Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Gutted waterbox

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    Yea I know man but I come from motocross and man I loved the rip of my CR80/125 boysen reed, 2 over, fmf piped dg exhaust stinger bike that I rode through the neighborhood ( on my way to the track, us kids could do that in the 80s)..... omg it was loud, but sounded so good to me.... so that’s my point it may sound good to you but it annoys the hell out of everyone else
    If its too loud you are too old. Haha lucky you moved or ill annoy you some more around taylors.

2. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    If its too loud you are too old. Haha lucky you moved or ill annoy you some more around taylors.
    lol I always could hear you coming by ... even over the tv haha I loved the way your ski sounds!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Everyone understands Loud Pipes saves lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by moparguy View Post
    Amen
    Quote Originally Posted by seabrook View Post
    Yea I know man but I come from motocross and man I loved the rip of my CR80/125 boysen reed, 2 over, fmf piped dg exhaust stinger bike that I rode through the neighborhood ( on my way to the track, us kids could do that in the 80s)..... omg it was loud, but sounded so good to me.... so that’s my point it may sound good to you but it annoys the hell out of everyone else
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post

LOL....I'm old and I like it loud...because other pwc riders & boaters hear my ski before they see it. It helps to prevent accidents. However, there are times when a little less noise would be welcomed. I'm gonna try this:

Vibrant stainless steel 3.5" in/out, 4.125" OD, 5" OAL

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    ... helps to prevent accidents. ...
    Unsubstantiated claim. Loud machines are just loud.

Safety is a statistical thing. I am unaware of any valid studies that support any claims that loud machines directly or even indirectly reduce collisions.

Especially if one includes potential collisions, near misses and misunderstandings among operators other than the loud one, people who may be startled or distracted by the noise and therefore not notice some other operator’s actions until it is too late.

While a loud machine is operating in the area, yes, it can be heard. At the same time, every other machine nearby cannot be heard if it is less loud. Drowning out the sound of everything else effectively makes all other machines silent, thereby forcing all operators to rely more completely on sight.

This extends to the loud machine. The loud operator also relies mostly on visuals since they cannot hear others. The blanket of sound forces everyone to ignore the audio and focus on visual scanning.

Loud machines effectively make everyone functionally deaf until the loud machine leaves the area or shuts off its engine.

Loud machines at close ranges mean passengers cannot speak to their drivers, one rider speaking to another rider cannot be heard, mobile phone conversations must pause (even those on shore or sitting at idle), and so on.

Loud exhausts seem to be entirely a preference of the owner/rider. For the majority of other people within earshot, the additional sound is an imposed condition, not something they prefer or choose.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Safety is a statistical thing. I am unaware of any valid studies that support any claims that loud machines directly or even indirectly reduce collisions.

Especially if one includes potential collisions, near misses and misunderstandings among operators other than the loud one, people who may be startled or distracted by the noise and therefore not notice some other operator’s actions until it is too late.

While a loud machine is operating in the area, yes, it can be heard. At the same time, every other machine nearby cannot be heard if it is less loud. Drowning out the sound of everything else effectively makes all other machines silent, thereby forcing all operators to rely more completely on sight.

This extends to the loud machine. The loud operator also relies mostly on visuals since they cannot hear others. The blanket of sound forces everyone to ignore the audio and focus on visual scanning.

Loud machines effectively make everyone functionally deaf until the loud machine leaves the area or shuts off its engine.

Loud machines at close ranges mean passengers cannot speak to their drivers, one rider speaking to another rider cannot be heard, mobile phone conversations must pause (even those on shore or sitting at idle), and so on.

Loud exhausts seem to be entirely a preference of the owner/rider. For the majority of other people within earshot, the additional sound is an imposed condition, not something they prefer or choose.
    Ride a bike across the 401, one with stock exhaust and one with straights. Alot less accidental lane change by cars on the bike with the pipes......just sayin'......

I suppose it's fairly common to expect exhaust noise on our lake, anything less than a 454 or 502 is normal lake noise... Never really paid attention.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Loud it is. And loud it will remain. But, with the addition of a race muffler, maybe not as loud.

The items you mention are subjective. Statistics are subjective as well. If the loudness keeps you away, awesome! That is exactly the intention! My ski will do better than 85 mph and at that speed and above, I want others to hear it. Keeps me safer. I do not have passengers ride on this ski unless a fellow jetskier or boater needs a tow. I also stay as far away from pleasure boaters and fisherman as I can as I do not wish to disturb their activities.

That said, on those long cruising rides the loud exhaust is bothersome, which is why I want to muffle the exhaust a bit.

+1

Gutted waterbox

The faster i go the least i can hear it. I have done 150 plus rides and exhaust dont bother me or those 15+ riders i ride with. K447 or whatever your screen name is, you take stuff to serious lol no need for a paragraph

11. +1 by:

+1
    Drowning in Noise
    Noise Costs of Jet Skis in America
    A Report for the Noise Pollution,
    Clearinghouse Strategies to Reduce Noise Costs. Three broad approaches have been suggested to reduce jet ski noise costs to beachgoers:
    develop quieter jet skis; require jet skis to operate further from shore; restrict jet ski usage to fewer bodies of water.

A Report for the Noise Pollution Clearinghouse
    by Charles Komanoff
    & Howard Shaw, Ph. D. APRIL 2000

Some people are always in denial, why I wonder. We can all see we have less and less areas to ride and more restrictions are seen each year. That's a fact on the water ways I can see, especially in the outer islands and inter waterways of Florida.

Examples of some of these areas in the USA
    San Francisco, California USA
    Under the law jet skis are banned within 1200 feet of the entire shoreline of San Francisco County ‎97 km (60 mi)
    The ordinance also includes a provision which allows citizens to file a private nuisance lawsuit if harassed by jet ski activity.

Southern Shores, NC USA
    A Request For More Effective Regulation of Jet Skis
    Southern Shores, NC
    In North Carolina establish a prohibition zone banning jet ski operations from Jean Guite Bay,
    To limit speeds beyond the 400 yard restricted zone, but within the Town's jurisdiction to speeds not exceeding 25 miles per hour.

Jurisdiction Bans and/or Buffer Zone Distances
    Maine (1990 Banned from 245 specified lakes, and from lakes of less than 200 acres
    Vermont (5/1/97) Banned from lakes of less than 300 acres
    Massachusetts Banned from lakes of less than 75 acres
    Lake Tahoe, CA Two-stroke engines prohibited beginning 6/1/99. 600 foot no wake zone
    Newport News, VA (1/26/93) Prohibited in named waters
    Walton Co., FL (7/14/97) Banned from coastal dune lakes; 750 foot buffer zone elsewhere
    Mendocino Co., CA (1991) Banned from coastal estuaries
    N.Y.C., NY (7/31/97) 1500 foot buffer zone on all shorelines
    Monroe Co., FL (1990 1200 foot buffer zone, specified Florida Keys
    San Francisco, CA (4/27/90 1200 foot buffer zone, including from shores of islands
    Malibu, CA (6/24/92) 300 yard buffer zone
    New Smyrna Beach, FL 600 feet from ocean shore
    Seattle, WA 8 mph maximum speed within 200 yards of Puget Sound shore
    On Fawn Lake in Virginia now has a max speed limit on the lake of 36 mph

Some people will think, noise pollution. it's the stupidest thing they have ever heard all day. Next you people will deny that OUR Earth is getting warmer, and our Earth is flat, where does it end?.....at they End? and only then.....

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed”
    Last edited by cjk6119; 12-24-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added

13. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Drowning in Noise
    Noise Costs of Jet Skis in America
    Strategies to Reduce Noise Costs. Three broad approaches have been suggested to reduce jet ski noise costs to beachgoers:
    develop quieter jet skis; require jet skis to operate further from shore; restrict jet ski usage to fewer bodies of water.

by Charles Komanoff
    & Howard Shaw, Ph. D. APRIL 2000
    Stupidest thing i read all day. Noise pollution. Gtfoh

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information