Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I Just Being Paranoid?

So a couple of weeks ago my trusty old flip phone that I've had for 12 years decided to "give up the ghost" and I convinced myself that what I need is a "Smart Phone." Got some Android google phone that I am still not sure how to use. But anyway I phoned my friend and we stated talking about taking a vacation in Los Vegas. low and behold, within a couple of days I started getting emails and adds about vacations in Los Vegas! I never googled gambling or Los Vegas or anything of the sort. I've heard that google eves drops on phone conversations but chalked it up to nutty conspiracy theories. Now I'm not so sure. Am I being paranoid in thinking that google listens in or records phone conversations? Has anyone had a similar experience?

+1
    River,
    Its true there is info all over about this happening. Just like when you use your PC laptop or tablet things similar to what you are looking at pop up. yes its a fact.

+1
    Yeah it's 100% fact this is happening and been happening for quite a while now. Funny because just a couple/few weeks ago we were talking about this in the other thread and I even mentioned that maybe we should make a new thread to post about when this happens to us. lol

There's endless articles out there on this...and just think...back in 2010 when those of us who were discovering this and saying it was happening were called paranoid. Nothing new I guess. lol

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/w...s-not-paranoia

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanp.../#4f9f3a816a3f

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    goggle or any other company can not listen to your phone without a court order...... BUT apps with permission to your microphone can, such as Facebook so your not crazy just not looking in the right place disable all apps that have microphone access and camera access and maybe your contact list. Goggle is still tracking your every move so they are not off the hook for BAD behavior. when you get a smart phone you no longer have any privacy

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    ... Google is still tracking your every move ...

when you get a smart phone ...
    There are many layers of consumer surveillance technology. For actual mobile phone calls, your cellular carrier is monitoring every call. They know (because they are carrying the call) what number you called and how long you talked. The cellular call audio is not encrypted. So both cell companies can also 'hear' what is being said (if they wanted to).

Every phone carrier in between the two cell companies that is routing the call also has access to the call data and the audio. This is the same data that official/legal 'wiretaps' access.

Carriers also know where both cell phone are, since they know which cell towers are handling the call signal. In addition, the E911 system requires the cell phone to report to the carrier the GPS location of every mobile phone.

For the data, the mobile carrier can see all the unecryped data sent/received by every mobile phone. SMS message content and to/from numbers, DNS data, web page data, email content, etc.

So the mobile companies know a lot. And all this is without 'spying' apps on the actual smartphone.

For Android phones, the operating system is supplied by Google, which at its core is an advertising company. Google needs to know as much as possible about everyone, to better target ads and charge advertisers for the privilege.

Same deal for the Google supplied apps and services on the Android phone. Maps, SMS messaging, email (especially Gmail), Chrome Browser, and so on.

If you care at all about your own privacy, using Android devices may be a difficult choice.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrunner View Post
    ...I phoned my friend and we stated talking about taking a vacation in Los Vegas. low and behold, within a couple of days I started getting emails and adds about vacations in Los Vegas! I never googled gambling or Los Vegas or anything of the sort. ...Has anyone had a similar experience?
    I have never experienced this using my iPhone.

But I'm still using a 6-Plus so I can't speak for newer gen.

9. +1 by:

+1
    And it's not just smart phones this happens from.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I have never experienced this using my iPhone.

But I'm still using a 6-Plus so I can't speak for newer gen.
    The security aspects and settings are the same across all models of iPhone.

Broadly speaking, iPhone is substantially less leaky with personal data and cribbed info useful to advertisers and marketers.

Especially so if you make sure the iPhone privacy settings and preferences are maximized.

Note: if your iPhone really is a 6 (regular or Plus size, introduced in 2014) and not iPhone 6s (the one year less old 2015 model) then it is no longer eligible for the most current/updated iOS 13 version software.
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guid...he3fa5df43/ios
    Last edited by K447; 12-12-2019 at 10:49 PM.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The cellular call audio is not encrypted. So both cell companies can also 'hear' what is being said (if they wanted to). ...
    CDMA, LTE, VoLTE is encrypted over the air "RAN portion of the network"
    packet core also has encrypted but you can force audio if you need to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...nforcement_Act

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    ... packet core also has encrypted but you can force audio if you need to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun...nforcement_Act
    I was referring to the call audio data within the mobile carrier’s internal system, not the radio tower ‘over the air’ portion. Eventually (especially if the call is being delivered to a far end outside the mobile carrier) the call audio gets converted to basic digital audio format.

A user of a cellular network has to assume the cell phone company has access to all aspects of the call, including location of the mobile phone, the mobile number and the audio content. Especially if the far end of the call is being sent to or through some other telecom company.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information