Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 polaris genesis i

hello to all,

my name is Robert and i bought a 2002 Polaris genesis i in really good conditions exterior wise but motor does not run. according to the guy i bought it from they put it in the water and forgot to plug it and it has a blown cylinder. i don't know much about motors but i bought this jet ski as a project and i would like to see it on the water. after bringing the jet ski to my house i found it has a broken coolant manifold and also cylinders are cracked. am i going to have to pull the motor out to repair it?

i appreciate any help i can get.

+1
    My advice is pull the motor. If it has the damage you described it’s bound to have more. I would inspect every part of that motor before putting it back together.

i appreciate your advice i actually took your advice and went ahead and pulled the motor out. for being a first timer it actually wasnt hard at all. apperantly this motor has been flooded. i found the silencer exhaust full of water. the cylinder wont come out it is seized in there. im letting it soak over night in WD-40.

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk!

You'll need to do a complete teardown of the motor to see what parts (if any) are salvageable. Most likely the crankshaft is bad (the most expensive part in the motor). Hopefully at least the flywheel and stator are still good, those aren't cheap either. Post up some pictures of your progress.

For some reason it is not uploading the pictures. So far my exhaust is cracked along with the 3 cylinders and the coolant manifold. I have not been able to take off the cylinders yet because it is seized.

+1
    Might be better to just get a good used motor at this point...

+1
    Everything you describe sounds as if it froze with everything full of water. I just canít figure out how thatís possible. As far as my experience goes, the water runs out when you pull it out of the water. Maybe it was sunk then left in the water until freezing?

I live in Florida so no didnt freeze. I took the flywheel cover off and I was able to spin it the pistons went up and down. I tried opening the crankshaft but it's pretty tight not a easy open. One of the cylinders is just stuck in its housing I might have to use heat to take it off.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorrob View Post
    ... was able to spin it the pistons went up and down.

I tried opening the crankshaft but it's pretty tight not a easy open.

One of the cylinders is just stuck in its housing I might have to use heat to take it off.
    Not sure what you tried to open.

Nor what is stuck in what housing.

+1
    Right, I keep forgetting not everybody has Nova Scotia temperatures. I wonder what caused everything to crack.

As suggested above, a good used motor is probably your best option. Hopefully they’re easier to find where you are than here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information