Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long term Sea Doo ownership?

A problem with secondary specialty companies such as Sea Doo is if you hope to own it for a long time. They not only do not stock parts, even their many of their dealers really only sell Sea Doo but don't service them. I have an '07 Sea Doo and increasingly parts are not available and even if available many dealers outright say they don't work on Sea Doos that old. While mine is an '07, 99% of parts continued to be used thru the 2012 model - meaning 6 years old. But Sea Doos doesn't stock parts even if just 6 years old and many of their dealers won't work on it even if the part is available.

Sea Doo sells PWCs and boats. That is their only interests. After the sale you just have to cross your fingers that it doesn't break down and routine servicing parts somehow just never need to be serviced. Figure you Sea Doo is good for 400 hours max, then figure to throw it away or how to rig up ways to keep it running (and not sinking.

WORSE OF ALL, some of this concerns parts that are wear parts that must be replaced and are unique to Sea Doo.Simply, Sea Doos are short lifespan PWCs and boats because they are by a company that wants them all to be disposable/unrepairable. If you plan on owning your PWC past the warranty period, you may want to buy another brand because you might like it and want to keep it more than a few years.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DFWX22 View Post
    A problem with secondary specialty companies such as Sea Doo is if you hope to own it for a long time. They not only do not stock parts, even their many of their dealers really only sell Sea Doo but don't service them. I have an '07 Sea Doo and increasingly parts are not available and even if available many dealers outright say they don't work on Sea Doos that old. While mine is an '07, 99% of parts continued to be used thru the 2012 model - meaning 6 years old. But Sea Doos doesn't stock parts even if just 6 years old and many of their dealers won't work on it even if the part is available.

Sea Doo sells PWCs and boats. That is their only interests. After the sale you just have to cross your fingers that it doesn't break down and routine servicing parts somehow just never need to be serviced. Figure you Sea Doo is good for 400 hours max, then figure to throw it away or how to rig up ways to keep it running (and not sinking.

WORSE OF ALL, some of this concerns parts that are wear parts that must be replaced and are unique to Sea Doo.Simply, Sea Doos are short lifespan PWCs and boats because they are by a company that wants them all to be disposable/unrepairable. If you plan on owning your PWC past the warranty period, you may want to buy another brand because you might like it and want to keep it more than a few years.
    All pwcs are like this, that's why they are "toys". Purchased with our disposable income, I dont think many people purchase a pwc thinking I'm gonna own this for 30 years. How about you go into your local car dealership, doesnt matter the manufacturer and ask for parts for a 12 year old vehicle. Chances are they wont have many, due to supply and demand.

+1
    This is an interesting post-I have a '17 RXT with 275 hours and many repairs have been done to it. I always expect it to sink because of the driveline problems I've had. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that Yamaha or Kawasaki make any more durable machines. The real problem, as the original poster says, is finding repair facilities that can properly fix the units.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    This is an interesting post-I have a '17 RXT with 275 hours and many repairs have been done to it. I always expect it to sink because of the driveline problems I've had. Unfortunately I'm not convinced that Yamaha or Kawasaki make any more durable machines. The real problem, as the original poster says, is finding repair facilities that can properly fix the units.
    I took it that OP was complaining that Seadoo dealers do not stock a complete assortment of parts FOR A 12 YEAR OLD SKI. Maybe I misread

+1
    PWC's are sold in much smaller numbers compared to automobiles, so the manufacturers have less of an incentive to keep producing replacement parts.

After all, PWC's generally don't last that long...neglect, salt water, abuse, etc...unless they're meticulously maintained, they're disposable after about 10 years.

It's not just PWC's...Try going to your local Yamaha motorcycle dealer and get parts/repairs on a 15/20 year old bike.

I experienced that first hand...the Yamaha dealer refused to even do the labor on an older bike I had.

Toys are expensive. Spend some money and have fun. Life truly is short.

+1
    Welcome aboard, DFWX22!

Are you complaining that you can't GET the parts you need, or that your dealer doesn't keep everything in stock?

Specifically what parts are you looking for?

Aside from common wear parts such as spark plugs, carbon seals, wear rings, nuts & bolts, etc., I wouldn't expect a dealer to stock them. Engine parts, ignition & fuel system parts, etc. are usually pretty easy to find on the internet.

My mid-90's Seadoo skis are running just fine

In all seriousness though there is always a way to overcome the obstacle. These forums are great for getting experienced opinions on the best way to proceed.

+1
    I've never had a problem finding parts for the older skis. I dont lnow why you would go to the dealer for parts when you can buy them off the internet for much less and have them delivered to your door. Sounds like the OP doesn't have a clue what he's talking about...

10. +1 by:

I've decided that Sea Doos are POS s. I now have spent 6 hours trying to remove the steering wheel to replace the steering cable. Apparently, Sea Doo epoxies the steering wheel to the shaft. I've pulled so hard - after fabricating a steering wheel puller since none made fit. It is so glued or otherwise permanently attached that the force was so great it is ripping off the steering wheel plastic.

At this point, my only option is to use to cut off as much of the steering wheel as possible, then go at it with a dremel (having to buy one for that), hoping somehow I can cut of enough to replace basically everything - but figuring probably nothing is available. I'm gathering if the steering cable goes out on a Sea Doo you just have to throw it away.

Everything about this Sea Doo mechanically has been like that. Pulling or replacing a steering wheel is a 5 minute task. It has nothing to do with the age of the boat. It has to do with Sea Doo apparently wanting their boats to be throw aways - and quickly even for fairly routine servicing items.

I've had at least 25 boats and 4 PWCs. This Sea Doo is becoming the only one I think I'm coming to truly hate. I don't think it is because it is 12 years old. I've had boats from new to 60 years old. Last month I started on a 1960s boat. The steering wheel came of instantly - took maybe 2 minutes. Sea Doo clearly deliberately made it so the steer wheel - and therefore the steering cable is virtually non-replaceable.

It is so bad that when I have called area Sea Doo dealers to replace the carbon gasket - which Sea Doo recommends every 300 to 400 hours, that they ALL said that while they are Sea Doo dealers, they won't work on them.Is there ANY other manufacturer dealer - cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, PWCs - that refuse to do any repairs to what they sell new?

That they are toys is not a defense. There is NO defense to deliberately making their watercraft unable to be serviced even for servicing they recommend. Particularly when lack of servicing can cause them to sink and possible drown everyone on board or strand them at sea?

The bottomline? At best, in my opinion, a new Sea Doo is good for not more than 400 hours - and that is assuming nothing breaks before then. They appear to be designed and even assembled deliberately to make so they can not be serviced or even kept safe from sinking.

That's sad as generally the design seems superior as a concept. But to deliberately make their craft non-repairable is outrageous. I wish I hadn't spent 50 hours bringing it to better than new bling appearance. I'm over 60 and in my entire life I have never run across this before - and I've restored many cars and boats as old as 75 years old. NO other manufacturer made their vehicles and vessels deliberately unable to do the most simple and routine servicing.

I may spend the 5 to 10 more hours cutting apart the steering wheel and fabricating a cable to work - or I'll just junk it. My conscious won't all me to sell it and I never bother parting anything out. I do understand why I bought it a near give-away price, even though the prior sucker put in an new 260 hp Rotax, new pump, new impeller and a lot of other performance parts. I was chump #2. There won't be a third.

Sorry for my rant. I've just never come across this before from any other manufacturer. Are these made in China or something?

+1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information