+1

crankcase pressure

how much pressure should your engine be able to hold?

+1
    A 4 stroke crankcase isn't really completely sealed and holding pressure like a 2 stroke case. Everywhere oil goes would need blocked off...valve cover, tip over switch, dipstick tube, output shaft, etc.

What are you trying to do?

+1
    number 1 problem was valve cover gasket was leaking on the exhaust manifold. I was trying to verify that it was indeed the valve cover gasket. So I blocked off my tops valve at the catch tank with a radiator test kit with the small pump I couldn't find the leak or build any pressure. So I kept the pump with the pressure gauge hooked to the tops valve. Then I took off the oil fill. Used another plug out of the test kit with a air hose fitting attached. Regulated down to a small flow, turned it up until I felt air coming around the valve cover. The gauge never got over 1 psi. The dip stick never blew out or leaked.

The route of my problem...I vented my catch tank to the outside of the ski by way of a gas tank vent which had a safety device if it flipped over it would shut off. So I believe that it was restricting the flow of gases to the point of leaking around the valve cover gasket. Before I put everything back together I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks a lot for any thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    A 4 stroke crankcase isn't really completely sealed and holding pressure like a 2 stroke case. Everywhere oil goes would need blocked off...valve cover, tip over switch, dipstick tube, output shaft, etc.

What are you trying to do?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rtarford View Post
    number 1 problem was valve cover gasket was leaking on the exhaust manifold. I was trying to verify that it was indeed the valve cover gasket. So I blocked off my tops valve at the catch tank with a radiator test kit with the small pump I couldn't find the leak or build any pressure. So I kept the pump with the pressure gauge hooked to the tops valve. Then I took off the oil fill. Used another plug out of the test kit with a air hose fitting attached. Regulated down to a small flow, turned it up until I felt air coming around the valve cover. The gauge never got over 1 psi. The dip stick never blew out or leaked.

The route of my problem...I vented my catch tank to the outside of the ski by way of a gas tank vent which had a safety device if it flipped over it would shut off. So I believe that it was restricting the flow of gases to the point of leaking around the valve cover gasket. Before I put everything back together I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks a lot for any thoughts
    Make sure the valve isn't sticking closed depending on the year of the ski if it has the older style with the electric valve pull on the cables I had a similar issue years ago and on of the wires was on by two stands never set a code but would pressurize the motor till it leaked by the valve cover if its the newer style remove it and shake it should open and close if not its stuck clean it and ride out

Gas tank vent is hole is no where near big enough if thats what you used.........

+1
    3/4 inch how much bigger does it need to be ?
    Quote Originally Posted by scantone View Post
    Gas tank vent is hole is no where near big enough if thats what you used.........

Damn never seen a gas tank vent that big, if its 3/4 id say your fine on that end.

+1
    I routed my breather out of a through hull on mine, mine is below water line, see to be working good for me, your hose is plenty big enough.

Thread Information