Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 ultra 300x wonít rev past 5800rpm

Hey folks, first time poster, long time lurker. I have a 2013 ultra 300x which has surging/revving problem which I havnt been able to fix for some time now.
    When I launch the ski, it will perform flawlessly for 5 minutes then the revs die in the ass and it wonít get past 5800rpm. When you give it full throttle it just surges. If I shut it off and restart, no difference. (See the YouTube link)
    I have searched through the forums and done the following:
    -replaced supercharger belt
    -rebuilt tensioner
    -no water leaks in hull
    -checked exhaust filter
    -replaced plugs, leads and coil packs
    -did a boost leak test (blew compressed air through the bov rubber elbow with intercooler inlet blocked)
    -removed the fuel pump and checked the screen- was 100% clean
    -checked the vent check valve..now this may be dodgy..when I blow into it in the direction itís suppose to allow air through, it doesnít freely flow air. I have to put a bit of pressure on it to even get a little bit of air out the other end. Even when cleaned with compressed air itís the same. Is this normal? Iím thinking because the ski runs great for the first 5 mins it might be something like this. Is there something else that could be causing this issue?
    Thanks guys

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Air trumpet sucking up to the hull?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Air trumpet sucking up to the hull?
    300/310 design is different to early 250/260 Airbox.... can't happen.

Do you have the SCOM on this Ski? If so, are you getting any Fault Codes on your Dash Board?

If you do have the SCOM, the fittings may be "loose" or not set up correctly. JB

+1
    You can search the archives for guys with similar symptoms and how such issues were alleviated.

So with such being said - I will share with you some of these issues discovered which should enable you to get diagnosing right away.

1. You can run the ski with the seats off - and even the rear section held on with (4) 10mm cone nuts. This will enable you to see if it is being "choked-out" with exhaust fumes - yet other models are certainly more suseptible to this issue.

2. With the seats off - maybe even better with the ski strapped to the trailer and in the water a good ways - look for water leaking around the driveshaft bearing holder - and possibly spraying on the Supercharger Belt - which would cause slippage.

3. Let us know what the Boost Gauge is doing during this time - probably bouncing up and down?

4. Probably time to conduct the following Maintenance Assignment to the Supercharger Drive Belt Tensioner:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2655153

5. Certainly inspect to see if your Exhaust Filter is still intact and if it's gone - it could be trying to exit out the exhaust hose - plugging the exhaust flow - and possibly allowing exhaust fumes into the hull via a cut hose - which could result in an even more serious issue - namely taking on water and flooding the engine compartment.

Reference:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221364

Good Luck !!!

PS - if this has happened since you have owned the machine - it could be a fault in the ECM - which would constitute a re-flash. Certainly out of warranty now I am sure.

Reference:

https://www.brisbanekawasaki.com.au/ecu-reflash

Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Do you have the SCOM on this Ski? If so, are you getting any Fault Codes on your Dash Board?

If you do have the SCOM, the fittings may be "loose" or not set up correctly. JB
    No fault codes on the dash. I had the jet pump rebuilt last week also and whilst he was there he put the candoo tool on it. No active or logged codes whilst running on the hose. I do have a SCOM, Iíll check the wiring in the morning, thanks 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    You can search the archives for guys with similar symptoms and how such issues were alleviated.

So with such being said - I will share with you some of these issues discovered which should enable you to get diagnosing right away.

1. You can run the ski with the seats off - and even the rear section held on with (4) 10mm cone nuts. This will enable you to see if it is being "choked-out" with exhaust fumes - yet other models are certainly more suseptible to this issue.

2. With the seats off - maybe even better with the ski strapped to the trailer and in the water a good ways - look for water leaking around the driveshaft bearing holder - and possibly spraying on the Supercharger Belt - which would cause slippage.

3. Let us know what the Boost Gauge is doing during this time - probably bouncing up and down?

4. Probably time to conduct the following Maintenance Assignment to the Supercharger Drive Belt Tensioner:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2655153

5. Certainly inspect to see if your Exhaust Filter is still intact and if it's gone - it could be trying to exit out the exhaust hose - plugging the exhaust flow - and possibly allowing exhaust fumes into the hull via a cut hose - which could result in an even more serious issue - namely taking on water and flooding the engine compartment.

Reference:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221364

Good Luck !!!

PS - if this has happened since you have owned the machine - it could be a fault in the ECM - which would constitute a re-flash. Certainly out of warranty now I am sure.

Reference:

https://www.brisbanekawasaki.com.au/ecu-reflash
    Thanks for the info mate, I have recently rebuilt the tensioner and fitted a grease nipple to it. Ive also had the whole exhaust apart and machined the surfaces flat, cleaned the water passages out with a wet sandblaster, inspected the exhaust filter which was in great condition. At WOT whilst itís faulting the boost gauge holds a solid 12-13psi doesnít fluctuate at all.
    What rpm is considered safe whilst testing in the water on the trailer?

For Trailer testing "any" RPM is OK. I would just make sure the Ski is tied down to the Trailer very very well, and it's deep enough so you can get water into the cooling lines.

Realistically though, you should't need to use more then a quarter throttle. If there's an issue, it should be obvious at quarter throttle or even less. JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausjet01 View Post
    I have recently rebuilt the tensioner and... Ive also inspected the exhaust filter which was in great condition. At WOT whilst it’s faulting the boost gauge holds a solid 12-13psi doesn’t fluctuate at all.
    ----------------------------------
    I probably should have read your initial Post a little more closely - yet I was in a hurry - so I apologize for recommending such things that you have done already.

There is a procedure that a guy posted about checking the fuel pump output prime volume - as your issue could be related to inadequate fuel delivery.

Reference:

Also - here's a similar issue from an earlier thread - which proved to be related to a fuel delivery problem.

Reference:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=255883

Did you clean your intercooler? Don't disassemble the intercooler - just clean via the air inlet and outlet ports with solvent and then some detergent based cleaner and rinse with clean water and dry before re-installing.

Good Luck !!!

Quick update, checked the intercooler, was clean, fitted a new fuel vent valve, SCOM wiring looked fine, checked fuel flow on 3 second prime was on spec at ~90ml. Took it out this arvo- still surging. Maybe it’s compression related given it only starts faulting after 5 mins of riding. Or an inaccurate tps, clutching at straws now ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information