Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsprung weight

+1

Unsprung weight

The thread should be Rotational Mass.
    Thank you for correcting me ncdoo.

I have a 20 PSI compressor wheel, so before I install Dean’s HD Clutch I am thinking of drilling out the supercharger’s idler gear to lighten the rotational mass of the gear assembly. This should reduce the shock load on the clutch, allowing it to last longer with less wear. I don’t know the weight savings of this mod yet. I will weigh it before and after the machining of the idler gear. I will also drill out the crank bolt to 5mm before the re-install to improve oil flow to the clutch bearings as per

Merry Christmas
    Take Care
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 01-08-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Correction of Info.

+1
    Take pictures and videos. following

+1
    I would be careful to watch the balance of the parts you cut.

Robert

4. +1 by:

+1
    I will Robert, I am sending the gear to a machine shop. they will mill it on a Hass CNC Machine today or tomorrow. I did what you recommend as regards to buying Dean`s Clutch too.

Thank you
    C J

+1
    I think you have a misconception on what actually is "unsprung" weight. I think you're actually referring to rotational mass. Here's a good article that might help explain it. https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-unsprung-weight

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    I think you have a misconception on what actually is "unsprung" weight. I think you're actually referring to rotational mass. Here's a good article that might help explain it. https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/what-is-unsprung-weight

I just dropped off my gear at the machine shop where they build Nascar engines and you are right about my misunderstanding I have about unsprung weight and rotational mass. I have not yet read the article that you have asked me to read, I will as I am done here. Anything more you can add, please do so, and thank you ncdoo .

Merry Christmas to you and the family,
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 12-20-2019 at 09:17 PM.

+1
    unsprung weight usually refers to anything on the car that is Not supported by the suspension . like the wheel, brakes , rear end, lower control arms, ect. sprung weight is anything that the suspension supports,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    I will Robert, I am sending the gear to a machine shop. they will mill it on a Hass CNC Machine today or tomorrow. I did what you recommend as regards to buying Dean`s Clutch too.

Thank you
    C J
    R&D use to offer this service before they closed up. I have the weight info before and after machining if I can find it. Here is the in for for you. pictures and weights http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ear+lightening
    Last edited by 2fast4u; 12-20-2019 at 09:07 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    R&D use to offer this service before they closed up. I have the weight info before and after machining if I can find it.
    This must be a company that was around before Sally and I got our ski in jan. 2018. If you remember, how much did it cost and did they do this service for the same reason that I am doing it? Or was it done for other reasons? I might be on the same track that they were thinking.

Thanks as always Take Care of Yourself,
    C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    This must be a company that was around before Sally and I got our ski in jan. 2018. If you remember, how much did it cost and did they do this service for the same reason that I am doing it? Or was it done for other reasons? I might be on the same track that they were thinking.

Thanks as always Take Care of Yourself,
    C J
    I think the machine work charges were $75.00 It was done to reduce the rotational weight so the clutch rpms would slow down faster when the clutch sprag un locked from the supercharger this helped things wind down quicker.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information