Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A similar thing happened to me today. I live with my sister, who eats fresh blueberries with breakfast every day (I do not like them, am not interested in them, and would never eat them). Yesterday, I bought her a special container for blueberries. This morning, around the breakfast table, I asked how she liked the container. Her husband is hard of hearing, so I had to repeat "blueberries" again, loudly. Went back to work on my Mac two minutes later, and - boom - an ad for blueberries!! This is not a coincidence.

2. +1 by:

+1
    just wait until you are having face to face conversation and 10-15 mins later when you go to use your phone and get ads about what you just talked about face to face.

I have seen it happen a lot for many years.

one example is i was at lunch at work with coworkers and mentioned i really need to replace the screen my daughter broke on her iphone 18 months earlier. I did google screen replacement when she initially broke it but not since then. she used the thing for 18 months broken across the bottom but still usable. after my lunch break i open my phone and first thing i see on FB is ads for iphone screen repair.

I actual play around now when i start seeing ads that i don't want to see i will google etrailer and tries or brakelights and then i will see ads for that for weeks and weeks. id rather see that stuff than random odd crap. i can go to etrailer website and click a couple pages and instantly all my ads go to that item. LOL

they are listening to EVERYTHING.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Yes, it’s true, I’ve had some similar cases. I talked about something, and the day after the browser began to show me ads on those topics that I recently spoke with friends or colleagues about. I asked a friend of mine who works in online advertising about this, and yes, he told me that Google is really eavesdropping on conversations.

6. +1 by:

+1
    So the word "Dyson" has never even been spoken out of me or my wifes mouth that I know oh. Ever. This past weekend she's on the phone with a friend and her friend tells her about her Dyson Animal vaccum. I know this because after my wife got off the phone she told me all about it. lol. Anyways fast forward to just a few minutes ago...I get an email from Ebay with...you guessed it...an email for refurbed Dyson Animal vaccums.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    ... she's on the phone with a friend and her friend tells her about her Dyson Animal vacuum. ...

...I get an email from Ebay with...you guessed it...an email for refurbed Dyson Animal vaccums.
    Friend was already online researching the vacuum, possibly checking prices, etc. maybe even ordered it online.

The advertising networks (and social media platforms) probably know wife and friend are linked. And you are linked to one or both of them. So the ad network starts showing ads for a product that was sold to someone linked to you, to other people connected to the person who originally was looking for that brand/product.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Friend was already online researching the vacuum, possibly checking prices, etc. maybe even ordered it online.

The advertising networks (and social media platforms) probably know wife and friend are linked. And you are linked to one or both of them. So the ad network starts showing ads for a product that was sold to someone linked to you, to other people connected to the person who originally was looking for that brand/product.

Yep...and wife doesn't have an Ebay account but I do do...therefore I got the email. lol I know how it works...doesn't mean I have to like how it works.
    Last edited by Q in Arizona; 03-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    I know how it works, they are build data mining relationships like who you are married to. but the worst is this company
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/11/2...n-app-database
    here is a group of scumbags that just need to be stopped

they can give a name to any photo taken

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    ... to be stopped

they can give a name to any photo taken
    The technology to do this sort of thing is becoming more widely available. Whether one company or another, or even some countries limit or ban ID via face recognition, the general ability will be broadly availble to other companies and in many countries.

China has been using this to enforce individual quarantines and to backtrack who else an infected person was in contact with. And warn them to also quarantine and/or be tested.

I suspect governments may be seen as 'incompetent' if in the future they cannot say, when someone who is later diagnosed, where they went before, who they contacted. And then contact those other people directly. Even if they do not actually know the infected person, just happened to be near them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    when someone who is later diagnosed, where they went before, who they contacted.
    and "diagnosed" (deemed) a disident/enemy of the state works the same way. Knowing routines, locations, communications and whom communicated with allowing widescale data hoovering of whole nodes of the citizenry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q in Arizona View Post
    ... the state ... the citizenry.
    Quite the challenge then, hmmm?

To build and have 'the state' be something you trust to do the right thing, as a matter of course.

14. +1 by:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information