Two 2005 STX-12F Project!

Hey All,
    I just picked up two 2005 Kawasaki STX-12F's along with a trailer for WICKED CHEAP. I don't know anything about jetskis but thought this was something I couldn't pass up. I want to get these running so my kids and I can play next summer.

I would like to get the service manual for them as well but the local dealer says they can't get it. So if anyone has thoughts on this please let me know. I was struggling with ensuring I got the right one during Google searches.

I'm trying to go through them and get them running. Can I get some guidance as to the things to check so I don't ruin anything? I had to start with a new battery, so I have that. The great thing is I have two of the exact same jetskis so I kinda have spare parts.

I think these have been sitting for a couple of years on a boat lift on the Elizabeth River. Oil looks good and clean.

Jetski-1: Powers up and starter seems to engage but will not turn over the motor. It's like it is trying but can't turn over (seized?).

Jetski-2: The meter display just blinks "Kawasaki" in the lower left hand corner (maybe top left). I switched this out with the other meter from the other ski and it did the same thing. This has been the one I have been playing with because it seems to be an electrical issue.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Pull the jet pumps and then try to spin the engines. The wear rings in the pumps can swell and lock the pump up. This will keep the engine from turning.

+1
    Welcome aboard, cato3!

FREE isn't such a great deal in a lot of cases. It's easy to spend more in repairs than the 'Ski is worth.

There are manuals available on Ebay. Here's one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-je...QAAOSwA4dWLCwc

What does the second one do when you try to start it?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Check the thread in my signature. If you pull the pumps, don't crank the motor over with the starter. Only rotate the engine by hand.

If the gauges are bad, I can flash the ecus to 2004 spec to keep them out of slo mode.

Sean

5. +1 by:

andeo1025,

I will pull the pumps to determine if it is the pump or motor that is locked up.

Steve45,

I'm optimistic that with doing the repairs myself it will be worth it, plus I get to learn about them. I got that manual coming thanks!! Keep forgetting to check Ebay.

Nothing on starting. It appears to me that the ignition switch is bad on JS-2 because I don't have continuity between the red and red/white wire with the switch on. I just checked that tonight.

Thanks guys!! This is a great start!!

+1
    I bought an STX-12F & STX-15F as a pair. Both had battery ground cable problems that had been improperly repaired. Another thing to check is all the electrical connectors in the harness. There is a termination plug on the lower right front portion of the hull that sits in water if the hull gets any in it. Very difficult to remove the cap, but can wreak havoc if (when) it corrodes.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    1. Pull pump.
    2. Remove spark plugs
    3. Grab hold of coupler and turn by hand.
    4. Assuming they turn check end play - make sure crank does not move at all fore/aft. You can check this using a bar but be very gentle. Your just checking if they move, not trying to make them move. The pumps can go bad on these and take the bottom of the motor out,
    5. Check all electrical connections including grounds. Make sure they are landed clean on the block with no corrosion.
    6. Make sure you are using fresh and good quality batteries.
    7. Make sure ALL old fuel is out of the tank and tank is clean. Check fuel pump. Make sure it is clean and functions.
    8. Assuming all above is good with fresh fuel, good plugs in torqued to spec (always) and a good jet pump bolted up (you MUST check bearings on pump so only bolt up on spline shaft with 4 long bolts just to try and start) turn orange key on and turn it over.
    9. Compression, fuel, spark. This is what you need first.
    Lotsa guys on here know more than me. Take their advice. I have plenty of engine parts and harness if needed. No fuel pump though. I do have a used jet pump. Let us know how things progress and what you find.
    Good Luck!!
    There are guys on here that know more than myself but I'd start with this.

+1
    If they were used in salt water, for sure the jet pumps are locked up. They can be a pain to remove, and some guys will cut the drive shaft. I have a better way to get the pump off that has worked for me every time.

I'd pull the fuel pumps, drain the gas and clean the tanks before trying to start the motor. You can test the fuel pumps while they are out. Last thing you want to do is to pump old contaminated gas into your motors.

If they were sitting on a lift for years, they probably weren't winterized or prepped for storage and the valves probably have a corrosion build-up. I would invest the time to pull the intake manifold and exhaust manifold to be able to visually inspect the valves. Sticking valves can cause engine damage if you crank or start the motors.

Thread Information