Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First Ski Purchase: GTI vs.GTX

Hi, all! I've been reading here for a while but decided to register and ask for help.

I'm ordering a 2020 ski at the March boat show from DaSilva's in Moultonborough, NH. (They've been great with a bunch of my friends and are five minutes away from camp.)

Until a few minutes ago, I was pretty much set on a GTI SE 170 w/audio, but then I saw a photo of the screen storage on the GTX models and am now wondering if that (GTX 170) would be a better option. I'm 5'6" with T-Rex arms, soooo I'm fairly confident I wouldn't be able to access the front storage on the GTI while aboard, which (I think) makes it mostly useless.

Thoughts? I'm also open to Yamaha, but *I think* I like the Sea-Doo features enough to give up a little reliability (from what I've read).

Thanks!

+1
    See if you can sit on each one. Look at how comfortable you are on each. I like the extra features on the GTX models. GTX, bigger gas tank, linq system on back for extra storage, direct access to front storage is really great, extra operating functions. If you like the GTI you will love the GTX. I wouldn't worry at all about reliability but on any ski get the longest warranty you can...

+1
    IMO...Pros and Cons:

GTI Pros:

1. More standard storage capability.

I carry 2 tow ropes, dry bag with safety equipment and tools, collapsible paddle and a 12 can cooler, so that storage comes in handy. I doubt the front storage on the GTX could hold all that.

You voiced concern over storage accessibility, but most times, you'll be beached or anchored somewhere when accessing the storage. If on the water, you can easily reach it by standing up. I don't find it a problem.

2. Cheaper

3. More "playful" hull.

Cons:

1. Less fuel capacity.

2. Polytech hull

3. Rougher ride in choppy water.

GTX Pros:

1. Front storage = easier access while on the water.

2. ST3 Hull. Will ride smoother in choppy water.

3. Bigger display

4. More gas capacity

Cons:

1. Less standard storage.

You could purchase the LinQ Box for extra storage.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Linq system is on gti too!

+1
    This is a tough call. Both are going to be great. Of course the GTX is bigger, therefore more space on deck and better ride, but ultimately, you won’t notice that much of a difference between them.

my choice is GTI because "playful" hull

GTX(ST3) -
    better for more power (230-300)

Quote Originally Posted by ProZadoX View Post
    This is a tough call. Both are going to be great. Of course the GTX is bigger, therefore more space on deck and better ride, but ultimately, you won’t notice that much of a difference between them.
    Since I'm going to be using this mostly (I think) as a way to explore the lake we're on, I'm thinking the size may be nice to have.

Sea Doo doesn't make comparisons easy, but people have mentioned the GTX having more features--can anyone summarize them simply? The new GTI will have Linq, but not direct access.

+1
    GTX 170 extras:

Modular seat
    Ergolock seat design
    "Direct access" storage
    Tilt steering
    More fuel capacity
    Bigger platform on the rear if the modular seat is removed
    Better handling/smoother riding hull
    Bigger display with more functions such as Fuel Autonomy Distance and Time to empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post
    GTX 170 extras:

Modular seat
    Ergolock seat design
    "Direct access" storage
    Tilt steering
    More fuel capacity
    Bigger platform on the rear if the modular seat is removed
    Better handling/smoother riding hull
    Bigger display with more functions such as Fuel Autonomy Distance and Time to empty.
    Awesome, thanks! So, it sounds like the GTX would be a better machine for the person looking to "tour" and hang out for periods of time, whereas the GTI would be a better machine for playing around.

I'll have to sit on both at the boat show, but, if the GTI is anything like the Yamaha I drove (and couldn't reach the storage), I will end up with the GTX. It really seems like it's storage capacity, hull type, and $ are the differences.

ONE OTHER QUESTION: would y'all kindly post a list of accessories (other than trailer, cover) that I might want/carry on board? If there are specific recommendations (anchor, etc.), feel free to post.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
    ONE OTHER QUESTION: would y'all kindly post a list of accessories (other than trailer, cover) that I might want/carry on board? If there are specific recommendations (anchor, etc.), feel free to post.
    https://www.jetdrift.com/jet-ski-safety-equipment/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information