New to me Polaris Hurricane 700 won't start

Hello guys-

Will likely use you guys as a resource as I just picked up a 96 Hurricane 700 and an 02 3 seater 700 (not sure of the model). Both skis were $1000 including a EZ Loader trailer. Neither jet ski runs but both were registered and ran within 2 years. The motors are intact and have compression on both.

Working on the hurricane first.

Couple questions to get started.

1. The dash came on for a minute but I'm not sure how/why. What causes it to turn on? The jet ski has not started.

2. The start button does not activate the starter...is there a known weak point in the starter button circuit?

3. I have the jet ski turning over by hooking up a jump box to the positive terminal and jumping the starter solenoid. The motor turns over fine but does not start. It will sputter RIGHT after you jump it. After that initial sputter it just turns over and over (no more sputter which give you hope it will run). Let go and jump the solenoid again and it sputter again.
    I tried dumping to 2 stroke directly into one of the carbs to see if that would give it something to run off and it didn't seem to change things. There WAS fuel in the separator. I dumped it out. The separator has NOT filled back up with fuel. I put a new fuel filter on it and CANNOT see fuel in the line. Obviously that makes fuel the likely cause of not starting. How does this push the fuel? I see a crankcase line. That line seems to go to the carb....that confuses me. What causes the tank to pressurize and push fuel into the carbs? Is there a way to bypass the whole system to check if that is the problem?

I will start with those questions

I know engines pretty well but come more from a 4 stroke motorcycle world. These will be a fun project.

Thank you,
    Rob

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Click here, start reading.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Do not use a booster jump pack. Install a proper battery (Deka ETX16 is recommended). It is possible to damage the watercraft electronics with voltage surges from boosting.

The Polaris red engine ignition system requires a strong battery while cranking. Otherwise the voltage sag will prevent the CDI from properly firing the ignition.

The original Gen I ignition system in the pre-2000 red engines are known to fail (typically the stator would fail). Polaris sold an ignition update kit which converts them to Gen III, same as 2000 onwards red carb engines. You should check whether the Hurricane has the original or the updated ignition.

Also make sure the correct spark plugs are installed.

+1
    These carbs more or less use suction to pull fuel into the carbs. If the fuel water separator is not filling up, there's either an air leak somewhere or you're not pulling fuel because the carbs aren't working right.

The line running from the crank to the carb is the pulse line and it uses the air pressure change from the crank moving around to push a diagram which works to power a diagram pump to suction fuel into the carbs.

The display should come on and stay on after you press start, until it loses power. It should always display a clock on it and be visible if it has power.

+1
    had a 2002 polaris, same issue, check accelerator pump diaphragm, they go for a crap and wont pull fuel, also make sure your tether switch is connected as well as the on /off switch under front hatch, and if it has the old style grey fuel lines they are notorious for getting filled up with green slime as the line breaks down,

+1
    As K447 stated- start with a strong/new battery. A bad battery will draw down a jumper.

Start with the basics. Is there a tether under the stop switch ?
    Is the fuel switch turned to reserve ? The Hurricane had the switch just forward of the right footwell.In the On position it will only draw the top 2/3 of fuel. Then therefore should be 2 fuel filters.
    Post a picture of the engine- a lot of Hurricane were modified.

Well i have good news. I bought both a 2002 virage 700 and the hurricane with a very nice ez loader trailer for $1000. Neither jet ski ran but both seem to have the motors in tact and should run.

I worked on the Virage last night. It turns over exactly like it should but at first would not start. After quite a bit of cranking I got it to start firing on one cylinder. Once I got it to rev up a little it picked up the 2nd cylinder and did some 2 stroke on the pipe revs. It won't idle but getting some smoke is progress.

I think my next step is to take it down to the lake and run it on the trailer. Just let it get hot and see if it can blow itself out. The fuel doesn't smell terrible so I think it might just need a good blow out to make it run.

I'll update as i keep working on them.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the fuel system, and especially the carburetors, needs cleaning (with genuine carb rebuild kits), there is no work around. Running these engines hard with fuel system issues, especially clogged or gunked carburetors, is risking a lean piston burn.

There are tiny fuel filters inside the carbs. They cannot be cleaning by running the engine longer or harder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There are tiny fuel filters inside the carbs. They cannot be cleaning by running the engine longer or harder.
    Odds are there was ethanol fuel in there before and it all turned to gum. Running like that is just going to keep shoving gum into the filters, some will get through.

Been there, done that, never again. He should be taking stuff apart and inspecting it. Running it is going to turn a small problem into a big one.

Thread Information