Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK to spray CRC Corrosion Inhibitor on the impeller?

Hi people,
    I just coated all the metal on the underside of my waverunner with CRC. While I was at it, I sprayed the impeller. This seems to have affected its performance. It bogs down on heavy acceleration and does not seem to be going as fast as used to at the same throttle position, including top end. Possibly a coincidence or was it a really bad idea to do this?

Thinking maybe all that sticky stuff around those tight clearances and carefully balanced parts may be impacted.

Thanks!
    -Jeff-

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Which specific CRC product did you use?

CRC-56 thin spray or the CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray, which goes on as a thick slightly goopy yellowish coating?

Did you do anything inside the hull at or around the same time?

I am wondering if perhaps a spark plug or fuel injector is not connected properly, or something else has come loose.

It was CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion, the thick yellowish stuff. I did not spray inside the hull at all, just the metal undersides plus steering nozzle and impeller area.

+1
    You have got to get that stuff off your underside...it hurts performance. The impeller needs nothing, it is stainless and will not corrode.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cafemocha View Post
    It was CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion, the thick yellowish stuff.

I did not spray inside the hull at all, just the metal undersides plus steering nozzle and impeller area.

I did apply some CRC heavy duty Corrosion spray to my GP1800, but not in the internal jet pump areas where the water flows. Above the ride plate and around the jet pump body exterior. A moderately thin coat.

If you applied the CRC spray coating too thickly it may have drooled and pooled inside the jet pump, affecting water flow and blade clearances. It can be removed with appropriate solvent and rubbing with a cloth.

After salt water riding when the hull is back on the trailer the normal method is to spray plenty of garden hose fresh water into and around the jet pump areas. That should be enough to limit corrosion.

Inside the engine compartment I have a moderate layer of the heavy duty CRC spray on the (already clean and dry) engine exterior, motor mounts, and other metal surfaces. It ‘dries’ rather tacky at first and then slowly becomes less sticky over time.

Thank you, K447! I will do some cleanup with solvent asap, then put it back in the (salt)water this weekend to see if that solved it.

+1
    Even though you did not spray corrosion product inside the engine area, it can still be worthwhile to inspect around the engine.

Remove the ignition coils and verify the spark plugs are correctly tight in the engine. If there are enough running hours on the spark plugs (50 hours or more) consider just installing new spark plugs. Not expensive or hard to do, and then you will know the spark plugs are good.

Check Ignition coil and fuel injector electrical connectors.

Check every electrical connector to verify they are fully snapped together - there are a lot of them around the top, rear, front and right hand sides of the engine.

Look for hose clamps that might not be properly tightened, especially for the supercharger and intercooler connections.

There is a J shaped rubber 'hose' (only on supercharged engines) that connects from the intercooler to the engine throttle body. That J hose is hard to inspect, buried down low on the right side of the engine. I have posted photos in an older thread showing the J hose and throttle body hose clamp.

Sometimes the hose clamp is just loose enough that the J hose slips part way off the throttle body and allows air under boost pressure to escape. That reduces engine power, yet at lower throttle levels the engine is/seems normal.

Last edited by K447; 12-10-2019 at 11:38 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cafemocha View Post
    Hi people,
    I just coated all the metal on the underside of my waverunner with CRC. While I was at it, I sprayed the impeller. This seems to have affected its performance. It bogs down on heavy acceleration and does not seem to be going as fast as used to at the same throttle position, including top end. Possibly a coincidence or was it a really bad idea to do this?

Thinking maybe all that sticky stuff around those tight clearances and carefully balanced parts may be impacted.

Thanks!
    -Jeff-
    Jeff As soon as you make the first rip what ever protectant that has piled up in your pump will be blown out. there is a tremendous amount of pressure in there when riding. If you are having issues of top speed you need to look in the direction of a damaged impeller/wear ring, boost leak or air intake/spark plug issue or fuel. Id start by verifying the pipe to the throttle body is on good and tight if it's an svho and pull your plugs. Check them/and replace them yearly. I run 100 hours a year and replace them yearly. you should be able to get a look in on the rear of the pump to check the wear ring clearance with a flash light and check from the front of the intake grate to make sure there aren't any large dings to the leading edge of the blade.

9. +1 by:

+1
    I also believe the CRC will not cause the problems stated. I agree with the Saum700P. Your problem lies elsewhere.

11. +1 by:

+1
    + 1 ^ Agree with Saum700p & ncdoo. Look somewheres else for your problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information