ptfe teflon carbon seal

so a guy on fb from china supposedly developed some carbon seals that are made of teflon instead of carbon, any thoughts? good bad neutral ideas?

in b4 "seadoo engineers knew what they were doing don't change anything they did" comments. the ski's that have sunk determined THAT was a lie.

he also has ibr motor upgrades and a couple other things, can't tell if it is a scam or just a strange Chinese dude from no where making seadoo parts that loves seadoos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrxkyle View Post
    so a guy on fb from china supposedly developed some carbon seals that are made of teflon instead of carbon, any thoughts? good bad neutral ideas?

in b4 "seadoo engineers knew what they were doing don't change anything they did" comments. the ski's that have sunk determined THAT was a lie.

he also has ibr motor upgrades and a couple other things, can't tell if it is a scam or just a strange Chinese dude from no where making seadoo parts that loves seadoos.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1
    I saw the same dude on Facebook. I guess it all depends on how much heat they can withstand, When out of water , running on the hose.
    I Would need to see some test results posted ,before I would consider them.
    At least it would stop them from cracking, and spraying dust all in the hulls.

+1
    SeaDoo enginners didn't "Lie" The carbon seal design is good for hundreds of hours if the engine and driveline are properly aligned and motor mounts are not broken.
    No mater if the seal were made of "Unobtainum" it would still leak and fail if the ski is not set up right.
    I have changed many 200+ hrs rings that owners wanted changed that were almost as new. I have changed 20 hr ones that are shot and found either overheaded on hose or terrible alignment. Sad part is, a quick look at the seal can see 90% of the alignement issue ones, its just not tracking centered and true with the shaft and the hat is square to the ring and not off alignment die to not being on the clip correctly (all installation and adjustment issues)

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    I have changed many 200+ hrs rings that owners wanted changed that were almost as new. I have changed 20 hr ones that are shot and found either overheaded on hose or terrible alignment.
    340 hours on my original carbon seal.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I'm of the opinion that the biggest problem with the carbon seal is not the seal at all, it's the fact we only have three engine mounts. With three engine mounts when one fails the engine can't stay aligned, with four engine mounts when one fails the engine is still aligned on three but as a added benefit starts knocking so it also alerts you to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    SeaDoo enginners didn't "Lie" The carbon seal design is good for hundreds of hours if the engine and driveline are properly aligned and motor mounts are not broken.
    No mater if the seal were made of "Unobtainum" it would still leak and fail if the ski is not set up right.
    I have changed many 200+ hrs rings that owners wanted changed that were almost as new. I have changed 20 hr ones that are shot and found either overheaded on hose or terrible alignment. Sad part is, a quick look at the seal can see 90% of the alignement issue ones, its just not tracking centered and true with the shaft and the hat is square to the ring and not off alignment die to not being on the clip correctly (all installation and adjustment issues)
    wasn't saying that the engineers were lying, but that the notion a bunch of people have that the seadoo engineers are so smart and don't mess with what they made what are you thinking etc etc etc. there were a lot of smart people at nasa but challenger still blew up- just saying that instead of accepting their solution there might be a better more reliable one.

there's lots of teflon composites as well out there, carbon and even steel reinforced. and maybe there's other materials out there even better suited to the task than a hunk of graphite.

ibr and carbon seal issues and leaking intercoolers seem to be the 3 big sore spots with seadoos. we have better intercoolers from fizzle, ibr is still a pain point for many, but why not an aftermarket upgraded carbon ring? from someone that almost sunk a rxtx due to carbon ring it would be a lot of peace of mind to have a better option

+1
    Your missing the point, those that sank or almost sank due to the carbon ring, did not sink because there is anything wrong with the design. They sank because things were not installed correctly. There is nothing wrong with the design so changing the design will net nothing if its still installed incorrectly.
    Carbons seals flat out are not a sore spot if the machine is aligned and used correctly.

I'll bite. I think there's more to the carbon seal failures than people realize. I almost sunk my 2017, and this is my take. It is no doubt a poor design, because when there are drive line issues, you have a good chance of taking on water, lots of it, quickly. I theorize that on mine, the seals on the pump were bad from day 1. Because I find it hard to believe a ski with 60ish hours used in mostly freshwater would have pump issues if not. The bearing in the pump wore, causing the impeller to push on the driveshaft, instead of the pump, to propel the boat forward. Well guess what, when it pushes on the driveshaft, the driveshaft shifts forward a bit, and the seal leaks very bad, enough to fill the hull halfway in about 2 minutes. Had I not felt it feeling heavy and beached it, it would went down. Fixed the pump and no more leaks, still with the same carbon seal. There has to be others out there with the same problem that never know because it sinks and never gets diagnosed beyond "the carbon seal let water in" because it gets totalled out and not repaired. My 2 cents...

Thread Information