Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shop Cart - Need Recommendations

I am looking to see if anyone has specs on building a wooden cart for my ski so it can store it in my garage without the trailer taking up space? I went to a local West Marine store and saw they had a lot of aqua carts and got the manager to agree to sell me one of the display models that were being used for kayaks but i held off for now.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have four Aquacart AQ-19 model, at least five years in use. Overall they are reasonable.

Powder coated steel but they will eventually rust if used outside in rain or high dampness areas. In a garage and dry areas they should last a long time.

The AQ-19 is not hugely resistant to flexing/bending/twisting if the wheels are pushed into a floor ridge with a heavy PWC on the cart. My garage used to have a lip where the garage floor met the driveway. That lip was tall enough to cause the cart to stop suddenly when being pushed up over the ridge. A harder push would get it up over the rise but eventually I noticed that the cart was flexing out of square. I straightened the cart, retightened the bolts and fixed the driveway height to match the garage floor exactly. The carts are no longer as easy to move around now as the frame is no longer perfectly vertical to the floor, which affects the caster swivel motion.

I ordered the six inch casters to minimize the tendancy of the hard wheels to stumble on small stones/debris or ridges on the concrete floor.

The wheel locks on the Aquacart casters are modestly effective. They barely hold the cart in place on my slightly inclined driveway. I put a 1x2 or 2x4 board against the downhill side of the wheels when I need to ensure the cart does not start rolling on its own.

I am considering replacing my AQ-19 carts with the aluminum carts made by Triton, the trailer company. To align with my my WC2-2 trailer which has rather high bunks I would order the Triton cart with the optional tall bunk brackets (same brackets used on my double trailer) and also install fairly large caster wheels.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I think he was asking about the specs on building a wooden cart. Do a search on the web. Here's a good vid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRLZdEBae4

How are you guys transferring the ski to the cart? Muscle, or a hoist of some sort? New to the forum.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixnfly View Post
    How are you guys transferring the ski to the cart? Muscle, or a hoist of some sort? New to the forum.
    Link to similar thread

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283518

NCDOO - i saw that one which is badass but my wood skills are that good . lol

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    I think he was asking about the specs on building a wooden cart. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1976 View Post
    ... I went to a local West Marine store and saw they had a lot of aqua carts and got the manager to agree to sell me one of the display models that were being used for kayaks but i held off for now.
    Aquacart does seem to be under consideration.

+1
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=282648

Not a wooden design, but a superior steel product by steve45!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

If that link doesnt work go to the shop tools and tricks section. Do a search for "bomb proof stands". Some good info in there and really the best bang for the buck IMO

+1
    With the new ST3 hulls, it might be wise to consider how much lower the hulls go as to not hit the bottom metal frames. I had to lift my pwc bunks on my trailer to compensate the lower hull on my Rxtx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information