Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    +1
    Just added the inline checks and did nothing else. The overpressure bubbling the line was because the carb check valve was jammed up with crud. Probably contributed to killing the original top end.

+1
    Thanks for all the replies, got a lot of good information. Hopefully can get it sorted now.

+1
    Well I'm stumped now, spent some time in the garage tonight with the pop off gauge and apparently now all three check valves are holding 3.5psi before popping off. Seemingly working fine.
    Does anyone have any ideas what has caused the oil pressure to be high enough to pop the valve open and completely flood number two? Would be good if there was a simple answer before I drill the carbs and block the existing fittings which seem to be fully functional?
    I'm tempted just to put a single inline yam valve in number 2 oil line and be done with it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiriches View Post
    Well I'm stumped now, spent some time in the garage tonight with the pop off gauge and apparently now all three check valves are holding 3.5psi before popping off. Seemingly working fine.
    Does anyone have any ideas what has caused the oil pressure to be high enough to pop the valve open and completely flood number two? Would be good if there was a simple answer before I drill the carbs and block the existing fittings which seem to be fully functional?
    I'm tempted just to put a single inline yam valve in number 2 oil line and be done with it.

When you say completely flooded, do you mean the fuel chamber was full of oil when you disassembled the carb? Or was the carburetor throat full of a fuel/oil mix?

+1
    Yes sorry the fuel chamber, it was full to bursting with neat oil from the line and seemed to be a bit more in the reed cage than the other two as well. There's also quite a bit underneath the engine in the hull. I had the engine out last year for a rebuild and was dreading that I might have cracked a balancer case re-installing it when I found the oil but I think it's related to this issue.
    All oil lines are new, oil tank is 3/4 full.

+1
    Maybe you could place a mark on the oil tank to mark the oil level, then let it sit overnight with everything hooked up to see if your level drops. Oil in the fuel chamber is normal, especially for carb number 2. Carb 2 gets a higher volume of oil from the pump than 1 and 3 by design because cylinders 1 and 3 get extra oil from the balancer chambers.
    Is cylinder 2 getting flooded with oil or fuel after it sits for a while? If you disconnect all three spark plug wires, attach them to the grounding bracket, take out cylinder 2 spark plug, then crank the engine, does oil shoot out of the spark plug hole?

+1
    Do you store the 'Ski with the front of the trailer jacked up? Some people do that to allow water to drain out, but it also raises the oil tank higher than the carbs.

Oh the other hand, if you park it level, water will sit in the expansion chamber and corrode holes through it.

+1
    I stored the ski fairly level this time to be honest but definitely something to watch, hadn't thought of that!
    FL_Rider, I haven't had chance to check in the cylinders and cases yet. Long story but the motor is sitting unbolted ready to come out at the minute as I have a seperate prop/through hull alignment issue so can't really crank but I'll get on it and inspect as soon as it's out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information