Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starter Gear Movment on crankshaft

Is it normal for gear number 18 to slide forward and backwards on crank shaft? I tried posting a video but wasn't able.

thanks its from a 1.8L SVHO engine 2015.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9192.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	456893  

+1
    My crank is out on my motor I can check when I get it back shortly. This motor has a few hours on it so it should be a good indicator.

Robert

+1
    Ski won't run? Ignition timing is off? If so, your stub shaft which tightens the flywheel down is loose. I had this happen on my '18 VXR earlier this year. Motor has to com out the flywheel key shears as soon as it comes loose.
    Last edited by Saum700p; 12-30-2019 at 11:54 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stx-di View Post

Is it normal for gear number 18 to slide forward and backwards on crank shaft? I tried posting a video but wasn't able.

No, that's not normal.

OK thanks. The manual said not to reuse the Flywheel magneto. HAs anyone reuse it?

+1
    OK thanks. The manual said not to reuse the Flywheel magneto. HAs anyone reuse it?
    Yes, you just need to make sure the mating surface isn't damaged.

+1

if I remember correctly 16, 17 & 18 are bolted together with the 6 flywheel bolts. There should be no movement between them and they should press tight onto the crahnkshaft. Replace the 6 flywheel bolts with the ARP kit while its apart the bolts aren't that much and you're going to need a new woodruff key. The the surfaces are damaged you'll possibly need a flywheel and stubshaft also.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Saum700p View Post
    if I remember correctly 16, 17 & 18 are bolted together with the 6 flywheel bolts. There should be no movement between them and they should press tight onto the crahnkshaft. Replace the 6 flywheel bolts with the ARP kit while its apart the bolts aren't that much and you're going to need a new woodruff key. The the surfaces are damaged you'll possibly need a flywheel and stubshaft also.
    No, 16 and 17 are not bolted to 18, the starter gear 18, uses a sprag clutch similar to the SC clutch. It grabs when turned in one direction but free wheels in the other direction.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    No, 16 and 17 are not bolted to 18, the starter gear 18, uses a sprag clutch similar to the SC clutch. It grabs when turned in one direction but free wheels in the other direction.
    Thats right 16 and 17, but they are all one tight assembly as long as the sprag isn't damaged. I knew they came off together when I tore mine down for a sheared key but could remember exactly. But the only way to get to that is to pull the motor. Any problems in that area my money would be on a sheared key and loose stub shaft.

No. 18 starter flywheel is engaged with the starter motor and is sitting on the crankshaft with a bronze? Bushing.

The magneto flywheel and sprag are bolted together and the flywheel locks on a taper located on the key held in place with the transfer shaft and the special nut.

The sprag sits over the inside of the starter flywheel and turns with the crankshaft.

The starter flywheel has to stay stationary while the engine is running, and turns the engine via the sprag when the starter motor is engaged.

Does it still move forward and back with the starter motor installed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information