Almost Sunk today

Hi all,

Set off to ride... launched out of the water with the awesome power the ski has..

Anyway riding for say 3 mins, Didn't know this at 1st. Was down on power, and thought i was sitting low, maybe i sucked something up, and or left bung out (never happened to me but hey?) Jumped in to check, all good, tried slow key.. then back to fast. Maybe supercharger is stuffed?

Putted over to the shore and started bailing out the hull... I couldnt see any reason for the water, But it was the cooling loop fitting broken off... found it after i started with the seat off.

Now it is clear it is from corrosion, The previous owner let it sit for a long while and im finding bits and pieces, This however is the 1st time ive been caught out on the water. Lucky for me i scored a tow back to the ramp without sinking

I haven't been out for a 2 months or so, I was sure to flush very well last ride, and cover motor with wd40, and fog the super charger etc.
    Ive owned the ski for 3 years, its a 2013 model.
    Should stuff like this be picked up in the services? Any tips on how to prevent this?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yikes.PNG 
Views:	251 
Size:	674.7 KB 
ID:	456682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yuck.PNG 
Views:	254 
Size:	340.9 KB 
ID:	456683   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kawasakiultra300lx.PNG 
Views:	247 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	456684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kawasakiultra300lxcooling.PNG 
Views:	247 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	456685  

+1
    The cooling systems on these are known to have problems with cooling fittings. Flush and coat the outside with protectant regularly.

Install an electric bilge pump!

So i have the Crappy design oil cooler, what could have been simple $20 fix. No

Looking for engine removal thread... Or is this a leave it to the mechanic kinda job (will have to wait to mid Jan if im lucky)

Name:	ultra300lx39067B.PNG 
Views:	202 
Size:	400.1 KB 
ID:	456713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FML.PNG 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	456714  

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja380 View Post
    So i have the Crappy design oil cooler, what could have been simple $20 fix. No

Looking for engine removal thread... Or is this a leave it to the mechanic kinda job (will have to wait to mid Jan if im lucky)

NO this isn't a service issue 100%
    It's a result of poor post ride care , even looking at other rusty bolts it's obvious it's had less than required cleaning and corossion protection in it life..

No need to remove the engine , just remove inlet manifold and then remove the cooler.
    Pull it apart to inspect for any internal corrosion.
    Then if all is good inside , just cut the old ends off.then drill and tap it for some brass nipples.

Now if that's out of your skill set then yes take it to a jetski shop.... mind you most will suggest a new cooler body as they won't take on the liability of your corroded current cooler.. as they have to warrant the job.. but yes it can be repaired if the corrosion isn't too deep.

Yes all brand ski corrode from poor owner care.
    I just finished doing a service on a 250hr old 2009 260 I've been looking after for 10years, and it has any corrosion.. the customer listened to my advise of ways to care for it, its 100% saltwater use gold coast ski....

+1
    The same thing happened to my riding buddy's 2011 Ultra-LX.

I had to tow him back to the launch ramp because his oil cooler nozzle rotted off - like yours did.

It's probably best to replace with new - if you plan to keep the ski - as there was a member here on this Forum that was getting his oil contaminated with water - and it was due to the oil cooler had rotted out - from poor "Post Ride Care".

My buddy's ski sure looked nice - when he bought it used - but underneath it proved to be an abused NaCl Water Queen.

Here's another area to look for deterioration:

Reference This Previous Thread Here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=261371

If you're planning to keep your ski - I recommend you also educate yourself on Sean's STX / Ultra-LX Thread.

Reference Here:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2046275

Lastly Reference:

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    It's a result of poor post ride care ...
    I hate to say it - but Waz is "almost" always correct concerning these Kawasaki Jet-Ski's - even though he's on the "upside down" side of the Planet
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. +1 by:

Not sure I agree with SBAL, I flush the hell out of my skis (all salt, sitting above salt on lifts), engine 3-5 minutes on hose, IC 5+minutes (plus 10 seconds fogging SC). I've done this after every ride since Day One and had the same thing happen. Luckily for me I discovered it while engine was out for total rebuild. He is correct about the drill and tap for brass nipples.

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_563f.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	285.6 KB 
ID:	456793  

Have a customer that bought 2 stx 15f '13-'14 .the 2013 sank, shop in PA. Said it needed new motor . I found fitting that spooling. Pic shows the 1 on the bottom, looks like motor has to come out , to get to it.

Thread Information