Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Gtx 4 tec thrust washer

Hi everyone. I just completed tearing down my 02 gtx 4tec due to low oil pressure. I found the oil pressure regulator was crushed and oil pump covers have minor damage. I pulled the lower case off and noticed the thrust washer was worn which also wore some nice grooves in the crank. While taking driveshaft out to remove engine I noticed that the rubber bumper on the end of the driveshaft was deteriorated pretty badly and that the plastic insert in the pto output sleeve is also damaged

my question now is what would have caused this? Do you think it could have happened due to low oil pressure or due to driveshaft rubber bumper falling apart and driveshaft hitting crank? Could bad pump bearings cause thrust washer failure?

another question is the lower case cover has some gouges where the crankshaft rubbed on it in line where the thrust washer is on the upper case. Otherwise the lower case is in good shape. If I put new crank, bearings and thrusts those gouges would not affect anything right?

Thanks

+1
    Sounds like engine was misaligned thus too far backwards.

That’s what I was thinking too. I read the service manual and there’s not specs for how far forward or back the engine should be. Any pointers?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mpirpre View Post
    Thatís what I was thinking too. I read the service manual and thereís not specs for how far forward or back the engine should be. Any pointers?
    Is mentioned in manual but you need the alignment tool do it.

Would anyone know if my lower case would still be useable with scratches?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mpirpre View Post
    Would anyone know if my lower case would still be useable with scratches?
    did it spin the thrust bearing? Trash it if it did, otherwise replace the bearings and probably the crank.

No it didn’t spin the bearing. Just wore some grooves in the crank and lower case

Sea Doo had a big problem in 2002 with cranks breaking. They made some changes for 2003. Throw away your scored crank as a precaution since you have it apart.

Yeah that’s my plan. Found some used ones. What year of crank would be the best to get?

do you guys recommend going with seadoo main bearings or are aftermarket SBT just as good?

I know the rod bolts need to be replaced, do the lower case bolts need to get replaced also?

Should I go with seadoo flywheel bolts or aftermarket?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information