Polaris SLH 700 premix

Hi there has anyone changed there ski to premix and if so what mixture ratio do you run it at?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanRoy View Post
    ... has anyone changed there ski to premix and if so what mixture ratio do you run it at?
    Yes, some people have converted the engine to use pre-mixed oil in the fuel. Many more have not.

Typical ratio is 40:1 oil mixture, 32:1 during engine break-in.

Oil consumption using pre-mix is about twice that of the factory variable rate oiling system. So twice the money spent on oil, for the same amount of riding time. Also more exhaust smoke.

Why are you asking about the change?

The stock Polaris oil injection system is quite reliable. Just check all hoses and clamps for wear, aging, rubbing, etc. if the oil hoses are in good shape and the oil filter is not clogged the oil system tends to just keep working.

3. +1 by:

The ski i bought had been sitting around for a while and the previous owner premixed i am happy using premix at the right ratio as iv had issues with other oil injection systems on bikes ect i dont want to take the risk and find out its not working because he has ran it dry before as to get a new engine over to the uk isnt cheap.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanRoy View Post
    The ski i bought had been sitting around for a while and the previous owner premixed i am happy using premix at the right ratio as iv had issues with other oil injection systems on bikes ect i dont want to take the risk and find out its not working because he has ran it dry before as to get a new engine over to the uk isnt cheap.
    Well, you can (temporarily) pre-mix oil in the fuel (say 50:1) while also reconnecting and running the oil injection system. If you can see the oil tank level slowly being consumed as you ride then the oil pump must be pumping oil. And therefore oiling the engine.

Note: The oil tank level will change quite slowly as these engines do not need a lot of oil flow for lubrication. Estimate roughly 1 liter of oil consumption for every 60 or so liters of fuel consumed. Might be less than that.

Oil pump flow rate increases with engine RPM and with throttle position. At medium-low RPM the engine needs very little oil feed, which is one reason the oil pump system reduces exhaust smoke. Also less unburned and gummy black oil residue coming out the hull exhaust into the water.

Does your engine (single carburetor I presume) only have one oiling port on the engine or two?

Thread Information