Adding Wireless charger to glovebox - Thoughts?

So I was thinking about adding a wireless charger to the glovebox of my 19' GTX and wanted to see if anyone has done this and if there are any cons by doing so.

There is enough room underneath the box on the backside to mount the wireless antenna but im wondering if the plastic is to thick for the signal to hit the phone. I guess this can be tested by holding a wireless antenna up to that area to see if the phone picks it up.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Qi charging?

I suppose it depends on what the total thickness would be, glovebox plastic + case thickness on the smartphone.

Qi generally requires the phone to be centered in a fairly tight zone above/on the Qi charger pad, outside that zone charging may be weak or none.

Personally I don't want my phone to be able to bounce and jolt around in the glovebox (especially going over rough water at speed), so I slide it into the glovebox vertically (next to other things) and hopefully limiting how much it moves around.

The Qi charger would presumably need a 12 volt to USB charge adapter, and that should be connected to a 12 volt power source that shuts down when the engine is stopped.

12 volt USB chargers typically draw parasitic power all the time, which could draw down the battery if left powered for a long time when not riding.

Yes, A Qi charger. I was thinking that you can wedge the phone in between the foam pad and the back of the box to keep it snug against the wall for the antenna to connect. It will be connected to the ignition so it doesnt stay on.

+1
    Qi charging is a convenience. You also have the normal plug which would be able to be used if say a fellow rider were in need of charging their device.
    The thickness of a case can make or break the use of Qi, now if you add the plastic thickness, you might only get it to work without a case. I wouldn't want my naked phone in the glovebox.
    Here is a Qi charger pad that could be mounted inside the glovebox as it's enclosed. https://www.scosche.com/wireless-charging-mat-mqusm

Good luck with your project.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    turn your phone off and enjoy the day

6. +1 by:

+1
    Also every wave would disconnect the phone. Do you use it for music or something because a fullcharge should last all day anyway and why would you need a charger.

8. +1 by:

mainly music as i was trying to just customize the ski differently instead of the usb charging socket.

+1
    Why not just use the new Seadoo USB port charger?

Over priced IMO and was looking for another alternative as i can buy a $10 USB charging socket and wire it in and save $100.

Thread Information