Best way to check REAL hours on 2007 VTX1000

I'm looking at buying a '07 Yamaha VTX1100. The owner says it has 83 hours, which seems pretty low for a 12-year old ski. I understand that if the dash gauges are changed, the hours will reset back to zero. Is there a way to check the actual hours?

+1
    In a nutshell, the gauges simply report the run hours from the ECU/ECM. You can attached a YDS system to the ski's harness to poll the ECU data for more details via a laptop computer, but in the end, the only fact you can derive is that 83 is the hours on the ECU.
    Run hours on the ski, the engine, the pump.... a ski that old might have a complex mechanical history, parts swap, engine swap, etc... OR simply bought, barely ridden or broke down shortly thereafter and forgotten in storage - it's not that uncommon.

Related thread :
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283341

+1
    83 hours on a 12 year old ski? Not unusual at all, really.

Most people ride them the most during the first year. Say they ride 40 hours the first year, the second year the 'new' has faded and they just don't take it out as often. The third year, life gets in the way; financial problems, busy at work, new baby, divorce, buy a house, etc. Fourth year maybe it doesn't want to start--take it to the dealer for a new battery, fuel system cleaning, etc. Eventually the kids don't want to spend time with mom & dad, it doesn't get used at all for several years, and it finally gets put up for sale.

The seller thinks it should bring top dollar because of 'low' hours when it's actually about average. The fuel is probably 4-5 years old and has gummed up the tank and fuel system, the battery is dead, the liner in the jet pump has corroded and requires replacement, the seat and hand grips start to show their age, perhaps the display has turned black from heat or gotten moisture in it, maybe bugs and other critters have made it their home.

Hours don't matter as much as when it was last ridden. How well has it been maintained? Plan to spend good money to get it running again. Remember, just because it runs on the trailer that doesn't mean that it will run in the water!

+1
    Very location dependent...my ski is an 08 and 240 hours most consider that high for the uk......plenty of similar age machine around 100 hours, however regular use doesn’t wear them out often neglect does more damage, are you really going to follow the 12month oil change routine if used 2 hours last yet??? Or skip a year every now and then.....

+1
    Oh, and I forgot to add in my last post-up . . . "VTX" ?? Miss-type?
    So in 07, the models offered --> VX Deluxe, VX Cruiser, VX Sport, and the plain 'ol VX.

2-stroke : 250+ hrs would be considered high-hours.
    4-stroke : 2,000+ hrs would be considered high-hours. Four strokes undergo considerably less engine component wear damage than 2-strokes.
    At 83 hours (if that means the entire ski is an original 83) is indeed very low considering how many potential hour one could get out of a 4 stroke. YET, time will be a larger factor here ... as soft components/rubber, o-rings deteriorate, unseen internal aluminum parts oxidize inside that long exhaust system, jet pump wear rings blister - list goes on...

Additional opinions: VX's use the MR1 engine. Pretty solid platform and very reliable if taken care of and oil kept exactly right level. Widely preferred in the rental business of that time. I won't say the same for the higher horse powered HO MR1 (commonly on FX models of that time) which were likely pushed too hard on design limits of that engine.

Thread Information