Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carbon seal failed on a friendís rpx 260. Sunk!

Guys, yesterday I went on the sea with a friend, me on my Rxt an he on his Rxp. After 15 m riding, suddenly he stopped. Guys I coudnít believe how fast the water came in. The time to attach a rope to tow him and the jet was practically sunk. Guys believe me, put a big bilge pump in your jet, a big pump, better 2. If carbon seal fails, you sunk in minutes, no way unless you are 50 meters from the shore!!!! When I towed, the jet didnít sunk just because towing, but when we arrived at the club, salt water was covering the engine! When we recovered out of the sea, you canít believe how fast water went out from the tunnel! Seems a river! Believe me! Think about! Change your carbon seal and put a big bilge pump!!!!

2. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_luke View Post
    Guys, yesterday I went on the sea with a friend, me on my Rxt an he on his Rxp. After 15 m riding, suddenly he stopped. Guys I coudn’t believe how fast the water came in. The time to attach a rope to tow him and the jet was practically sunk. Guys believe me, put a big bilge pump in your jet, a big pump, better 2. If carbon seal fails, you sunk in minutes, no way unless you are 50 meters from the shore!!!! When I towed, the jet didn’t sunk just because towing, but when we arrived at the club, salt water was covering the engine! When we recovered out of the sea, you can’t believe how fast water went out from the tunnel! Seems a river! Believe me! Think about! Change your carbon seal and put a big bilge pump!!!!

A lot of times its lack of maintenance. Having that engine aligned is really important. Most of them are not properly aligned from the factory..

The failure of the carbon seal is something that happens suddently or start by leaking slowly slowly and if you don’t pay attention you don’t notice till the water that coms in is higher than the pump of the engine is capable to suck out? At that point it’ too late....
    A couple of times I left the jet on the sea side, when I came back I found loo of water inside, I thought it was from the waves... when I ride Whithout stopping I dont found any water inside.

+1
    A carbon seal CAN fail without warning and can sink the ski. This design is what keeps Sea-Doo owners up at night. Before I go out in the ocean with mine I review in my mind what my response will be when it sinks.

The first mod I made was to install 2 bilge pumps. I'm often many miles from shore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro10is View Post
    The first mod I made was to install 2 bilge pumps. I'm often many miles from shore.
    HaHa! They won't help if the impeller shaft snaps in two and the impeller bores windows in the tunnel. Yes, I have bad luck. A VHF radio and towing insurance is what I settled on.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I don't believe the inline bilge pumps that mount to the siphon tube will keep up with water intrusion from a carbon seal failure from what i read.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1976 View Post
    I don't believe the inline bilge pumps that mount to the siphon tube will keep up with water intrusion from a carbon seal failure from what i read.
    The bilge scavenge suction system from the jet pump 'siphon' is not capable of flowing water out of the hull at a high rate.

Depending on the degree of carbon seal failure, there is no specific bilge pump flow rate that is 'enough'.

I would suggest a single 1000 gph bilge pump would be a minimum, and two would be better.

The more bilge pump capacity you have, the more time you have to fix the problem or at least get to somewhere less dangerous, before the hull floods so much that the engine cannot run.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3005842

I use the Whale SS1212 bilge pump (rated 1100gph) in my own non-Seadoo watercraft.

If you install a high flow rate bilge pump system and it never gets used while out on the water, in my opinion it would still be money well spent. A good bilge pump install is a mechanical insurance policy.

If it saves someone from floundering and potentially drowning at sea, the hassle and expense of everyone else's bilge pump installations are still worthwhile.

Last edited by K447; 12-18-2019 at 02:16 PM.

+1
    How are you mounting the bilge pump and are they running with the ignition all the time or with a float switch?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    A carbon seal CAN fail without warning and can sink the ski. This design is what keeps Sea-Doo owners up at night. Before I go out in the ocean with mine I review in my mind what my response will be when it sinks.

There are 2 solutions to this problem:

Buy a Yamaha

OR

www.easyrider.store/product/rs-4273-drive-shaft/

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information