Cylinder sleeve removal?

For some reason, none of the shops around tampa bay wants to bore out my block and SBT wants my block plus $700 to exchange for theirs, too much for me. I see the the block is sleeved and new sleeve is only around $100 each on ebay. I only need one. That may be a more feasible. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove old sleeve? I'm concerned of cracking the block by pounding on it and making worse. Can an inclined person do this at home?

+1
    A machine shop can heat the cylinder assembly. It takes about 450-500 degrees to get the aluminum to expand enough. I've never replaced one, but I have seen threads on here where members have heated it in a gas grill. If you do that...it will take about an hour to get it up to temp. You'll still be in the same boat though, the sleeves come unbored and have to be bored to size once installed. There are shops that you can send it to....just inquire on the forum.

Thanks for that info. I thought they came just like specs and ready to install.

+1
    Wade Chapin down here in Sarasota will do your bore and hone for you. It may take him a little while to get it done (he's usually busy as cr@p!)

+1
    Yep, I've dropped out sleeves before on Seadoo and Yamaha. As stated about 400-450 in the barbeque grill for 30-45 minutes. You need a stand and a couple wood blocks handy to lay the cylinder on. Also need a tool of some sort and hammer to tap the sleeve out. Sometimes they literally will fall out, sometimes require tapping. You need to do it fast cause the aluminum cools down quickly. If the sleeve gets tight before it's out stick it back in the grill. NEW sleeves need bored. Used sleeves can be had though!! Buy a "core" cylinder that still has a good hole! Pop that out, freeze it, heat the cylinder, put that one in, then clamp someting over the top of it. As everything cools the sleeve will try to rise a wee bit.

Just bought the 1999 gp1200 block non-power-valve. From my research, it is the same as my 2002 suv1200 65u non-power-valve but I would like to confirm it with you guys.

+1
    Yes. All non pv 1200's are the same. Suv uses the 65u just like 97-99 GP1200.

+1
    Doesnt the top of the cyl have to be decked ???

+1
    When I've done it they were so close that just a wee bit with a flat bastard file was all that was needed. You gotta clamp it after the sleeve goes in though. They do tend to try and rise up.

Thread Information