Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

2016 Spark Crankshaft Splines

Yet another post about the spline issue. Been reading up on this and trying to get a game plan together. Got a call from a inquiring customer about doing this repair on his 2016 spark. I'm primarily a 2 stroke shop but not afraid of the 4 strokes.

Questions I have are:

Build dates/updated crank post March 2016 (per parts books) How do I confirm build date of this unit. Last 4 of HIN are C616. From what I have read elsewhere this means build date is March 16 and model year is 16. Is there any other way of telling which version of the crank I have without having the motor out/apart? Is the March date called out in the book a accurate date? Is there any info or serial numbers that lists the last/first serial numbers built with non-upgraded/upgraded crankshafts?

If this is a pre-upgraded crank model then I will be looking into machining it to accept the PTO adapter from the post-upgraded cranks. I have emailed the guy from New Zealand to get pricing info and other info on that option. Anybody else gone this route? I also read about jetshed doing this? Curious on current available options for this.

If this is indeed a model with the upgraded crank then I will just be looking at replacing the adapter. My question on that is on removal of the old adapter. I am assuming you use the impeller removal tool/pto removal tool just like you would on older 2-stroke units. But if the splines are damaged then this means the tool wouldn't be usable as a way to break it lose correct? It needs splines to grab as it is just a driveshaft spline end with a machined end for a large 6 point socket. I guess if anything I can just purchase a new removal tool and weld it onto the adapter then break it lose...

From what he told me, local dealership wants more then the ski is worth to repair and not being any help on cost as it is just out of warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    Yet another post about the spline issue. Been reading up on this and trying to get a game plan together. Got a call from a inquiring customer about doing this repair on his 2016 spark. I'm primarily a 2 stroke shop but not afraid of the 4 strokes.

Questions I have are:

Build dates/updated crank post March 2016 (per parts books) How do I confirm build date of this unit. Last 4 of HIN are C616. From what I have read elsewhere this means build date is March 16 and model year is 16. Is there any other way of telling which version of the crank I have without having the motor out/apart? Is the March date called out in the book a accurate date? Is there any info or serial numbers that lists the last/first serial numbers built with non-upgraded/upgraded crankshafts?

If this is a pre-upgraded crank model then I will be looking into machining it to accept the PTO adapter from the post-upgraded cranks. I have emailed the guy from New Zealand to get pricing info and other info on that option. Anybody else gone this route? I also read about jetshed doing this? Curious on current available options for this.

If this is indeed a model with the upgraded crank then I will just be looking at replacing the adapter. My question on that is on removal of the old adapter. I am assuming you use the impeller removal tool/pto removal tool just like you would on older 2-stroke units. But if the splines are damaged then this means the tool wouldn't be usable as a way to break it lose correct? It needs splines to grab as it is just a driveshaft spline end with a machined end for a large 6 point socket. I guess if anything I can just purchase a new removal tool and weld it onto the adapter then break it lose...

From what he told me, local dealership wants more then the ski is worth to repair and not being any help on cost as it is just out of warranty...
    BRP or the dealer will let you know the build date and if it has the updated PTO.

+1
    To update this. Build date is 03/10/2016. They could not tell me whether or not this has the updated PTO for sure. This was me talking to a sales manager I have dealt with in the past and trust at a dealership other then the one this was purchased from. Maybe a parts guy could dig deeper...

If anyone has any further information/references that can help determine if this has the updated PTO adapter please share.

Regardless, the ski is now at my place. I have started getting into it and am waiting on a crankshaft locking tool to get here to move any further on it.

I have attached a picture of the PTO "Adapter".

I unfortunately cant find any references to that part number on the adapter.

At this point my plan is to yank the motor out and attempt to get a heavy duty impact gun on it to see if it spins off. I don't want to try a big breaker bar/cheater bar and risk breaking something beyond the crankshaft or impeller tool. If it is the screw on type and it comes off great. If I cant get it broke loose then I will remove the crankshaft and try harder at spinning it off. Beyond that I will attempt to cut it off as a last ditch effort before ordering a new crank.

Again, if anyone has any further information that can help determine if this has the updated PTO adapter please share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	457025  

Sorry, I don't know, but I'd email that photo strait to BRP customer service and ask.
    Last edited by K447; 01-04-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: BRP

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    That is a late style crank so you can replace the slleve the old style has a large hub where its pressed on the the replaceable type like you have there has almost no hub where the thread is. Use a crank locking tool hammer a spline tool into the pto and use a 3/4 or 1" rattle gun to shock it loose. I did 2 this week and have another 2 cranks to remove to machine the end for late style sleeve so going to be plenty more for sure

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonze View Post
    That is a late style crank so you can replace the slleve the old style has a large hub where its pressed on the the replaceable type like you have there has almost no hub where the thread is. Use a crank locking tool hammer a spline tool into the pto and use a 3/4 or 1" rattle gun to shock it loose. I did 2 this week and have another 2 cranks to remove to machine the end for late style sleeve so going to be plenty more for sure

That is fantastic info. One question, I have received the little crank locking tool. Wow that thing is tiny, is there any risk of that thing shearing off? I have a buddy bringing by his 3/4Ē impact this week to attempt to break it lose.

+1
    Andddd its off!

Little bit of heat from a propane torch and a Milwaukee 18v 3/4" impact gun borrowed from a buddy. Crazy how powerful those battery powered impacts are getting to be!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adapter.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	457377  

8. +1 by:

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    good stuff, yeah I was worried about the locking tool at first but done up tight it holds fine for a few good hits on a rattle gun but I wouldnt try and undo it with a big power bar or spanner and I think it might do some damage to the tool or cases.

+1
    We actually didnt even need the locking tool. Was able to use the compression of the motor. It would hit compression stroke and hold. Maybe got past 2-3 compression strokes but would stop again on the next cylinders compression.

Ordering new parts tomorrow and will be sending the ECM off to get the 90HP upgrade. Also will be installing the manual reverse kit.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    hope they dont charge you much to go from 60 to 90 as with a buds megatech software its just ticking 2 boxes to remove the power limitation.
    Probably not a bad idea not to use the locking tool!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information