Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Unsprung weight

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Well I put a BOV on the ski, lighten the idler gear to the supercharger, drained the synthetic oil and filled it with conventional 15w40, installed New CR clutch. I brought the ski down to the lake today and went for a test ride. Everything is fine except the BOV, a Tial BOV sounds like someone's toilet flushing when it opens, I don't like the noise of it at all.

The boost the supercharger was making last summer was 14psi now it is 18-19 psi. Much more midrange now

CJ
    So you just swapped out the idler gear, installed a new clutch and BOV, and put dino oil in it. That gave you another 4-5 lbs of boost? What rpm are you running and what Sc wheel??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Saum700p View Post
    So you just swapped out the idler gear, installed a new clutch and BOV, and put dino oil in it. That gave you another 4-5 lbs of boost?
    The idler gear, BOV, oil change, will not make the supercharger produce an extra 4-5 lbs of boost. The gear, BOV, oil change have nothing to do directly with the psi the supercharger is producing. I have this ski setup for mid-range and cruising, it was not tuned by Jerry for top end speed. I use it for fishing and towing the kid when he wants to water ski.

Yes Saum700p, last summer it would not make 19 psi. I think the clutch was slipping then. Now it is consistently hitting ( the gauge is not the most accurate ) 18-19 psi like it should. It is now like when I first put the 19 psi wheel in the supercharger housing in 2018, it is now back to normal.
    Take Care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-25-2020 at 12:41 PM.

+1
    After having the idler gear drilled to lighten the rotational mass,
    it brought it from 396 grams to 371 grams. Now i dont know if that
    is going to do much good for the life of this new clutch.
    Only time will tell, I do think the BOV ( 1-FAST-SHO`s recommendation ) and changing the oil from synthetic to conventional oil will do some good in keeping the clutch working longer
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-25-2020 at 04:39 AM.

+1
    What boost gauge are you running? I want to get one, just for fun. but dont want to spend too much on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    What boost gauge are you running?
    This one is not expensive and is mechanical, no LEDs or anything like that. Give me a day or two to dig up the receipt of where I bought it and how much I paid. I will post it for you to see.

Take Care Reaper
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-25-2020 at 02:13 PM.

+1
    • Hello Reaper here is the info you asked me for. I thought it would take me longer to get your info.
    • GlowShift White Turbo Boost/Vacuum Gauge Reads Vehicle's Boost Levels from 0 to 30 PSI & Vacuum Compression
    • 2-1/16" (52mm) Diameter with White Dial, Illuminated Red Needle & Clear Lens
    • Mechanical Boost Gauge
    • I paid $42.99 on Amazon
    • Item model number GS-W701-SM
    Take Care
    CJ

When you install it I would like to see your idea of how you mounted it on your ski. Hope I was of help to you.
    CJ

+1
    Thank you CJK for the kind words.

Our recommendation is the 8 psi spring on stock superchargers or superchargers equipped with a 17 lb wheel. Typically superchargers with a 19 lb wheel or higher will have a smoother response with the lightest spring (2 psi) due to the lighter spring being able to let out the extra vacuum pressure the bigger wheels produce. The above recommendations apply to the vast majority of circumstances. Racing closed course or drag racing, or riding in constant chop may have an affect on your spring preference. For this reason, we have springs on hand to fulfill any special requests.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post

Our recommendation is the 8 psi spring on stock superchargers or superchargers equipped with a 17 lb wheel. Typically superchargers with a 19 lb wheel or higher will have a smoother response with the lightest spring (2 psi) due to the lighter spring being able to let out the extra vacuum pressure the bigger wheels produce. The above recommendations apply to the vast majority of circumstances. Racing closed course or drag racing, or riding in constant chop may have an affect on your spring preference. For this reason, we have springs on hand to fulfill any special requests.
    So if the light spring is good for the bigger wheels.
    how is it negative for the lighter / stock ones.

in the auto world, you want it light and responsive on a blower.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post

Jim with all do courtesy, did you mean to say extra pressure the supercharge or the extra vacuum in the diagram of the BOV or both?

Thanks
    CJ

+1
    Well, in reality the bigger supercharger produces both (more vacuum pressure and more boost pressure) at opposite extremes of the RPM range than the smaller wheels. The blow off valve spring recommendations are made by referencing vacuum pressure. You can check the TiAL spring chart to confirm. The important part is that both the 2 psi spring and 8 psi spring are able to vent vacuum on the Yamaha supercharger. Anything heavier than 8 psi for a non-turbo setup and I think you're defeating the purpose of the blow off valve to an extent.

With that said, I have dozens of customers running all kinds of spring pressures (2 psi, 6 psi, 8 psi, 10 psi) and even HKS valves without adjustable spring pressures. There's a wide range of what's in use and I haven't any horror stories either way. To say what's ideal for each and every setup is somewhat up to preference. The springs I supply with the stock intercooler tubing kit are going to be the best option for 99.9% of rec riders. The lighter springs are geared more towards racing and big superchargers. There's guys running more than 40 psi on a supercharger. You can imagine they need to vent that vacuum pressure when they're off boost...

Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Jim with all do courtesy, did you mean to say extra pressure the supercharge or the extra vacuum in the diagram of the BOV or both?

Thanks
    CJ

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information