Polaris SLH 700 NO START(NOW SOLVED)

I have recently bought a SLH 700 (Around about year 2000) the guy said it has been sitting for a while, iv put a small amount of petrol/gas in the tank (it was empty). I was getting a small spark on both plugs but now nothing when i put the battery in it was about 11v but it was cranking over ok is there any common problem with them to look into before i start stripping in down.
    Last edited by JordanRoy; 01-01-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Click here, lots of useful info.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

These red engines need a REALLY strong battery. A weak battery will not provide proper spark. A weak spark is the same as no spark. Engine will not run without strong spark, which requires strong battery.

Thankyou for the info i got a second battery that's been on charged all day, last time i checked it was 11.9 so hopefully it should be enough come tomorrow see how that goes.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanRoy View Post
    ... last time i checked it was 11.9 so hopefully it should be enough come tomorrow see how that goes.
    11.9 volts is a discharged battery *

12.5 volts or higher (after sitting for 24 hours, post charging) indicates a well charged battery.

The most important thing is the battery voltage while the engine is actually cranking. That cranking voltage MUST stay ABOVE 10.6 volts, while cranking.

If the voltage sags below 10.6 then the CDI ignition system will not provide proper spark.

* Tip: If the battery is internally aged or degraded, 'fully charging' the battery means nothing. A fully charged weak battery is a weak battery. Not good enough.

Anyone got any other ideas? I am getting a spark but a week one i have a multimeter on the battery while cranking and it not dropping more than about 11v.

For anyone reading this i solved my no spark/start issue. After hearing that you need to press the bilge pump button to test the trim i gave it a try and the trim worked i then thought to try pressing the bilge pump while starting then boom it started sparking great(i can only assume there is a switch so that the ski knows it is in water and the bilge button by passes that). Unfortunately it would only run on the fuel we were putting in the carbs so i looked into the fuel system from there i noticed the fuel/water separator bowl was loose letting in air. So after cleaning it and filling it with fuel that was all working fine but when i went to start it again there was no spark again. Assuming that in the process of moving the electrical box around we had moved a wire or plug so there was no longer a signal so we split a Gray 8 pin plug going into the elec box to find one of the pins were corroded so i got rid of the plug and soldered it all together and boom she now runs like a dream.

7. +1 by:

zxa

Thread Information