high and low speeds and during sharp maneuvers. There is considerable power from the 1800 HO and chose it over the SVHO due to projected fuel use when the super charger is in use. The cruiser opera/stepped seating was another reason we got the cruiser, apparently the non cruiser seat is meant to provide the pilot more agility/movement during sharp turns etc.

There are a number of differences such as pop up cleats etc but a check of the pdf brochure will best describe the differences.

Ok, then, FX CRUISER HO it is.
    Is now good time to buy? I was thinking I should wait till boat show in Miami, bring cash and ask for max discount. Is that a good idea?
    Should I shop for trailer somewhere else or just buy it from the dealer together with pwc

+1
    Should I shop for trailer somewhere else or just buy it from the dealer together with pwc?
    Trailer is a separate question.

My input is that for salt water launching you want an aluminum trailer with stainless steel hardware. Alternate would be a galvanized steel trailer. Painted steel trailer would not be a good choice.

I have owned several and currently use the Triton trailer, welded aluminum frame with torsion axle suspension. All stainless steel bolt hardware.

For a single watercraft, choose the top Triton model with curved/bowed down cross frame design. The wood bunks are mounted lower, which allows the hull to ride lower (compared to a trailer with straight across frame members), so the trailer does not have to be backed as far down the launch ramp to get the hull floating.

With salt water launching you do not want to get the tow vehicle wet. A low bunk height combined with a nice long trailer tongue helps keep the tow vehicle away from the water’s edge.

If the dealer does not sell a trailer of the type you might prefer, shop separately for the trailer. If they do sell Triton or a comparable high grade salt water tolerant trailer, evaluate the trailer choice carefully.

A ‘good deal’ on a trailer that is not going to last (corrode/rust) or is not going to work well at the launch ramp (such as getting your car wet with in salt water) is not a good deal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information